Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread: Starbucks' vegan list

Default Re: Starbucks Vegan List

So, each time I go to Starbucks I get different answers. I've been to a few that have said that the mocha syrup they use has milk ingredients, but on Tuesday night I went to one and the girl went to the back, checked (?) and said it didn't have milk ingredients.

I feel like I'm taking a survey... I should start one officially, ha, see how many stores say yes and how many say no for the same product...

Do you guys usually ask to see the actual container to read it for yourself?
    The problem with your gene pool is that there's no lifeguard.

Every time you pay with the (Starbucks) RED Card until the 31st December 2010 we will contribute 5p to the Global Fund to help people living with AIDS in Africa. You can also benefit from additional value and rewards (such as free syrups, an extra shot or free Wi-Fi) when you register your (STARBUCKS)RED Card.
    http://starbucks.co.uk/en-GB/_Social...RBUCKS)RED.htm
    (You also get free soya milk if you pay with a Starbucks card.)
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

If you pay with a starbucks card then you get free soya milk!

Do I get a prize for being the 4th person to say that in this thread?
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Mine had virtually no filling in it:
    Oh my... that's the saddest panini I've ever seen.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Mine had virtually no filling in it:

http://twitpic.com/n5jwc

Plus being a panini it doesn't taste as good if not warmed up, which obviously I did't choose as there's no cleaning of their equipment between use. Wish they still did the wraps - they were far better,
    This x100

Went into Starbucks a couple of weeks ago and was so disappointed. They have got rid of the only vegan option and replaced it with something that is very plain and has virtually no filling and has to be had cold

I really don't understand how they think they can cook something on their greasy meaty grill and sell it as vegan. Either they need to use separate equipment or stick to pre-made stuff for vegans.

The man offered to put some paper around the panini while it cooked, which would've probably soaked up all the meat & cheesy gunk. Blurgh.

Used to go there every now and then on my lunchbreaks for a treat, think I will stick to shakeaway instead

Does anyone happen to know whether the new/seasonal syrups (toffee nut, black cherry and there may be another one) are vegan?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    Does anyone happen to know whether the new/seasonal syrups (toffee nut, black cherry and there may be another one) are vegan?
    I wrote Starbucks last winter and asked them if the black cherry mocha is vegan, and they said yes. (It's also delicious, btw. )

Ask elahiya (if she doesn't appear on this thread soon!) about the toffee nut--I think she told me the syrup's vegan but not the sprinkles they put on top so you have to ask them to hold those.

How about trying a local coffee shop instead? Avoid giving money to big corporations like Starbucks!

Quote sabreeno6 View Post
    How about trying a local coffee shop instead? Avoid giving money to big corporations like Starbucks!
    I've never been into a local coffee shop that has offered me soya milk. It's a shame as I'm right with you on shopping locally when one can, but sometimes you need to strike a balance.
    Quitting something because it's hard is wrong, and quitting something because it's wrong is hard. One takes cowardice, the other bravery.

Mahk

Avoid giving money to big corporations like Starbucks!
    I've often heard from many on this and other forums that large corporations are inherently evil and should be boycotted, but I have yet to have anyone provide me with a logical explanation as to why. Care to explain why we should punish businesses that are so successful that they expand beyond one location and become a chain? How many locations exactly does it take to make a corporation evil and worthy of boycotting? Would this apply to you and your family as well if you were to go into business or should we not boycott your business if it proves successful and expands?

P.S. Any responses from anyone along the lines of "Well it should be perfectly obvious to all and therefor needs no further explanation." I will consider an evasive cop out.

RubyDuby

black cherry mocha sounds delicious!
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

One reason for me personally would be to spread out the wealth. Lessen the gap between the rich and poor. Also the coffee shop I go to put's 30 percent of it's profits towards non-political, philanthropic causes, at both the local and global level (http://thelostbean.com/philanthropy.html). From what I've read about, the CEO of Starbucks is an alright guy. I would just rather give my money directly to someone in my community. Act locally!

Mahk

^Excellent answer: responsive, direct, rational, non-combative, non-condescending, non-judgmental, and thoughtful. Thanks.

Quote mariana View Post
    I wrote Starbucks last winter and asked them if the black cherry mocha is vegan, and they said yes. (It's also delicious, btw. )

Ask elahiya (if she doesn't appear on this thread soon!) about the toffee nut--I think she told me the syrup's vegan but not the sprinkles they put on top so you have to ask them to hold those.
    the dark cherry/toffee nut and gingerbread syrups are vegan, no worries. the toppings are not, same goes with their egg nogg creation (unfortunately it is prepared and got eggs in it)
    http://vegangothfairy.wordpress.com

The gingerbread syrup is vegan?! AHHHH, I've always wanted a gingerbread soy latte!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Quote RubyDuby View Post
    black cherry mocha sounds delicious!
    It is! I prefer the UK seasonal offerings to the US ones (not to mention that more of them are vegan), although in my pre-vegan days I quite enjoyed pumpkin spice lattes....I wish they'd make those vegan.

Quote Elahiya View Post
    the dark cherry/toffee nut and gingerbread syrups are vegan, no worries. the toppings are not, same goes with their egg nogg creation (unfortunately it is prepared and got eggs in it)
    I didn't realize the gingerbread was vegan!

Zero

I presume by local you mean local and independent? I would probably consider that but all of my local coffee shops are chain stores.

I say support independents, but beyond that support vegan options and products even in the chains and multinationals.

My local shop uses 100% organic AND fair-trade coffee/tea products. They also offer SOME vegan pastries and sandwiches. They allow local groups to host meetings there. They have local artwork for sale. Starbucks? Not sure.

I would much rather give my hard-earned money to a local business that actually listens to their customers requests. As in ... they carried organic Stonyfield soy yogurt until I told them it wasn't vegan. A couple of days later, the Stonyfield is replaced with Whole Soy which IS vegan. Try doing that at your local Starbucks.

And the coffee just tastes better than Starbucks!

Awesome Shelly!
    The shop I go to does the same! 100% organic and fair-trade coffee and tea products. They are big on environmental issues and used all recycled cups and offer you ceramic mugs to use while enjoying your drink in the store. Many local groups meet their as well. The fundraising they do is amazing! 30% of profits go back into the community and towards global worth-while causes. Love to hear about small businesses giving back to the community and caring about their own impact on the environment!
    If slaughterhouses had glass walls, everyone would be a vegetarian. ~Paul McCartney

Mahk

Quote shellymi2nv View Post
    My local shop uses 100% organic AND fair-trade coffee/tea products. ... Starbucks? Not sure.
    Starbucks is the largest buyer of fair trade coffee in the world and has a planned timeline for a total conversion to exclusively fair trade within the next few years.

and offer you ceramic mugs to use while enjoying your drink in the store
    Doesn't Starbucks do that in your area? They do here although in some smaller central London stores they only have paper cups.

Quote Mahk View Post
    Starbucks is the largest buyer of fair trade coffee in the world and has a planned timeline for a total conversion to exclusively fair trade within the next few years.
    I think all of their espresso in the UK is fair trade now.

The last three times I've tried to order one of the Xmas syrups they have insisted they must charge full price (£3.20 with soya milk) instead of the normal price for a latte with soya and syrup (£2.64). Apparently this has come down from head office. So annoying.

I like getting the cinnamon dolce latte with soy, but I do hate paying an extra $.50 for the soy. Stinks, but I do it since I want a coffee. Hopefully, this will change some day.

Buddha Belly

Starbucks are going to a local homeless daycentre in London next week. Free coffees for all. I have arranged to meet some of my clients there for that day!

Zombie

What about the Green Tea Frap? is it dairy ive wanted one since before i started my veganism...

Why the hell do we have to fork out an extra 35 pennies when soya milk IS ACTAULLY CHEAPER the cow's milk?!?!??!?!

Quote King View Post
    What about the Green Tea Frap? is it dairy ive wanted one since before i started my veganism...
    It's a creme based drink, so yes, there is dairy in it.

Zombie

Quote RangerChic View Post
    It's a creme based drink, so yes, there is dairy in it.
    ah crap ...im not gonna lie they are delicious...but officially off limits...
    "See no, hear no, speak no evil. Leaves you deaf, dumb and blind."

Quote RangerChic View Post
    . . . but I do hate paying an extra $.50 for the soy. Stinks, but I do it since I want a coffee. Hopefully, this will change some day.
    Quote veganese View Post
    Why the hell do we have to fork out an extra 35 pennies when soya milk IS ACTAULLY CHEAPER the cow's milk?!?!??!?!
    I hate to repeat this again but . . . for the benefit of RangerChic and veganese:-
    If you pay with a starbucks card then you get free soya milk!
    Do I get a prize for being the 4th person to say that in this thread?

RubyDuby

awesome.

Quote veganese View Post
    I guess because they should only heat the milk up once, and there is a good chance that a lot of it will be wasted as *less* people drink soy milk... however, still annoys the boobies off me, so I drink in Costa where soy milk is a free upgrade.

RubyDuby

I don't understand? They only heat up enough milk for each drink.

I think there is some wastage, for example, cappuccino have a lot of foam and (with my own experience of using a home frother) you need to have a bit more milk than you use as some of it will be unfrothed at the bottom.

But, that might just be my sloppy homtech.

On this note, I went to Bicestor Shopping Village today (the La Crueset store was calling) any they wanted £2.90 for a small cappuccino, this was before I would have had to add on the 'ethics tax' for soymilk. Needless to say I left the shop thirsty! They are about 2.30 in all the other local stores. Is this the price they are in London or is it just over priced as they think people are a captive market in retail villages etc?

Quote Marrers View Post
    I hate to repeat this again but . . . for the benefit of RangerChic and veganese:-
    Ha, okay. So, just get a re-loadable gift card and use it. That is worth doing then. Thanks.

I found out yesterday that Whole Foods not only does not charge for soy milk, but they offer almond milk as well in their drinks. This is a good thing. Mocha with almond milk tastes delicious.

Got my Starbucks card today! So, I did pay for today's soy and syrup, but I will no more.

Not sure if this is right place to post this, but I remember reading this topic a while ago, and was reminded of it today when I got this news at work: Starbucks (at least in the US) is getting in a new line of goodies that are healthy and veg-friendly. There are some nut cluster snacks, some dried fruit, vegan cookies (gingersnaps, chocolate chip, and sugar cookies), and even a raw food bar. I'm both excited about not having to be stuck with oatmeal and fruit cups at work and nervous about how much my waistline is likely to expand.

Sorry if already mentioned....think this is just in the US at the moment, but hopefully in the UK soon!

http://www.thisdishisvegetarian.com/...ookies-to.html
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

Looks good!

Bit more news about the vegan cookies, etc...

http://www.ecorazzi.com/2010/01/25/s...menu-offering/

No word on UK Starbucks yet :/
    "I am not mystical: it isn’t as if I thought it had a spirit. It is simply in its element. That gives it a kingliness, a right." [Sylvia Plath]

WooHoo!!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Personally I don't go to Starbucks but I've just read on Facebook that they're going to replace all their porcelain mugs with bone china.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ace-drops-mugs

You can email them at ukinfo@starbucks.com if you want to let them know why this is a bad idea.

Quote Risker View Post
    Personally I don't go to Starbucks but I've just read on Facebook that they're going to replace all their porcelain mugs with bone china.

http://www.guardian.co.uk/business/2...ace-drops-mugs

You can email them at ukinfo@starbucks.com if you want to let them know why this is a bad idea.
    I stopped going there ages ago, too. Costa is way better, cheaper and they don't charge extra for soya, and ive noticed they have better opening times. I doubt emailing them on the mug issue will make a shred of diffrence as I'm sure all of the mugs have already been produced (or money has at least swapped hands). Maybe it's better to go for paper cup for those that do drink there (not environmentally friendly I know!). I wonder what they'll do with the old mugs as it seems like a waste-maybe the customers will be allowed to take them(yeah right!).

I got this reply today.
    Thank you for taking the time to contact Starbucks Coffee Company.

Please be assured that we have checked with our supplier who has confirmed that our new mugs do not contain animal bone ash and that a synthetic material is used in its place.

They will be lighter and more elegant and will feature our new evolved logo.

We appreciate your interest in Starbucks.

Yours sincerely

Jacqui Wetherly
    Customer Care Manager

Hello Marrers! That's v interesting, thanks - it never occurred to me that they could make bone china without using bones. I would have thought it was a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act, not that I'll be complaining of course! (ETA although I realise they make baby oil without using babies, before someone points it out! )

Thank you for posting that, Marrers!
    "You're right, Jackie. The Fonz could beat up Bruce Lee."

Quote harpy View Post
    Hello Marrers! That's v interesting, thanks - it never occurred to me that they could make bone china without using bones. I would have thought it was a breach of the Trade Descriptions Act, not that I'll be complaining of course! (ETA although I realise they make baby oil without using babies, before someone points it out! )
    I don't think they can, I think it was wrongly described as bone china.

I got the same reply as Marrers.

Interestingly enough, they didn't bother responding to my additional comments that it was a massive waste of energy to scrap all their existing mugs and that thinner mugs will mean drinks cool quicker and thus aren't at a drinkable temperature for too long. If I'm overpaying for my hot drinks, I want to me able to linger over it

Personally, I go to Costa for coffee and Starbucks only for their hot chocolate.

Quote Ms_Derious View Post
    Interestingly enough, they didn't bother responding to my additional comments that it was a massive waste of energy to scrap all their existing mugs and that thinner mugs will mean drinks cool quicker and thus aren't at a drinkable temperature for too long. If I'm overpaying for my hot drinks, I want to me able to linger over it
    Maybe that's exactly what they're going for. People who want to stay for a long time would have to buy more drinks or they'd get cold and those just staying for one drink would drink it quicker, freeing up space for more customers. I wonder if they're altering the capacity of the mugs as well...