Thread: Weight gain: Is it normal?

Default Weight gain: Is it normal?

First of all I have to say I have always been a fit person, went vegan and I have never had any weigh problems, I thought! .... until now! I went to my gp for a check-up and got weighd... first thing the doctor said to me... you have to lose weight!! I remember I used to weigh 9 stone, I weigh 14 stone now! Thing is I don't see myself fat. I didn't say anything about my veganism as I didn't really see the point. I've read many posts here saying that people have lost a lot of weight... in my case it's been totally the opposite... am I the only one? is it normal?

Default Re: Is it normal?

hi quimet

are you eating a great deal of processed vegan foods, fake meats, soy ice creams, etc?
    or are you eating a lot more nuts and nut butters than before?
    alot of these types of foods are very high in calories.

i know what you mean about other vegans saying they lost weight... i didnt lose any when i went vegan either! lol...

i think sometimes when people go vegan they think oh great, its vegan, and eat a whole lot of food that, while may be healthy and vegan (ie nuts), is extremely high in calories and/or fat. i know that i have to be careful of that kind of thing anyway.

also, any change in diet may have an effect on the body... maybe just be mindful of your eating habits, and give it time... things may even them selves out naturally.

cobweb

hi quimet

i too have put on around 4 stone since going vegan, a mixture of eating way too many carbs and getting totally food-obsessed!. To be fair i'm also less active now, too, so it's a bit of both.

sugarmouse

Have you any idea yourself why you have put on weight?
    I agree with Petunia though lol there's a lot of yummy food to explore when you first go vegan, tis easy to become a foodie and the weight just creeps up.lol

MY diet is basically based on Juices (freshly extracted)+nuts, soups, vegetables, fruit, legumes and rice and bread. I have to say I hardly excercise (thing I've starting doing today). I'm totally anti fake meats.

One thing I've realised is that becasue of god knows what reason we believe it is important to follow some eating patterns such as breakfast-lunch-tea. I think this is the reason why I've put on so much weight. I think we should listen to our body and in my case, I used to eat without being hungry and I think that's the reason of my weigh increase. I will see how it goes...

I've lost about 35 lbs BUT I'm counting calories and trying to stay around 1400 and keeping a food log so I don't go overboard and to ensure that I get plenty of the right nutrients. (some days I tend to lean heavily on carbs and on others things like tofu, nuts and other proteins) I don't buy the traditional set meals I eat when I'm hungry and don't when I'm not
    "Fat bottomed girls you make the rockin world go 'round"-Queen

My weight fluctuates greatly. I put on shit loads of weight when I went vegan simply because I was eating crap. I weighed 13 stone. Now I'm down to 11 after lotsa healthy eating and exercising at least twice a week...sometimes five if I feel like it. Also giving up smoking has made me wanna eat crap which I am still battling with alot at the moment.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

cobweb

i find it so hard to eat when i'm hungry instead of at mealtimes because the others in my house are sticklers for mealtimes and i am the cook.

emzy that's hard when you give up smoking but just keep congratulating yourself on doing it!.

I'm surprised to hear this. I lost a lot of weight a couple of years ago before I was Vegan and I'm hoping the Vegan lifestyle will help keep it off (though that's not my reason for doing it).

Can someone explain what "stones" are? I've never heard of it and am very curious.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Stones are an old fashioned measurement of weight we Brits still use. Something to do with pounds and ounces. 16 pounds in a stone? I dunno cuz most of the time I'm working with KG these days although I grew up with the old styles Maybe somebody who lived through the metric system implimentation will be able to help you.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

There are 14 pounds in a stone. How do pounds and kilograms relate to eachother? I should know but I don't!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

1kg = 2.2lbs. I only know this so well because i used to have worm loads and loads of puppies at the animal rescue and the worming packs always state 'per kg' and i had to work it back to lbs!.

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    16 pounds in a stone?
    i think you are thinking of 16 oz in a lb.

don't forget quimet that metabolism also has a deal to do with how fast foods are metabolised. which is why your experience will vary from everyone else's.

Last year at a Literary festival, I was introduced as "The fattest vegan I know!" My jaw dropped - enough to stuff in a whole banana - because I knew I was a bit podgy, but this wasn't a weight-watchers meeting. I had to do a reading from my book, but I couldn't concentrate. Later I told my wife, who has no morals and so will eat anything, said - I told you to watch those handfuls of nuts you eat every time you pass the kitchen.

I blame my parents - don't we all - for passing on my appetite gene.

Geoff

My weight has fluctuated quite a bit since I've been vegan (and before) - I think whether I'm taking regular exercise or not is the most important factor because it seems to regulate your appetite as well as burning up calories. I never do anything other than brisk walking but the difference it makes is amazing. (In fact I had better get on and do some now )

I suppose the juices could be a bit calorific depending on what they're made of? The other thing that's easy to do is go overboard with the carbohydrates, which can apparently disrupt blood sugar and hence appetite - but if you stick to wholegrain ones it's usually OK.

puca

Mine hasn't changed, though my skin is brighter...

I eat too much rice for sure. I exercise 3 times a week, though need to push that more.

But I do feel healthier and happier.

puca

Quote quimet View Post
    First of all I have to say I have always been a fit person, went vegan and I have never had any weigh problems, I thought! .... until now! I went to my gp for a check-up and got weighd... first thing the doctor said to me... you have to lose weight!! I remember I used to weigh 9 stone, I weigh 14 stone now! Thing is I don't see myself fat. I didn't say anything about my veganism as I didn't really see the point. I've read many posts here saying that people have lost a lot of weight... in my case it's been totally the opposite... am I the only one? is it normal?
    How tall are you? And how long did it take to put on 5 stone?

How tall am I ? 1'80m Sorry but I dont know the English measure!
    Could it be 6 feet?? please somebody correct me if I'm wrong!

from 01/01/2007 'til now.

i also did start to put on a couple of pounds when i first went vegan. also i do a lot of strenuous exercise and i think that it makes me extra hungry, but i also agree with cobweb about becoming food obsessed. i was so involved in trying to find the best vegan alternative to everything that i didnt realize..i didnt really eat all of this food before. and um, the fact that dairy free ice cream is de-lish didnt help much either.

since i have discovered green juices and smoothies i've started to get back in to eating very healthy and controlling my urge to snack. i definitely have my days but i try. also, i have been making a lot of my own home made foods, even ice cream!! (the Vita-mix blender has changed my life! )
    my advice...portion control. and fresh and natural is best!!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Herbsman

Default Re: Weight gain: Is it normal?

I wish I could gain weight. I'm a right skinny F*

oh sure...rub it in!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

LuVegan15

When I first became vegan I lost a stone whithin the first month, and then I gradually put the weight back on and now I'm back up to 7 stone again.

I've stayed right on at 9 stone +-1lb / 126lbs / 57kg or so for quite a long time now .. not budging
    At 5' 5" / 1.65m so got a body mass of (57/1.65^2)= 20.8 .. normal range is 18.5-25 so not too bad ..
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Quote quimet View Post
    Weight gain can be an indicator of thyroid problems.
    Have you been feeling more tired than usual?

I lost weight, but lost it very slowly. I think its not only because I eat vegan food (I was vegetarian before and ate mostly vegan anyway), but I have just become very aware of everything I eat and have changed my food-eating lifestyle completely. I'm not sure how much I weigh now, but I do know I tried my pants on the other day from highschool and they fit (I had gained some weight in my first couple years of college)
    tabbouleh-bouleh

If you go back a few decades the stereotype veggie was thin, pale and wan and lived on a very brown coloured diet of lentils and whole grains - all very Neil from the Young Ones. Now the choice of veggie/vegan foods like fake meats, ice creams, chocolate, pies, pastries and cakes has vastly increased and it's possible to eat a similarly fatty diet to omnis. Twenty odd years ago all the veggie/vegans I knew were on the light side and quite a lot of the ones I know now are on the overweight side. Mainly due to all the convenience foods that are available now that weren't 20 years ago plus people don't get as much excersise these days I think.

He he - I love Neil from the young ones. My 6 yo loves impersonating him .

My husband is furious as since he turned veg he is as skinny as a stick. I tell him at least he is unlikely to die of a heart attack etc and he is really healthy.

I cannot say it has had the same impact on me and i am stricter than him

Bread is my downfall I'm afraid and baking cakes and cookies, but then I'm badly influenced by all the wonderful bakers on here and become impulsed to bake their recipes. Perhaps this could help you put on weight?

Since I minimalised the amount of processed stuff I eat, cut out all refined sugar, salt and flour and have begun to balance my meals....I have gradually lost my beer belly. Yes I had one from 5 years of binge drinking beer but with a little exercise and a healthier diet I have managed to get from 13stone to 11stone. I was 10 stone when I went vegan and then put on lots of weight. Thank fully I have lost it all now

cobweb

well done, emzy - hey you've removed all my major food groups though!

Did I mention I'm still drinking beer....

I have been gaining waight. I`m sure it is all the mexican I like to make. lots of calories and carbs. I can loose it when I eat fresh foods and juices.

I find that eating nothing but raw food for a couple of weeks or so, not only allows a few pounds to melt, but makes me feel alive, alert and energetic.

Geoff
    webbie geoffnelder DOT com
    my sci fi book has a vegan geoffnelder/exitbee.htm

I said to someone on another forum my weight gain must be due to fluid retention and he said it's more likely to be down to donut and cake retention.......wise words mate
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Veganism and weight gain

i have resently put on alot of weight in a short amount of time,
    around 9lbs in around a month (i have became vegan since that time)
    with having around 1,600 calories

i am used to putting on ALOT of weight,
    because i have hypothyroidism and hypoadrenalism,
    and also hypoglycemia,
    which i think all three of those problems normally make me put on weight normally,
    but it's been a so quick weight gain i wondered if becoming vegan has made me put on more weight than normal?
    has anyone had any experiences like this
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 14th, 2010 at 05:23 AM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread

Default Re: Veganism and weight gain

i lost weight going vegan. Though I do find that if i don't eat enough i start gaining weight. i don't think that 1600 calories is enough for me...do you think that may be the problem?

what do you eat on a daily basis?
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

just normal vegan stuff,
    fruit,vegetables and grains ect.
    i hardly have any vegan treats,
    especially cause' of my hypoglycemia (sugar allergy)
    though when i do, i still keep it within my calorie range.

First and foremost what are you eating now as compared to then? What triggers weight gain with your hypo-issues?

For me becoming vegan meant I cut out my main source of fat: dairy. So, I went from 155lbs to 143lbs in a matter of time. Mind you I'm 6t tall, so I'm rather lean. I'm a cyclist and I ride to work daily (I'm up to 147-150 now), so on a 2,000 and even 3,000 plus calorie diet I have a tough time even keeping on that weight. Eating this much is obnoxious. Physical exercise and eating small meals throughout the day instead of the typical 3 a day helps stimulate your metabolism which can help with weight loss.

well, i've had those health problems for a long long time,
    and affects me so much that i'm staying in hospital for some tests soon,
    but there seems like in my case i gain weight for no reason,
    whatever i seem to do.

and wow,
    your lucky you can eat that much without losing weight,
    even though you do lots of exercise,
    i have tried doing excessive amounts of exercise each day and i actually put on weight!!
    i think even having anything over 2,000 calories in my case would make me obese!!

Ha, It depends how much I ride. I probably over eat on commuting days since I only commute about 15 miles round trip on weekdays.

Anyway... Sorry to hear about the health problems. This is probably left best to a specialist and it's probably nothing related to veganism because it seems like you're doing a healthy diet.

Lots of interesting people on this forum perhaps someone with similar issues may come a long.

Best of luck!

thank you

patientia

You probably need thyroxine dose increase.

I gained 35 lbs over the course of the five years after I went vegan.

I also lost 35lbs the next 5 years.

Weight gain has little to do with anything more than calories in and calories out. More calories go in than out = weight gain. If you are drinking lots of juices, the stomach and mind don't count that as "calories", and it is VERY easy to get many more calories than a person expends.

Juices are NOT a good way to loose weight. They are a great way to gain weight and mass and energy if you are an athlete. Heck, that how Michael Phelps gets much of his 10,000kcal diet. It is hard to eat that much food, but easy to drink that much.

If you want to loose weight, stick to food that you have to chew a lot. That makes it easier. In the end, the only thing that matters is calories in vs. calories out, vegan or not.

Good luck! And remember that weight is not the only, nor best measure for health. You might be healthier now at a larger weight than before at a lower one.
    context is everything

Hi everyone,

when i got vegetarian, i put on weight very fast because i was eating only pasta and cream... when i started eating correctly, i lost part of my weight. When i got vegan, i did not put on weight but i did not lose either... Then i have today around 15 Ibs to lose if i wanna reach my ideal weight

I gotta say that i'm a great chocolate lover and i do not pay attention to ho much I eat, so I don't worry, i'm pretty sure that the reason is there (and i do not practise any sport regularily anymore, so my activity is lower than it has been before)...

patientia

If I don't track my calorie intake, I gain about 1 kilo per week. If I eat 2000 kcal/day I gain weight. If I eat 1600, I lose weight. I do have hypothyroidism, and I have to check my hormone levels again because it seems that I'm underdosed.

i don't actually take medication for thyroid now (or adrenals)
    because i took thyroxine and it made no difference (i was on 100 mcg)
    even though my thyroid was low and still low
    (as well as my adrenals)

I've just lost 18 pounds. I had to cut right back on pasta, potatoes and bread and have larger portions of veg (I don't exclude food groups tho'). I got very big after going vegan due to eating huge portions, nut butters and too many carbs.
    Portion control is essential no matter whether you are vegan, veggie or omni. Sadly as we found out vegan food does have calories in
    Silent but deadly :p