Thread: Weightloss & running

puca

Default Weightloss & running

I'm currently trying to lose weight as I am just outside my BMI and have took up running.

I run around 9-12K a week, 3-4 sessions and also consider my diet to be very healthy.

After around a month I have only lost 1KG, I feel this is pretty slow. I started running at Easter and want to be lighter so I can be faster and more active.

I was wondering if anybody can recommend me what meals and size portions a young woman like me should be eating.

I would like to lose around 10KG by next year if I can and run some long races.

Help!!!

Good sperm

Default Re: Weightloss & running

Eat plenty (2000+ cals a day) lots of carbs, fruit and veg and lots of water. Aim for 60% carb, 25% protein and 15% fat as a rough idea. Keep fats to unsaturated, natural fats in nuts, avocados etc. Avoid refined sugars and flours. If you're hungry EAT.
    This will keep your metabolism up, as will running.

And bear in mind that you'll be building muscle so you may not lose any weight. Go on measurements, how your body changes, how your stamina and cardiovascular threshold improve, not your weight.

Sounds like sound advice there AMF.

Unfortunately no matter how fit I think I am, I cannot run for more than 100metres. Maybe something to do with all the shit I have in my lungs from smoking for so long and the fact that I had phenmonia when I was 6. I'd love to run but the closet I get to it is a very slow jog on the x-trainer at the gym.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote emzy1985 View Post

Unfortunately no matter how fit I think I am, I cannot run for more than 100metres. Maybe something to do with all the shit I have in my lungs from smoking for so long and the fact that I had phenmonia when I was 6. I'd love to run but the closet I get to it is a very slow jog on the x-trainer at the gym.
    Don't worry too much about it, Just keep it up. Little steps, Small goals. That's the way to go.

I started off barely makeing it a mile, Now I can run around 2 at that same pace in only 2 good weeks of training. Don't push yourself too far, Just enough that you have to work for it. Keep a healthy diet with plenty of water and you should be fine.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

Good sperm

Quote Animosity View Post
    Don't worry too much about it, Just keep it up. Little steps, Small goals. That's the way to go.

I started off barely makeing it a mile, Now I can run around 2 at that same pace in only 2 good weeks of training. Don't push yourself too far, Just enough that you have to work for it. Keep a healthy diet with plenty of water and you should be fine.
    +1

I started off unable to jog round the block. I'm now running half marathons. It'll take a while but go slowly (I repeat S L O W L Y)
    Pace should be comfortable - you should be able to hold a conversation. Then just build it up slowly.

I agree with everyone, you have to start building up slowly. I could only one a block at first and by the end I ran a half marathan. Of course, when you start loseing weight it becomes easier as well. Think about running with a 20 pound back pack on. I'm in great shape and I can't imagine having to run with that extra 65 pounds I used to have.

My relationship with running was a strange one. I'd feel horrible when I'd start running. I just didn't want to do it but towards the end I felt great so I did it anyway. I haven't run since December but I've found so many exerises I like better so I'm ok with it. It helped me make my goal weight a couple of years ago though and for that I'll always to grateful to it.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

do people recommend jogging for a short fixed time or a certain distance or circle from home? i'm actually thinking about up and down my road but tbh that is not very far and prob only take 5 mins. is it worth it for that short a distance? it's all about confidence with me.

Sure it's worth it. I like doing a circle though, back and forth was always boring to me. Whatever makes you feel good you should do!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

puca

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    Eat plenty (2000+ cals a day) lots of carbs, fruit and veg and lots of water. Aim for 60% carb, 25% protein and 15% fat as a rough idea. Keep fats to unsaturated, natural fats in nuts, avocados etc. Avoid refined sugars and flours. If you're hungry EAT.
    This will keep your metabolism up, as will running.

And bear in mind that you'll be building muscle so you may not lose any weight. Go on measurements, how your body changes, how your stamina and cardiovascular threshold improve, not your weight.
    My stamina has definatly improved.

maybe I am hoping for too much too soon regarding physical change.

puca

Quote emzy1985 View Post

Keep at it.... I have dyspraxia, which makes it harder to build muscle, stamina and co-ordination (I cannot run a bike... poo ). The trick is just don't think about it, just run and feel your body and be aware of your surroundings.

I had never run anywhere except for the bus before i started running with my brother. My first run was 3kms!
    He dropped me of and drove 3kms up the road and said 'jog at a slow walking pace but don't walk' and so i did, it was hard going but mostly becasue i felt a bit silly.
    Now i love to run! Sometimes i hate the thought of it after a long day but i always feel so good and satisfied afterwards.
    My trick for hard days is loud music that has a good tempo for the pace i intend to run - or a range so you naturally change pace without even realising. Al Green is good for a easy pace and fun run!
    I also find that if i can get lost in thought then i don't really notice im running!
    I dig smoothies for a post run refil!

Good luck!

cobweb

Quote puca View Post
    Keep at it.... I have dyspraxia, which makes it harder to build muscle, stamina and co-ordination (I cannot run a bike... poo ). The trick is just don't think about it, just run and feel your body and be aware of your surroundings.

good on you for running!. My son is dyspraxic (also on the autistic spectrum) and i realise how hard it can be.

JC

i've just taken up running too! wow, it must be that time of the year or something, everyone seems to be into it i used to avoid it because of my 'athsma', but i've come to realise that it's not athsma, i'm just unfit, lol. i go around the fields near me, the views are beautiful, and it gives me a chance to think. i've only been doing it for a week, but i can do about 10 minutes, which although it doesn't sound like alot, i'm quite proud of

Hi puca.
    About weightloss and running I have an interesting book I have just finished reading : Allen Carr`s Easyweigh to loose weight. He has some interesting thoughts and approach to the theme. Also exercise and weigtloss.

Was at the gym yesterday and was just powerwalking on the tredmill and was thinking random stuff when this thread popped up. I cranked the speed up the 9 and ran for 5 whole minutes. I remembered from here that even 5 minutes is a start. I was exhausted afterwards but I guess if I keep it up it will get better. I was also pleasently suprised by how many calories I burned in just that small amount of time.
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Good going new runners! I love running too - and can vouch for the fact that it does get easier!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

How to build up stamina - I saved this advice from somewhere, can't remember where. Unfortunately I've never got past week 3. I keep starting and stopping

Week 1 Run 1 min, walk 2 mins. Repeat 7 times. Do at least 3 times a week. Total = 21 mins
    Week 2 Run 1 min, walk 1 min. Repeat 10 times. Do at least 3 times a week. Total = 20 mins
    Week 3 Run 2 mins, walk 1 min. Repeat 7 times. Do at least 3 times a week. Total = 21 mins
    Week 4 Run 4 mins, walk 1 min. Repeat five times. Do at least 3 times a week. Total = 20 mins
    Week 5 Run 8 mins, walk 2 mins. Repeat 2 times. Do at least 3 times a week. Total = 20 mins
    Week 6 Run 12 mins, walk 1 min, run 8 mins. Do at least 3 times a week. Total = 21 mins
    Week 7 Run 16 mins, walk 1 min, run 7 mins. Do at least 3 times a week. Total = 24 mins
    Week 8 Run 20 mins, walk 1 min, run 6 mins. Do at least 3 times a week. Total = 27 mins
    Week 9 Run 25 mins, walk 1 min, run 4 mins. Do at least 3 times a week. Total = 30 mins
    Week 10 Run 30 mins, leap for joy!!! Total = 30 mins
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Well done!

i just started running again and i feel great afterwards. it has really given me extra motivation to keep in shape and eat healthy. i don't run anywhere near a marathon distance, but around the block a few times and i'm feeling good. good luck everyone...

Before I got sick this week I was starting to run at the gym. 5minutes walking then 5 minutes running x2. Was actually getting quite good at it.

heat13

Quote emzy1985 View Post
    Before I got sick this week I was starting to run at the gym. 5minutes walking then 5 minutes running x2. Was actually getting quite good at it.

Emzy, wow running on speed 9 on the treadmill is awesome! Even for 5 mins! That's great! I am sure you will be back at it in no time. Do you juice fresh veggies/fruits? Since I started juicing about 4 years ago, I have been sick only like once or twice (and I am pretty sure it was from too much wine/beer haha). Juicing makes me feel great- and gives me tons of energy to workout (I did my half marathon last Sunday with nothing but juices/smoothies and a few handfuls or raw nuts and dried fruits that entire week before!)

I agree with everyone else, that healthy and long-term weightloss is SOOO SLOW! I have tried everything in the past- and I definitly would NOT recommend any of those fad diets or "miracle pills". Honestly, nothing will work for good unless it is something you can stick with your whole life. You need to make it a lifestyle change- not just a "diet". I think running/cardio is a huge step in the right direction. Make it a habit I feel the same as you all do about not wanting to run at first- but then afterwards you feel so good! I think most of the battle is just getting started.

Since becoming vegan, I have acutally gained weight on the scale numbers, but I could care less. I LOVE the way I feel! I LOVe all the new tastey foods I am experimenting with and feel happier than ever! I know in the long run I am healthier than I have ever been! Weight is just a number. It's all about how you feel

heat13 - This is the first time I have been sick since being vegan and it is kinda serious. I can get on with everyday things but can't do any exercise at the moment. Hopefully next week I should be getting back into it...with a month off. So I'll be starting again really.

Oh well I shall keep it up

i've kicked my but out today and went for a run. so i grabbed my mp3 player and set target on 25 minutes ... i had to re-set it twice. i guess i ran altogether about 40 minutes and walked for about 20min ... did some streching exercises as well. it feels SO good right now ... have to start running more often again.

sugarmouse

I got a question..as some will know from my posts I have recently decided to stop using the treadmill at the gym for running, and started to do it outiside round the local park/block or whatever.
    I have noticed it is getting easier although at first twas a lot more exerting than running on a treadmill.
    I am getting to like it.
    But I am wondering..at the gym I was running for maybe half an hour, few times a week (every other day or more usualy) But because running uotside is more strenuous for me I cant do it for so long, (yet) I do ten, fifteen,absolute max twenty minutes.
    But I feel like it is making more of a difference physically to me that the treadmill did..I feel fitter and my weight is under control.
    Is this possible, or perhaps my current fitnes is down to my diet, or perhaps just the aftermath of my exercising for half an hour at the gym most days up until recently.
    I hope that question makes sense..I was worried about losing my fitness level by not being able to run for as long when i quit the gym.
    It is obviously cheaper to exercise this way, better for my well being aswell I think..

Good sperm

If it feels harder, it is harder. Treadmill running is easy as it regulates your pace and the gradient. 'Real life' running is less consistent. Just build on what you can running outside, you'll still be increasing your fitness.

heat13

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    I got a question..as some will know from my posts I have recently decided to stop using the treadmill at the gym for running, and started to do it outiside round the local park/block or whatever.
    I have noticed it is getting easier although at first twas a lot more exerting than running on a treadmill.
    I am getting to like it.
    But I am wondering..at the gym I was running for maybe half an hour, few times a week (every other day or more usualy) But because running uotside is more strenuous for me I cant do it for so long, (yet) I do ten, fifteen,absolute max twenty minutes.
    But I feel like it is making more of a difference physically to me that the treadmill did..I feel fitter and my weight is under control.
    Is this possible, or perhaps my current fitnes is down to my diet, or perhaps just the aftermath of my exercising for half an hour at the gym most days up until recently.
    I hope that question makes sense..I was worried about losing my fitness level by not being able to run for as long when i quit the gym.
    It is obviously cheaper to exercise this way, better for my well being aswell I think..
    You may find it harder to run outside because of the elements you don't have on the treadmill- like wind, hills, etc. The treadmill is a consistant pace. I like running outside better than the treadmill too. The more you run, the better your endurance will get and the longer you will be able to run. Don't worry about how long or far you go- the good thing is that you are getting out and moving

To build up your endurance you can switch between walking and running. Run for 5 minutes and walk for 1 then run 5 etc. Gradually make your running interval longer and eventually you won't need the walk intervals. This way you'll be able to exercise longer with the breaks.

sugarmouse

Thanks for the responses everyone I do feel better for it plus obviously it feels more like 'real' exercise when you are outside.
    I am quite liking my body aswel.. I feel quite nice at the moment.