Thread: What is your favorite breakfast cereal?

veganrunner08

Default What is your favorite breakfast cereal?

Hello,
    I stumbled upon this website today as I've been really interested in a vegan diet and think I'm ready to take the leap.

Just curious what your favorite breakfast cereal is, considering trying to get some good vitamins and minerals to start the day!? I usually eat Bran buds, and granola but I haven't checked either label to make sure its vegan yet and I wonder if there are better options out there.

Thanks for any input!
    Karen

JC

Default Re: What is your favorite breakfast cereal?

hmm, i'd check the label on the granola, usually they add honey to it (just to be annoying, i'm sure). i like to make my own with maple syrup. it tastes much better than any granola you get in a packet. my favourite cereal currently is doves organic chocolate stars, but not sure if you can get them in the US. but i tend to eat them too quickly, so now i'm on chocolate porrige

If you worry about getting a hit of vitamins at the start of the day, consider having a fortified soya milk, rather than a fortified cereal.

I love mini shredded wheats (not Nestle I might add!) with hot Oat Milk.

Do you eat a wide variety of fruits and vegetables throughout your week? Fortified cereals may not be as essential as the advertisers would have us believe.

I love Maple Frosted Organic Flakes by Whole Earth the best. Swimming in soya milk.
    Yummy and sweet.

My fave right now is Optimum Slim by Nature's Path. It has a variety of grains and keeps crunchy in milk, and is just sweet enough.
    veganhomemade.wordpress.com

Any kind of muesli as long as it doesn't have too many raisins in.
    Silent but deadly :p

PEANUT BUTTER PUFFINS!!!! best cereal ever!!!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

cinnamon or peanut butter puffins

kashi cinnamon harvest

both with vanilla hempmilk...mmmm
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

I love Jordans crunchy cluster cereal with nuts in.

I eat quinoa flakes or oatmeal w/ banana and ground flaxseeds everyday. I like it
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I eat Nature's Path Flax Plus Multibran Cereal pretty much every morning and it is amazing! I like to mix it up by adding different combinations of fruit/nuts in it like banana/date/walnut, strawberry/banana, blueberries, etc. It is also really good with vanilla almond milk, and the flakes actually get better the longer they soak in my opinion. I highly recommend trying this cereal- seriously I'm kind of addicted! Nature's Path also makes a flax pumpkin seed granola that is great.

I like old-skool cereals like Corn Flakes, All Bran, Shredded Wheat and Weetabix (or at least the stores' own-brand clones) and pretty much any muesli especially Dorset Cereals Super High Fibre (might not be available outside the UK). Envirokidz Gorilla Munch is good too even with a silly name. Oh, and Grape-Nuts are great with sultanas and hot oat milk on a cold morning.

There's a cereal called Peace here in the US. You can usually find it only at health food stores. It's expensive but it's the best vegan cereal I've had. The Very Berry one in particular.

There is a cereal called "Optimum Power" in the supermarkets here. I haven't tried it but the name cracks me up.

Mahk

I can't find corn flakes without vitamin D3 anywhere here. A few weird brands (Peace, Erewhon etc) but they don't taste right.

I feel so pedestrian after reading about all these delicious cereals 'cause my favorite is and always has been Cocoa Pebbles. *ducks to avoid possible flying objects* I don't eat much processed food, and this one is certainly a guilty pleasure. As a rule, I hate wet cereal and eat it dry with a glass of vanilla almond milk on the side. (This rule applies to shredded wheat, oats, and all other sorts of tooth-killing crunchy things.)

And oh yeah, it's vegan. *smacks lips*
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

heck yeah Mila...that is some yummy stuff! i used to like the fruity one too!!
    The greatness of a nation and its moral progress can be judged by the way its animals are treated.~ Mahatma Ghandi

Quote sinarei View Post
    I eat Nature's Path Flax Plus Multibran Cereal pretty much every morning and it is amazing! I like to mix it up by adding different combinations of fruit/nuts in it like banana/date/walnut, strawberry/banana, blueberries, etc. It is also really good with vanilla almond milk, and the flakes actually get better the longer they soak in my opinion. I highly recommend trying this cereal- seriously I'm kind of addicted! Nature's Path also makes a flax pumpkin seed granola that is great.
    I love Nature's Path Flax Plus cereal! It is just so good! I eat it almost every morning. It is the cereal I have ever had by far!

My favorite cereals would have to be froot loops, fruity pebbles, and cinnamon life. Hahaha I'm a 4 year old at heart! =) Oh well, it happens! lol

Uncle Sam Cereal. I don't know if they have it all over the US, but one bowl of this stuff will keep you full until the next day

Barbara's Bakery Peanut Butter Puffins. I hardly ever eat them anymore though. They cost almost $8 for a box, which is SERIOUSLY ridiculous!

treaclemine

Home-made muesli and a multivitamin - the most affordable way to get exactly what I want

What are Peanut Butter Puffins? Vegan peanut butter crunch or something?

Quote Roxy View Post
    Barbara's Bakery Peanut Butter Puffins. I hardly ever eat them anymore though. They cost almost $8 for a box, which is SERIOUSLY ridiculous!

oh my goodness!!! that's crazy! I just bought a box of cinnamon Puffins for 3.99. i should just buy a whole bunch of boxes of p.b puffins and send them to you!!

Quote Mila View Post
    I feel so pedestrian after reading about all these delicious cereals 'cause my favorite is and always has been Cocoa Pebbles. *ducks to avoid possible flying objects* I don't eat much processed food, and this one is certainly a guilty pleasure. As a rule, I hate wet cereal and eat it dry with a glass of vanilla almond milk on the side. (This rule applies to shredded wheat, oats, and all other sorts of tooth-killing crunchy things.)

And oh yeah, it's vegan. *smacks lips*
    I was at a Ralph's yesterday, and the Cocoa Pebbles had this big banner saying it had added vitamin D, and I looked on back and it was vitamin D3. My parents have some Captain Crunches Choco Crunch that seem to be vegan, though (but expired in October or November).

Quote veggiemaya View Post
    oh my goodness!!! that's crazy! I just bought a box of cinnamon Puffins for 3.99. i should just buy a whole bunch of boxes of p.b puffins and send them to you!!
    It was $2.99 at the local Trader Joes.

Quote confusionisben View Post
    I love Maple Frosted Organic Flakes by Whole Earth the best. Swimming in soya milk.
    Yummy and sweet.
    those are my favourite too

delicious

Quote vercimus View Post
    What are Peanut Butter Puffins? Vegan peanut butter crunch or something?

Here they are: http://www.worldpantry.com/cgi-bin/n...cgrfnbr=881894

$2.99 and $3.99 a box!!? Wow! Next time I come down to the States, I'll have to stock up!

Good old Corn Flakes and All-Bran (not necessarily Kellogg's, I just buy the cheapest I find :P). They're fortified and yummy.

All Bran with sliced banana and loads of rice milk is great.
    Blackmail is such an ugly word. I prefer "extortion". The "X" makes it sound cool.

at the moment i'm eating Co-op's Choco Hoops, labelled vegan and fortified. they're good with rice milk.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

cobweb

*random cereal question* - are ricicles vegan?

Mahk

Quote cobweb View Post
    *random cereal question* - are ricicles vegan?
    It's fortified with "vitamin D". Most likely cholecalciferol, D3, which always uses sheep's wool as the base material according to my research. Don't let a company's claim "But our Vitamin D3 is synthetic!" fool you; they still need a base material to work with. I'm not making a judgment call here, just passing on the information. PeTA for example lists vitamin D3 products on their "I can't believe it's vegan" site, for example.

I'm of the mind writing them to ask if the vitamin D is specifically D2 (safe for us) vs. D3 is a pointless endeavor because the whole reason they've decided to label the product with just a generic "vitamin D" is so that they can freely switch between them at will based on fluctuating costs. The answer you get in January may very well be different in February. What is one to do? Write them each month?! But then again we have scores of threads based on "writing the manufacturer" so I guess I'm in the minority position with that opinion.

The Cocoa Puffs I saw in the store (which was on the accidentally vegan list), actually specified D3. So definitely not. Another had unspecified vitamin D, so I avoided. But there are other chocolatey cereals.