Thread: Sea vegetables

Default Sea vegetables

I know sea veg is mega good for you and I'm trying to eat more, but I hate the taste ... it's so.... well, fishy!

I keep telling myself that it tastes of the ocean, but I still don't like it. I've got some sprinkles which I put in sandwiches and soups and all kinds of stuff.

Do you eat it? Do you like it?

Default Re: Sea vegetables

I really like the vegan fish-style steaks, I think they're made by Redwood foods. Though I tried some frozen ones, not sure who by, and they were gross. Maybe just try a few different products? Seems a bit hit and miss.
    Last edited by chickpea_chica; Apr 16th, 2008 at 04:38 PM. Reason: I wrote cakes instead of steaks. Doh.

RebeccaDye

I hate the taste seavegetables too.
    I just put a tiny amount in almost everything I eat, about a teaspoonful.
    That way, I can taste it very slightly in everything, and I stop noticing it

You could try making crispy seaweed or get seaweed tablets if you feel you're really missing out.

I like adding the dried flakes to veg. stir fries. It tastes right somehow and you can see it's seaweed and not fish I also like the sushi rolls wrapped in nori but have never attempted to make them myself.

The only way I can eat sea veggies are sushi rolled in nori. I just hate the taste otherwise!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

My whole family likes 'em. My family, when I was growing up, vacationed frequently along the northeast coast, so I really love the 'oceany' smell. WE also spent 4 years in Okinawa where they use lots and acquired a taste for it. Great in soups, vegan udon, tossed in Ramen noodles, sushi etc. If you cook it just right you can sort of french cut Kombu and get it to have the texture of carrot sticks. My oldest Daughter is constantly using mixes of chopped Nori Hijiki etc. with sesame seeds / Gomasio on stuff. The annoying thing, tho, is pretty much every time I have some sea vegetables in my lunch at work, my supervisor says something like "Oh, Wow, somebodies having fish"
    pq

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    The only way I can eat sea veggies are sushi rolled in nori. I just hate the taste otherwise!
    Same! Sometimes they put it in the miso soup, and I even have to pick it out of that

I love sea vegetables and should eat more of them. Of course, before I was a vegan, I loved sea food of all types. I grew up on the Jersey shore and eating lots of fish, clams, shrimp, etc. is just part of life here.

Miso soup with sea vegetables is divine!

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

i only really see the nori sheets and nori flakes. it's mainly dried - maybe i'm not looking properly.