Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together

Talking Let's get fit and healthy together

OMG, yesterday I was aiming for 10 minutes on the jump rope but I only lasted 2 minutes before feeling like dying. So I did some dancing/walking instead.
    Last edited by Korn; Apr 17th, 2008 at 12:22 PM. Reason: This and the next few posts were moved from this (now closed) thread: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=8027
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: Let's Get Fit and Healthy Together!

Marrers, I think doing 20-30 mnutes of the trampoline sounds just fine. The reason peole recommend taking rest days is when doing very intense cardio or strength training, the muscles need a rest to repair. This is because exercize actually tears muscle fibers in the process. Without a rest day, the fibers will not heal probably! Also, if you take a rest day, and say, do yoga, or arm strengthening, you will get a more well-rouded workout and see the results more all over your body. Sounds like you're doing awesome on the trampoline!!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Tigerlily,

Jump rope is the worst!

I think it gets pushed because it is so hard on your body but so easy to do.
    it is wrong for a man to eat anything that causes someone else to stumble

Ugh, I know. I'll stick to dancing!

I'm pleased with my stamina and ability to do 20 minutes plus without being too out of breath but I'm struggling with my leg muscles. They really seem to be struggling these last few days - I could only do 10 minutes today and that was torture.

ETA Why not just do a minute or two and build up Tigerlily? You can't expect to be able to go for long when you first start but you'll be surprised at how much you can improve in a short time. I couldn't do more than 10 star jumps when I first started but now I can do 30 at a time.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together (2)

This week I joined my local gym. My last membership lapsed a year ago so it was a bit of a shock getting back into structured excercise, especially as I wasn't eating nearly enough at the time.

I want to gain strength (for drumming and lifting heavy items at work) but have always struggled to build any muscle. It can be very daunting with all the stocky guys in the gym, and it makes you think twice about using the equipment there because I'd be setting it to a comparatively low setting.

You have to start somewhere Aubergine - don't worry about the other guys in the gym - they were once in your position too!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Pilaf

Don't worry about what other guys at the gym are lifting..they'll be more impressed if you have the good sense to lift a weight you can actually handle than if you try to show off and hurt yourself.

Quote Marrers View Post
    ETA Why not just do a minute or two and build up Tigerlily? You can't expect to be able to go for long when you first start but you'll be surprised at how much you can improve in a short time. I couldn't do more than 10 star jumps when I first started but now I can do 30 at a time.
    Yeah! Every now and then I'll try doing a little bit of jump rope. When I was a kid, I'd spend my whole lunch hour at school playing skip rope. I have no idea how I did it!

I loved to jump rope too Tigerlily, I would jump at school & home on the sidewalk for ages and ages I loved it. Singing all those silly jumping songs. I still like it but it's not the same.

good for you aubergine!

first thing today i ran a circuit up and down my road.

- well when i say ran i mean i jogged for say 100yrds then walked for 15 paces or so. it took me about 8 minutes and i felt really puffed and wobbly afterwards. i felt tired the rest of the day! how out of shape am i!

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Yeah! Every now and then I'll try doing a little bit of jump rope. When I was a kid, I'd spend my whole lunch hour at school playing skip rope. I have no idea how I did it!

I was thinking about that when you brought it up! How on earth did we do that? Do children raise their hands over their heads more? Maybe reaching for things?
    That is the worst part to me, I hardly ever raise my arms any other time.

I'm really short and most places aren't short friendly, so I'm still raising my arms up all the time.

Hehehe, I'm always climbing up on stuff. My skinny arms get tired just braiding my hair. That would be a funny goal! "I am exercising so that I have the strength to plait"

sugarmouse

I am going to start posting again on this thread, as I miss having somewhere to log my exercise so I cansee how much I have been doing and if my fitness level is gettin better.I had started keeping a diary of it but I kept forgetting,whearas on here I doubt I will do that. I just wont post diet-related,just exercise.

Yesterday-did approx 18 minutes of running round the block and over some of the park....
    Today, did my dumbells , and part of a fitness video. I am hoping to go for a quick run round the block later aswell.I am just getting into outdoor running, trying to save money by quitting the gymedit-later on did few laps of the block.

Would someone be interested in being my internet workout partner? We could check in with each other.

We could PM each other. But I'm still taking it easy so I'm not really "working out", just exercising a little bit each day.

My father took my bike out from the basement and adjusted the seat for me. He also took my brother's bike up too. We might start to go biking. I'm really excited!

I've been a bit crap these last few days, the trampoline jumping has gone down from a regular 20 minutes to scraping 10 minutes a couple of times in the past week and over the past 3 days I've missed a day and only done 5 minutes on the other two days.
    I'm finding it hard going with leg fatigue and not seeing much results (in terms of toning up my thighs which is what I was hoping for).
    Plus a touch of boredom as Treehugga predicted!

My food intake has been a bit erratic too and although I haven't gained I haven't lost either. And I'm drinking a little too much (which affects my eating as after a few glasses of wine I get the munchies for crisps and other rubbish).

All in my control of course but at the moment I feel like I have no self discipline!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Tin-Tin

hey hey
    i'll be somebodies buddy
    i NEED motivation badly
    i have a weekly workout plan all figured out
    i just need the motivation and somebody to keep reminding me to get on with it
    so aslong as they are willing to shout obscenities at me
    i will most graciously shout them right back =P
    haha no
    i'm not quite that bad
    but i do need somebody who will be stern and tell me to "get off your fat arse and do some excersice" .. or something along them lines

anybody kind enough to be harsh with me?
    youl be doing me a favour honest . . and you can vent your anger at the same time =D

Hi all! I've been trying to take better care of my health and reverse the damage years of being ill has done to my body. I currently am trying to maintain my weight, if not lose a few pounds. I'm aiming for 30 min of exercise a day along with a healthful (but not overly restrictive) diet. I want to post my workouts here to keep myself accountable.

Today: I felt weak and sore so did a 25 minute walk and 100 crunches. I plan to stretch a bit before bed. Tomorrow I want to incorporate some yoga and jump roping to mix it up

Hi brighteyed I wish you all the best as you recover from your illness and get fit and healthy again

I haven't been "trying" to lose weight lately - but I got on the scale this morning - just out of curiosity. It seems I'm down to 132 pounds now. Still a nice healthy weight for my height - though 3 pounds less than when I last weighed myself quite a while ago.

Wow, that's great Roxy.

sugarmouse

Yesterday did 20 mins x trainer plus a bit of weights and part of workout video, and some sit ups.. today didnt get time to wipe my a** nevernind exercise, because have helped my friend move house.I am shattered though!Somehow that must count, lifting boxes, up and down stairs countless times....

Tin-Tin

yup
    that counts double missy
    =]
    GO YOU
    =]
    i've just competed the first day of my new workout schedule
    so fingers crossed
    and now im off to shoot some hoops in the sports centre
    whoop
    catcha ya'll later
    =]

Today I was reduced to a short walk and some jumping jacks due to a sprained ankle. I'm feeling lazy now, maybe I'll try to do something later. I really want to get more active to raise my metabolism.

Today I went for a 30 minute walk but didn't wear my walking shoes, just some regular sneakers that are more style than anything. My back and legs hurt now. Baaddd idea, Nadine. You have flat feet and feet problems, you should know better!

Sounds like we are all on the injury bench! I have hurt a muscle on the outside of my calf, it hurts from knee to ankle when my foot is in certain positions. Yesterday my (trainee OT) friend said it is probably from holding my foot at the wrong angle as I jump (I also have foot problems, am meant to wear shoe inserts but don't). She has told me to rest it for a while. But as it happens I've done hardly any jumping over the past few days, because of other commitments, and frankly it seems to be getting worse rather than better. In fact before I only noticed it when I had my leg up on my other knee to put on socks or tights (which pressed on that muscle).

So I'm a bit peeved as well and worried if I stop regular exercising I'll never get back to it, as I've been a bit like that in the past with things - once I break the routine that is it.

I've been really trying to watch my food intake and make myself exercise more often. I've lost 2lbs since April 11th! And I cheated so many times too. Imagine if I didn't cheat? This has really motivated me to continue with this.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I break the routine that is it.
    For me too

My friend was doing a great job keeping me motivated but he's been so busy lately, I've slipped up a bit !
    I need a personal trainer or something, someone to shout at me

I'm sure I'd benefit from that too but I'd feel too angry and resentful for it to work, I think I'd just refuse to do anything!

I'd be the same way Today was okay, I walked around a lot while shopping and I did a good 30 minutes of calisthenics and some stretching. I ate some "extra food" today which is bugging me but it's probably better to shift my intake slightly to keep up my metabolism, right? anyway, i will try to do more (and eat less) tomorrow!

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    Wow, that's great Roxy.
    Thanks. I think it's because of my new job. I'm constantly moving and during the day I have to lift lots of heavy things (like 50 pounds) and move heavy stuff and whatnot. It's a bit more strenuous than my old job.

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together

OMG, I'm so unfit - went swimming yesterday and felt okay whilst there and during the rest of the day, but everything hurts today !!! I can't lift my arms at all !

Quote scarlett View Post
    OMG, I'm so unfit - went swimming yesterday and felt okay whilst there and during the rest of the day, but everything hurts today !!! I can't lift my arms at all !
    I get that every time I go to the gym, but I like to think it's because I got a decent work out. Well done for earning those aches

Thanks
    I'm hoping it'll get easier/not so many aches each time I go !!??

The problem with doing so much or pushing yourself so hard that you ache is that you then can't do anything til you feel better! That is counterproductive!
    Not to say I haven't done it myself in the past but now I prefer to go slowly and keep building up.

The trouble is that I'm not sure how hard to push myself, when I was actually swimming it felt fine, didn't hurt or feel like I was overdoing it, it just felt awful when I woke up this morning. So, next time I'm not sure how much I should do - less than this time ???

I'm in no way an expert on exercise so someone else might have better advice but my guess would be about the same now you have stretched yourself. As long as you don't leave it too long before going again. If you leave it a while I'd do a bit less.

sugarmouse

I did 20 min sprint today happy-not been well this weekend so havent done much ..will do my weights later,did bit of them lasnite

I haven't exercised in two days but my food intake has been okay. My portions are a lot smaller than they used to be. I was able to fit into a pair of old jeans today, yay!

Woohoo Tigerlily

sugarmouse

Hey Tigerlily that is ace.I konw that feeling, better than orgasms!Lol

That's awesome, Tigerlily!

Today I did pretty well, considering it was too cold and wet to go outside. I did 10 min high intensity (very fast) jump roping, about 20 min calisthenics, and spurts of 50 jumping jacks about 5 times throughout the day. Yay me! Hopefully my old pants will fit again soon.

Wow great work brighteyed!

sugarmouse

I am always moaning about not being able find a decent exerise vid..but recently I been using youtube-bits of work out videos are on there and theyre good!I just do 3-4 of them usually takes me bout half hour-use dumbells for more intensity

I've lost 5lbs! I couldn't believe my eyes this morning when the scale told me so!

Today I resisted the temptation to eat a bunch of French fries...I only had a handful (normally I'll have a whole plate of them). I also exercise, I did 6.5 minutes of running and 10 minutes of dancing. According to my Daily Plate, I burnt 138 calories in just 16 minutes. If the rain stops, I'll go for a walk this evening.

Good going Tigerlily!

My mom even told me that I look slimmer in the belly. I think I lost the 5lbs all my stomach since most of my dance moves include doing wannabe belly dancing moves.

sugarmouse

Yay Tigerlilly!!!

Thanks.

How is everyone else doing with their goals?