Page 10 of 12 FirstFirst ... 8 9 10 11 12 LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together

Thanks Puffin, your workout sounds good too

And I do the same thing Daffodil, I will be really good food & exercise wise for a few weeks or months and then I seem to stop and do nothing. I'm hoping to keep it up this time

I walked for 60 mins on Saturday & Sunday.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

:'( dissertation is killing my work out, I hand it in on wednesday though...hopefully will be posting back then with some serious fitness!!!

Aw, that stinks squigaletta. I get so mad when work gets in the way of my health.

I did spin class today, kickboxing yesterday and tomorrow is body pump. Woo!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

40 mins on the elliptical
    20 mins walking at high incline & 6.0 speed

90 or so reps on the hip adductor in between, using 40kg weight. also managed to use a 47kg for 10 reps
    vegan and proud.

since we've come across occasional warm streaks in the northeast united states I've had a few days back commuting by bicycle. Today I made it to class in 25-30 minutes (its just under 8 miles from my door). Which is a 15-18mph average. Not bad which a bag of stuff on my back and some big hills to climb, I'm satisfied. I wanna start working on upperbody strength but ehhhhh don't have much at home and I just can't seem to get myself into the gym.

I'm soooo sore! Anyone's armpit area hurt after lifting weights or am I just a freak?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I've been walking 60 mins 2-3 times a week and since it's now been 4 wks since minor surgery I did 45 mins of a 60 min aerobics dvd on Saturday as well.

I really want to go back to Bikram yoga classes but they're a bit expensive. I need to make myself do it at home instead.

Bikram classes at home? Can you get your house that hot?

Yesterday, in my duathlon, I had killing thigh cramps about 1,5km into it. Don't need to tell you how fun the rest of it was. I feel a little down now for such a poor performance but it certainly taught me a lesson - I need to train much more.
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

I ran yesterday for the first time in about 6 months and I managed to do 6.6 miles. I was quite happy with myself until my mom said to me "but Diane, a marathon is 26 miles!". I wanted to say "screw you, it's my first day out, I haven't even started training, it's already a quarter of the distance and I have 6 month left! Oh, and you wouldn't be able to run around the track once if your life depended on it." But it's my mom so I didn't. Then she was giving me a hard time because my legs were sore and made it out like I'd never be able to handle it.
    Grrr....

aw dia, mums can suck sometimes!
    Dissertation is over and I am back on it , I eased my self i with about 5 hrs of dancing on saturday night, but that doesnt really count! Today I cycled to Bath, about 2 hrs of cycling, and then did body pump this evenig, pretty tired right now! but hoping to go swimming tomorrow morning. yaaaaaaaaaaaaaay!!!!!!!

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Bikram classes at home? Can you get your house that hot?
    Haha, well I considered just doing the poses and when it's 37-40 degrees here then yes my home is that hot!

This week I cycled for 40 mins on Mon & Weds and did the aerobics dvd for 60 mins on Tues & Thurs.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    Haha, well I considered just doing the poses and when it's 37-40 degrees here then yes my home is that hot!
    I was so confused reading this thinking "but that's nearly freezing!". Then I remembered Celcius...

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I ran yesterday for the first time in about 6 months and I managed to do 6.6 miles. I was quite happy with myself until my mom said to me "but Diane, a marathon is 26 miles!". I wanted to say "screw you, it's my first day out, I haven't even started training, it's already a quarter of the distance and I have 6 month left! Oh, and you wouldn't be able to run around the track once if your life depended on it." But it's my mom so I didn't. Then she was giving me a hard time because my legs were sore and made it out like I'd never be able to handle it.
    Grrr....
    Nobody trains for a marathon by running 26 miles every day! They do what you do which is work up. Usually the longest you would run is 19 or 20 miles in training and that would be just a few weeks before the race. Just nod and smile - it sounds like you know what you're doing.

I cycled 40 mins on Friday and Saturday. Yest'day I cycled 30 mins and this morning I did aerobics for 60 mins.

yesterday:
    20 min walking / running up hill
    20 streching/yoga
    20 min walking / running up hill

today:
    20 min yoga ...

later

running up hill, maybe some yoga

As well as doing aerobics on Tues morning I cycled for 30 mins in the evening, and again on Weds for 40 mins. I did aerobics for an hour on Thurs and yest'day as well

i've set myself a regime...weds and thurs (without fail, maybe extra days if i feel like it) after work i do 40 mins of aerobics (dvd infront of tv),

sunday and mondays: exercise bike and free weights

it's working so far and i'm enjoying it.

better to set days i find coz if i wait till i feel like it, then i never do!

Also, everytime i go to eat now, i ask myself am I HUNGRY or is it just meal time. have found that most of the time I eat from habbit.

want to lose 2stone by july for a "party" around the beer gardens in cardiff (a yearly tradition) - got some sexy jeans to get into.

Has anyone tried the P90X program? We just ordered the dvds and I plan on starting as soon as they arrive, it is a 90 day program. The reviews were all really good, I just need to come up with my own nutritional guide to follow since the one included isn't very vegan friendly.

45 minutes on the elliptical - 'bout 500 calories.

Weights for about 20 minutes.
    vegan and proud.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    i've set myself a regime...
    Same here, on the mornings I go to work later I have time to do aerobics on the days I got to work early I cycle in the evening. On weekends I try and get up early, esp. as I no longer work Sat'days and either walk, cycle or aerobics. If you know when you have time then you can plan it better and more likely to do it because you made the time to do it.

On Monday I cycled 70 mins and yest'day I did aerobics for 60 mins in the morning and cycled for 55 mins in the afternoon.

In my sleepy state I misread the title of this thread as 'lets get filthy together' ... anyhoo moving on ...

I keep meaning to go running, join a gym or do something to get fit. I can't handle a flight of stairs without panting for air afterwards, things are dire I'm sooo lazy though so even though I really do want to get fit I probably won't as I lack motivation when it comes to physical exertion!
    Go Vegan, stay Human

Quote TheAlterEgo View Post
    In my sleepy state I misread the title of this thread as 'lets get filthy together' ... anyhoo moving on ...

I keep meaning to go running, join a gym or do something to get fit. I can't handle a flight of stairs without panting for air afterwards, things are dire I'm sooo lazy though so even though I really do want to get fit I probably won't as I lack motivation when it comes to physical exertion!
    Once you get into a routine you won't feel like that anymore. The trouble is starting...

I did yoga today. I've only ever done it a couple of times. It was nice and relaxing but I don't feel like I "worked out"

I agree that sometimes after yoga you don't feel like you've done a lot because you basically stand in one spot doing poses but it can be so good for flexibility.

And I agree with finding a routine. Work out when you can fit in a 20-30 min walk a few times a week and build up from there

I cycled for 90 mins last night and did aerobics for an hour this morning.

I did an hour of pilates and oh my god!!

BlackCats

^ Is Pilates really difficult DiaShel? I keep thinking I should try it because of my back problem but I'm scared of looking stupid in front of a class of people who are much more co-ordinated and flexible than me.

I did half an hour on my rebounder yesterday and nearly died haha. I am keeping it downstairs ready after I use it instead of packing it away upstairs and I am hoping to do 15 minutes a day everyday as I read in a magazine that doing that exercise has so many health benefits.

Quote BlackCats View Post
    ^ Is Pilates really difficult DiaShel? I keep thinking I should try it because of my back problem but I'm scared of looking stupid in front of a class of people who are much more co-ordinated and flexible than me.

It was SO hard. I do a lot of ab work and that kills me every time. It depends a lot of in the instructor. I'm really inflexible too but there are modifications for everything and a good instructor will tell you them. co-ordinated doesn't really matter. The breathing is really tough for me. When I have to do all those deep breaths I end up yawning the whole time, so much for "controlled" breathing.

What's a rebounder?

Quote DiaShel View Post
    What's a rebounder?
    Someone who consistently enters into less than satisfactory new relationships very quickly to make themselves feel better after the break up of an old one.

See also mini-trampoline.
    x
    Last edited by horselesspaul; Mar 26th, 2009 at 02:58 PM. Reason: keyboard is dying
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

BlackCats

Haha Horselesspaul.

^ It's a mini trampoline.

From next week i will have to do a fitness class every week. It is the new thing at work, one member of staff will have to be in every class. We have loads of classes a day and i dont know how its going to work out. Im not complaining because free classes in work time isnt torture but it just seems unrealistic and if i get all sweaty i will have to have a shower and my hair is long and it will take ages to dry. I was thinking if i could string the whole process over an hour and a half to avoid working Think i will do a body pump class but since i am new i have no idea what it is

^ Body pump is usually lifting weights, doing squats, crunches etc. No cardio.
    You don't have to wet your hair after working out! If it gets your out of working longer though go for it

well I HIGHLY recommend these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ministry-Sou...8182839&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ministry-Sou...8182887&sr=1-3

fantastic workout.

Makes you think too, as you have to learn the steps and they don't slow down to teach you (!) I do these at least twice a week now (indoor cycling on another 2 days).
    I pick my favourite bits from the 2 dvds and make up about an hours routine out of the 2 disks.

Quote Daffodil View Post
    well I HIGHLY recommend these:

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ministry-Sou...8182839&sr=1-1

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ministry-Sou...8182887&sr=1-3

fantastic workout.

Makes you think too, as you have to learn the steps and they don't slow down to teach you (!) I do these at least twice a week now (indoor cycling on another 2 days).
    I pick my favourite bits from the 2 dvds and make up about an hours routine out of the 2 disks.
    You and I are doing the same workout! I do the first Pump It Up dvd on Tues and Thurs and I cycle on my stationary bike on Mon, Weds, Fri and then one or both on the weekend.

I just bought the other one Deanne did but I won't be buying the ones with UK presenters cause the reviews for them aren't as good, neither are the previews I've seen. How do you think they compare?

Quote Kitteh View Post
    You and I are doing the same workout! I do the first Pump It Up dvd on Tues and Thurs and I cycle on my stationary bike on Mon, Weds, Fri and then one or both on the weekend.
    HEHE wot a coincidence eh! Hope we both keep it up.

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I just bought the other one Deanne did but I won't be buying the ones with UK presenters cause the reviews for them aren't as good, neither are the previews I've seen. How do you think they compare?
    http://www.amazon.co.uk/Ministry-Sou...8408478&sr=1-1
    This is the one that i'll probably buy next - I enjoy learning new routines. Gimme a few months with the latest one i've just bought (Still learning the one with the bloke presenter - dunno his name).

I have been doing this routine for over a month and am still enjoying it so far! But I want the new dvd so I can alternate between them.

There is a new class at my school gym now. It's called spin pilates. An hour of spin and a half hour of pilates. It was great!

Sounds like a good combination, DiaShel. Yest'day I did aerobics for 45 mins in the morning and then cycled for 50 mins in the arvo.

I haven't been on the forum in forever but I just came across this thread, and I love pilates, I try to do them every morning along with riding my bike as much possible since theres so many great bike trails around here.

I feel pathetic. I carried around my gym stuff all day and then didn't go. I came home and took a nap instead

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I feel pathetic. I carried around my gym stuff all day and then didn't go. I came home and took a nap instead
    Some days I feel too tired, and I think it's ok to rest up instead of exercising if you need it

On Weds I cycled for an hour and yest'day I did aerobics for 45 mins.

I went hiking for about 2 hours. It was a gorgeous day!

i couldn't get motivated this week. i did 30 mins on exercise bike on monday night and after that it's just been 2000+ calories a day and no exercise and even had a few vodkas mid week and went for an indian last night!! wot's happened to my willpower!!!!!????

i will defo have to get back into it soon - altho weekends are a bad time to decide that. I'll strive to do some exercise on sunday.

need motivation...help

cobweb

ah Daffodil i know just what you mean!
    I am all confuddled just now about exercise because if i walk too much my heel spur starts hurting and it now seems that my gym workouts are causing my hip to flare up and get very painful (*sigh*)

went swimming yesterday for the first time in ages though, that was great. Not too many people around for once, me and my son had the deep end to ourselves for half an hour!. I would love a pool of my own, preferably filled with filtered sea water .

Quote cobweb View Post

went swimming yesterday for the first time in ages though, that was great. Not too many people around for once, me and my son had the deep end to ourselves for half an hour!. I would love a pool of my own, preferably filled with filtered sea water .

oh yeah that sounds lush. I love swimming but I feel i haven't got the body to go in public in a costume just yet! I'm not hugely overweight but would just feel more comfortable losing a few pounds (my diet over the last week is not gonna help that!)

sorry to hear about your heel...hope it gets better soon

cobweb

thanks, it's been troubling me on and off for about 12 years - me and my dad always get the same things, he has bad hips, too, and had to have one replaced, he now has a heel spur, too .

Ironically my problems have all been brought on at a (relatively) young age because i was so fit and active when i was younger!. The heel spur came on because i used to walk miles and had a very active job (always rushing about on my feet all day), and the hip thing started very gradually when i had a bad riding accident when i was 20. I twisted my pelvis right out of line and damaged my sacroiliac joint .

Obviously i should have been more like my brother, a total couch potato

My Mum has heel spurs too, sounds painful, Cobweb And I have knee problems from playing lots of netball in my teens!

Quote Daffodil View Post
    i couldn't get motivated this week. i did 30 mins on exercise bike on monday night and after that it's just been 2000+ calories a day and no exercise and even had a few vodkas mid week and went for an indian last night!! wot's happened to my willpower!!!!!????

i will defo have to get back into it soon - altho weekends are a bad time to decide that. I'll strive to do some exercise on sunday.

need motivation...help
    I had that sort of week the week before last, I felt like I was eating a lot and didn't feel like exercising. But then this week I have been exercising and eating a bit better. It comes and goes in cycles for me.

On Sat and Sun I did aerobics for 45 mins followed by 45 mins cycling. And I got 2 new dvds to try out, MOS Aeroburn and Davina's Super Body Workout.

Decided to go running early in the mornings before it's daylight so nobody sees me.
    Problem is waking up that early. Also, I have to run in chucks until I get a job and can afford running shoes.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I'm going on holiday tomorrow and reckon I'm going to turn to lard after 12 days without going on the trampoline every day (well that and all the yummy vegan food and cake I plan to consume but I reckon that alone would do it).
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

cobweb

yeah but you'll probably do loads of walking round the shops Marrers, that'll burn it off!
    (and have a great time!)

Quote cobweb View Post
    yeah but you'll probably do loads of walking round the shops Marrers, that'll burn it off!
    (and have a great time!)
    I wish that were true!! When I was in OR and WA I ate so much good food and drank so much beer. I figured I was fine because I was walking and biking everywhere and even out hiking and backpacking during the weeks! I got back 10 pounds heavier... I put on weight really easy though.