Page 9 of 12 FirstFirst ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together

Quote BlackCats View Post
    I started exercising hurray. I did trampolining for 30-45 mins three times this week. It was really hard at first but today it felt much easier.
    I keep reading about rebounders, I might look into getting one

I walked 60 mins on Thursday morning and thats the last exercise I can do, where I raise my heart rate, for 3 weeks because I had a small surgical procedure yest'day. I might just try walking, but slowly.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

Quote squigaletta View Post
    actually my favorite thing to beat myself up with is soap in a sock, nothing spurs me on like it
    Hahaha.

Keep it up everyone!

I scored another hat-trick last night in a crowded game against the lads half our age. We won, just, but I wasn't counting. I wanted to take the match ball home (as was my right after three goals, I thought) but it belonged to the sports centre, killjoys.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

BlackCats

Quote Kitteh View Post
    I keep reading about rebounders, I might look into getting one
    I think they are great because you don't have to leave your house to be able to exercise.

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    Hahaha.

Keep it up everyone!

I scored another hat-trick last night in a crowded game against the lads half our age. We won, just, but I wasn't counting. I wanted to take the match ball home (as was my right after three goals, I thought) but it belonged to the sports centre, killjoys.
    Utter spoilsports!!

I think they are great because you don't have to leave your house to be able to exercise.
    Always good, I have a rebounder and thought it would be easy-peasy, I was wrong...it's a lot more taxing than it looks!

I've signed myself up for a 5K race this summer so once the snow and ice finally decides to clear I'll be strapping the trainers on and venturing outside...which I'm looking forward too!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Utter spoilsports!!
    Not as bad as when our Wayne scored a hat-trick in the Champions Weague against Fenerbache and the ref wouldn't let him have the ball..

I've signed myself up for a 5K race this summer so once the snow and ice finally decides to clear I'll be strapping the trainers on and venturing outside...which I'm looking forward too!
    Mind yer knees! 5k! That's almost as far as The 'Tov runs in a game. Go girl!

WildWitch

I used to be totaly obsessed with exercise and calorie counting. I was a dancer and dance instructor in my late teens to early 20's. Even after having my kids and having a job Id do at least 2 classes per day as well as an hour and half in the gym, an hours walk to the gym pushing my little girl in a pushchair up the hill to get there (she would spend half the day in the creche while i exercised).

At the time i thought it was the right thing, never thought id ever be unfit like i am now, never thought i could live without exercising. But when things start to go wrong and for whatever reason you cannot exercise to the extent your body is used to, thats when you feel it, getting unhealthy happens so fast, creeps right on you and then your self esteem goes, then you loose motivation then you end up where i am now.

My confidence is slowly coming back, iv achieved a lot recently but i know my health isnt as good as it should be. Its such a struggle and with my weight the way it is im finding it difficult to exercise. Wish i could get motivated, there is no way i will go to a gym these days and you can forget recommending classes. I need to exercise other ways which will also build my confidence at the same time.

Quote WildWitch View Post
    My confidence is slowly coming back, iv achieved a lot recently but i know my health isnt as good as it should be. Its such a struggle and with my weight the way it is im finding it difficult to exercise. Wish i could get motivated, there is no way i will go to a gym these days and you can forget recommending classes. I need to exercise other ways which will also build my confidence at the same time.
    But there is no magic wand or inspired moment that will afford you motivation. There is no need to join a gym to get fit, walking is a very good place to start - and as most people do it every day it shouldn't deplete your confidence as you won't stand out or feel 'silly'.

I've been there where I thought 'I wish I had the motivation' and 'I'm too overweight and unfit to exercise', but if you don't change and start doing something (even if it is just walking a little further every day, some push-ups off the kitchen worktop whilst waiting for dinner to cook, tricep dips off the edge of the sofa whilst watching TV, some crunches whilst watching TV etc etc) you'll never change your current situation.

The motivation and the strength to do more comes from actually doing a little every day and it getting easier and being able to do more as time progresses, not from sitting and wishing for it!

But there is no magic wand or inspired moment that will afford you motivation. There is no need to join a gym to get fit, walking is a very good place to start - and as most people do it every day it shouldn't deplete your confidence as you won't stand out or feel 'silly'.

I've been there where I thought 'I wish I had the motivation' and 'I'm too overweight and unfit to exercise', but if you don't change and start doing something (even if it is just walking a little further every day, some push-ups off the kitchen worktop whilst waiting for dinner to cook, tricep dips off the edge of the sofa whilst watching TV, some crunches whilst watching TV etc etc) you'll never change your current situation.

The motivation and the strength to do more comes from actually doing a little every day and it getting easier and being able to do more as time progresses, not from sitting and wishing for it!
    This is excellent advice, imo.

cobweb

yes, good advice.

Exercise does get harder as you age, i think. I am having to constantly re-evaluate what i can do these days, if i overdo things i get pinched nerves very easily, or cramp up at night.

I think i might go more for a programme of very gentle maintenance exercise with lots and lots of stretching. I'm tired of the vicious circle of going for it, loving it, then feeling the pain and having to take time off.

cobweb

btw, when i was in my teens/early 20s, i used to cycle 12 miles each day to work and back, and did a VERY physical job, too, including 3 - 4 hours of horse riding every day, and none of it seemed particularly difficult . Most of us change as we age (sadly), i guess the secret is to keep active because once out of shape it's so much harder to refind it again! .

not too active a week because of my essay, swimming, kickboxing and pilates was all I managed to fit in. but I did do the splits for the first time ever

I'm back to doing weights and situps etc at home now my fitness is improving. Don't want to be musclebound, just stronger on the ball when I play football.

not too active a week because of my essay, swimming, kickboxing and pilates was all I managed to fit in. but I did do the splits for the first time ever
    What's the splits?
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

http://images.inmagine.com/img/image...1/ih031047.jpg
    I'm not quite so cheery when I do it, but I can do it!!!!!!!!!!!

That would be great for when it's cold in winter

Quote DiaShel View Post
    What's the splits?

WildWitch - it must be hard from being super fit to not so fit but it happens to a lot of ppl, I guess it's easy to switch off or go easy on yourself and then let it creep up on you. I agree with just get back into walking and move on from there

OH, yeah, I knew what splits were , I just thought she was talking about some kind of workout with the same name. I've never been able to do a split in my life
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

^ Me neither. It's one of the more painful things I've ever attempted :'D

Thought I'd just pop my head in here, as I'm trying to get fitter myself after a lifetime of "OMG SPORTS ARE TEH EVILS!!11!"

I finally got back to the gym today after two weeks off with an injury (caused no doubt by my blatant abuse of the stepper machine), and it feels really good. Looking forward to going again tomorrow.

WildWitch

Now i may be overweight and unfit but i can still do the splits, its my party trick, you should see the look of surprise on peoples faces

yay! gotts love flexibility

the week so far has been pretty good
    monday-body pump
    tuesday-only 20mins swimming (it was really crowded)
    weds-super hard kickboxing session
    today-pilates

tomorrow hopefully swimming, and then maybe body pump again on sat (thought i am scared about getting hench!)

tomorrow hopefully swimming
    Just out of curiosity, does your swimming just consist of laps, or do you do something more? I'm thinking of occasionally going swimming instead of heading to the gym on ridiculously hot days and am interested in what other people do when they swim.

I'm back to doing weights and situps etc at home now my fitness is improving. Don't want to be musclebound, just stronger on the ball when I play football.
    Well, it seems to be working. I had a good game against the young 'uns. We won, I scored three goals again and shielded the ball well several times where I might previously have wimped out and let them take it off me.
    Good times.

Go us!

yeh I always just do laps. though I throw in a couple of 10s of laps with a handy floaty thing, to...you know..mix it up (how out there am I!). Do you like just swimming laps? Or are you looking for something more?

Yes, go you!!...show them whippersnappers who's boss!

Seriously, glad the things you're doing are bearing fruit as it were...you certainly sound as though you're enjoying yourself!

eta - that's meant for Paul, maybe a quote would have helped - Doh!

I haven't exercised in a week but I think I've waited long enough since being in hospital and I want to go for a walk tomorrow Not exercising makes me feel tense.

though I throw in a couple of 10s of laps with a handy floaty thing,
    Small child? Medieval witch?

Cheers Poison Ivy. No Giggsy me but a touch of the Michael Carricks again tonight for about a nanosecond.

Small child? Medieval witch?

Cheers Poison Ivy. No Giggsy me but a touch of the Michael Carricks again tonight for about a nanosecond.
    Nahh, two giants novelty fingers are generally my first choice, but I will settle for a small child so long as they have arm bands and moderate bladder control.

I walked for 60 mins yest'day, it felt good to get some fresh air and do some exercise.

Today I did a cycle sculpt class which is an hour of spinning followed by half hour of strength training. I thought I was going to throw up

Today I'm going on a 9 mile hike

WildWitch

I did 30 mins toning exercises yesterday in my bedroom including stretching, few sit ups/crunches, squats and used my fit ball for some leg strenghning exercises.

Went for a brisk walk today with the kids (including a hilly bit)

Feels better, really going to make an effort to start with half hour a day (at least for now) and gradualy increase this till im feeling fit enough to go swimming again or maybe enquire about joining the gym.

I did a duathlon yesterday. Here's me after I had already crashed.
    "We gotta go and never stop going till we get there." "Where we going, man?" "I don't know but we gotta go."

I did another 60 min walk this morning

I hiked 5.8 miles. Lots of up and down, some really intense scrambles too. It was fantastic.

WildWitch

Im just pleased to have done a short walk yesterday without having any panic atacks. Im getting there maybe. Does help more if my kids are walking with me, not sure why.

Im just pleased to have done a short walk yesterday without having any panic atacks. Im getting there maybe. Does help more if my kids are walking with me, not sure why.
    Maybe because you're not alone? And I am sure they enjoy being out 'n about with you

Go gang! Glad it's working out for you WildWitch, DiaShel, Kitteh, fresquinho et al.

We (Athletico Midtable) lost 5-2 to the best team in the league tonight but played really well and I actually scored the goals, not like Mondays or Thursdays where it's all friendly and sh1t, but real competitive football with a ref and everything! Forty-four ain't so bad tonight.
    Must...have...hot...bath...creak....ow..

Well at least you lost to the best horseless.

I ran 1 mile at 9.5 yesterday without dying so i am pretty pleased. On Sunday i could only manage 3 minutes before i had to stop so i have progressed pretty well. Smashed the car yesterday into a temp flood sign and ended up on a grass verge so cant make the gym again till its fixed but will go out running tonight.

Nice one puffin. Careful with those flood signs.

Okay...I have decided I need to start exercising again!

But I need low impacts and of course some weight bearing activities to prevent bone things.

So I have decided to do walking, with my special walking boots with ankle support and so on and walk all around especially up hills and down hills. Because walking is low impact but also weight bearing. Plus swimming so I get a cardiovasculor workout...

And then some resistance work/yoga/pilates to strengthen my muscles because I have joint hypermobility. lol

lol I went to hospital today you see...and I've decided I don't want to go back so gonna try and prevent things.

Plus start getting more calcium...and omega things.
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

WildWitch

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    Okay...I have decided I need to start exercising again!

But I need low impacts and of course some weight bearing activities to prevent bone things.

So I have decided to do walking, with my special walking boots with ankle support and so on and walk all around especially up hills and down hills. Because walking is low impact but also weight bearing. Plus swimming so I get a cardiovasculor workout...

And then some resistance work/yoga/pilates to strengthen my muscles because I have joint hypermobility. lol

lol I went to hospital today you see...and I've decided I don't want to go back so gonna try and prevent things.

Plus start getting more calcium...and omega things.
    ops dont know what happened there

WildWitch

Talking Re: Let's get fit and healthy together

Good luck from one witchy to another.

By the way guys, everyone lists body pump, pilates, hiking, cycling, aerobics etc. Lets not forget the best kind of exercise, burns calories, builds up a sweat, is nice to share with a friend and makes you grin the next day like this

Hehehe

Needs sleep

Nice one puffin. Careful with those flood signs.

Yes indeed Felt better knowing i wasnt the only one. The man at the garage said he had done the same. The problem was there is a turbo thingy in front of the dash so i had to move my head to see it and took the steering wheel with me, said he had relocated 4 of them from people doing the same kind of thing

Thank you, i was pretty pleased with my mile

Good luck from one witchy to another.

By the way guys, everyone lists body pump, pilates, hiking, cycling, aerobics etc. Lets not forget the best kind of exercise, burns calories, builds up a sweat, is nice to share with a friend and makes you grin the next day like this

Hehehe

Needs sleep
    I wouldn't mind changing my exercise regime for that

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I wouldn't mind changing my exercise regime for that
    Wouldn't we all!!

Managed to run for 13 mins yesterday without stopping, i think i could have done a few more mins but my shoe lace came undone and i didnt fancy becoming part of the mirror behind me. I am pretty pleased
    Oh forgot to mention, got a lift down the gym because i couldnt keep away, and i ran between 9.0 and 9.5.
    Last edited by puffin; Feb 19th, 2009 at 09:25 AM. Reason: To make sense from what i said previous

That's great puffin. I can't run 13 minutes on a treadmill to save my life. Yet I can run 13 miles outside... how odd...

Thank you . 13 miles Blimey. Would rather be able to run 13 miles than 13 mins

Went for another 60 min walk yest'day

Well done Kitteh
    I did a 6 min run, walked for 2, then 12 min run on the treadmill, 5 mins on the cross trainer and some sit ups.

I find it hard to get motivated. When I am exercising I enjoy it so much but it's just that first time.....

I've got a gym in my house (in one of the bedrooms) consists of multi-gym, free weights, exercise bike, steppers and rower; i've also got numerous work out dvds plus aerobic step, my boyfriend and I started playing badminton and squash a few months back, i started jogging in the summer....we even tried boxercise...i also recently bought a trampoline...

i've tried working out alone and with people but nothing holds my attention span for long.

i do all this stuff for a few weeks/month then i get bored, find some excuse to stop for a week then can't get motivated again to get back into it!

any advice???

a few years back i was so good i used to go to the gym practically every night after work and do aerobics at home and that lasted a good year and i was looking really good! you'd think the memory of how good i could look would spur me on but no!..... lol