Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst ... 3 4 5 6 7 ... LastLast

Thread: Let's get fit and healthy together

Default Re: Let's get fit and healthy together

I work for a independent company. The people that work there are pretty friendly and always put the customer first so its quite nice working there, i just need more hours

I really would like to go the gym but I'm really shy.
    a) I'm not fit looking and it seems only the skinny girls and muscley men go there
    b) I don't have expensive work out clothes (I'll be wearing baggy sweat pants and old tees)
    c) I don't know how to work the machines

Peace, love, and happiness.

Tigerlily, you sound like the perfect candidate for outdoor walking/ jogging! It's what I do most of the time and you see all sorts of people doing it-from the out of shape to the fit, the old to the young-and old baggy sweats are so well suited for it! Not to mention that there are absolutely no monthly fees involved, which is always good!
    The Maritime provinces are a little more temperate than the rest of Canada, no? So you can jog/walk well into November!
    Of course, I'm an avid walker who goes out in the middle of -40 degree weather so I'm a bit biased
    I have the simplest tastes. I am always satisfied with the best. ~Oscar Wilde

We get shy people in tigerlily and its the employees job to make you feel at ease. You will get an induction to show how the machines work and write you up a program to suit your needs. We also get quite a few people in who go to weight watchers, not everyone is slim and athletic.

sugarmouse

I know what u mean tigerlily.I always work out in old sweat pants and a vest..you are there to get fit, for you?Who cares.
    But then..if you join an independant gym rather than a chain you will find it wont be full of posers lol

The gym i go to is £18 a month or £2.50 ont door.That suits me fine. though I have gotten more into outdoor running lately.
    Maybe ud feel better if you got into brisk walking outdoor, running until you got a bit fitter then you would feel less self concious?Not that I think you need to , at all, anyway!

Quote Jasmine_tea View Post
    Tigerlily, you sound like the perfect candidate for outdoor walking/ jogging! It's what I do most of the time and you see all sorts of people doing it-from the out of shape to the fit, the old to the young-and old baggy sweats are so well suited for it! Not to mention that there are absolutely no monthly fees involved, which is always good!
    The Maritime provinces are a little more temperate than the rest of Canada, no? So you can jog/walk well into November!
    Of course, I'm an avid walker who goes out in the middle of -40 degree weather so I'm a bit biased
    I used to really love walking but I don't like it anymore. I wanted to do rowing machines or biking machines.

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I really would like to go the gym but I'm really shy.
    a) I'm not fit looking and it seems only the skinny girls and muscley men go there
    b) I don't have expensive work out clothes (I'll be wearing baggy sweat pants and old tees)
    c) I don't know how to work the machines

I'm shy too... It takes a while to get used to being around all the people but they aren't paying attention to you... They're busy getting in shape themselves so don't worry, Just do the same!

I'm not fit either. My gym does have a lot of skinny girls/athletic girls/muscle men types but it also has people that are at my level and even a few older and out of shape people.

I workout in baggy pants and T's. Nothing wrong with that! Those workout outfits aren't needed... As a matter of fact, They pretty look lame IMO. Very few serious people wear them at my gym. Only the newbies who are scared and want to appear more athletic than they are wear those mostly.

I didn't know how to work half the machaines when I joined... I read the instructions or watched other people use them. You could also ask the staff to help you out... but I was too shy to do that.
    Until we stop harming all other living beings, We are still savages.

tigerlily, if i can start to go at age 45 anyone can!! looking slim means nothing! ok, i'm a slim build with not much obvious fat, but i recently watched a programme which said that sometimes thinner looking people can have more fat hidden inside around their organs which is more of a serious issue than fat that shows.

i have zero stamina, and i mean ZERO!! i don't even think i could do more than maybe 30mins of exercise to start, and i'd have to take that pretty gently. i recently walked quite a long way into a town pushing my nephew in his buggy, i didn't realise how long the walk was, and the next day my knee really ached and felt numb.

i am going to buy a cheapo pair of jog pants and tshirt/vest and i might invest in a non-bounce bra as an extravagance, but i don't care who looks at me - they should be looking at their own equipment dials anyhow!

do you have a friend you could try it out with initially??

WildWitch

Im doing the Gillian McKieth plan, the diet is brilliant i just need to get exercising though.

We haven't got any gyms where I moved to-we haven't got much of anything, really. I have to drive 25 minutes to get to a Target and 15 to get to a Safeway. I live with four other people including the BF and I'm shy of trying to work out at home with all those people knowing...lol. Sounds stupid, but I feel chunky and gross. I sort of feel like if they saw me or knew what I was doing I'd just come off as a desperate fat chick. I'm not overweight but I'm not skinny, and it sucks 'cause the BF is in VERY good shape.
    So I just try to stick to eating very well and very minimally. It doesn't work, lol.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

I've been eating a lot healthier the last few week and just started going back to the gym. I think this has helped a lot with my depression. I feel happier than I have for a long time. I really want to keep this up as I don't want to go back to my depressed state again. The problem is I'm constantly having phases where I go to the gym then when I stop its really hard to motivate myself again. Anyone have any tips how I can stay motivated?

Also I desperately need to lose weight as I went up a dress size in the past year and I can't seem to shift the extra weight even when I do exercise. I've been given some Xenical. I'm a bit dubious about the side effects though, sounds really gross but anyway, worth it if it shifts some of my fat. Has anyone tried those pink patches? Sugar cravings are my downfall.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

How did you come by the Xenical? Was it doctor prescribed? Because I've heard some awful side-effects from people and I believed it was only used in morbidly obese patients.
    vegan and proud.

yeah to be honest i'm not sure it's a good idea to be taking weight loss pills.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

It can cause long-term, permanent medical problems. It is safer and more of a "vegan way" (imo) to lose weight through exercise and healthy eating.
    vegan and proud.

Hi Maisie - I know what you mean about an all-or-nothing approach to exercise! Would it be an idea to plan to do an event in about six months time - say a 5 or 10k run, or the Bristol Bike Marathon - and tell everyone that that's what you're working towards. That gives you lots of time to build up gradually, plus other people will keep saying "how's the training going?" which will help to keep you in the saddle, as it were.

If you really want a structured approach to losing weight, you could do worse than Slimming World, which is really vegan friendly and encourages you to eat healthily until you are full rather than getting obsessed with weighing and measuring etc. Stay away from the diet pills, hon - I believe they are the reason I struggle with my weight now.

Quote firstandthen View Post
    How did you come by the Xenical? Was it doctor prescribed? Because I've heard some awful side-effects from people and I believed it was only used in morbidly obese patients.
    Yeah the doctors will only prescribe them to people who are very overweight but they can be bought over the counter, they're just very expensive. A good friend gave them to me and she got them from her doctor.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    Hi Maisie - I know what you mean about an all-or-nothing approach to exercise! Would it be an idea to plan to do an event in about six months time - say a 5 or 10k run, or the Bristol Bike Marathon - and tell everyone that that's what you're working towards. That gives you lots of time to build up gradually, plus other people will keep saying "how's the training going?" which will help to keep you in the saddle, as it were.
    That sounds really daunting to me, I'll think about it though

I didn't know that Slimming World was vegan friendly. I looked on their website a while ago and it didn't seem to be. I'll have to see if theres one near me. Thanks for that

I've been trying to get into better shape over this summer. I kinda slacked off before (good Polish food + insane work hours). I had a punching bag in Cali and did an hour workout in the morning. Since moving to Utah, I started a kenpo karate class on Wednesdays, and jiu jitsu Tuesdays and Thursdays
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

Xenical is Alli over the counter now, right?
    I remember taking it about 6 years ago, erg. It made me poop out any fat that I ate. Seriously. *shudders*
    The approach I'm taking now is to just eat healthily. Loads of vegetables and beans, whole grains, all that junk. I'll worry about exercising again once Daisy's 6 months. The gym I like has free childcare for kids 6 months and up. I do plan to take walks with her a few times a week once the weather cools off around here though.

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I've been eating a lot healthier the last few week and just started going back to the gym. I think this has helped a lot with my depression. I feel happier than I have for a long time. I really want to keep this up as I don't want to go back to my depressed state again. The problem is I'm constantly having phases where I go to the gym then when I stop its really hard to motivate myself again. Anyone have any tips how I can stay motivated?

Also I desperately need to lose weight as I went up a dress size in the past year and I can't seem to shift the extra weight even when I do exercise. I've been given some Xenical. I'm a bit dubious about the side effects though, sounds really gross but anyway, worth it if it shifts some of my fat. Has anyone tried those pink patches? Sugar cravings are my downfall.
    I totally agree on the mood ting. I often felt better after exercise, and my mood has been pretty bleh lately. I understand about the motivation thing. The simplest way is to just go and do it, but that's not always easy. I'd suggest the best way is to get a partner to exercise with you, or at least tell other people who you know are going to nag you about it (it does help to have someone else prod you). Though, I wouldn't say you desperately need to lose weight; you look great.

Oh, as to the pill thing, I'm not an expert, but I agree that pills probably aren't the best way to lose weight. I was warned against them and other quick fix solutions. When I was in high school I wrestled, and a lot of us were concerned about weight (especially with the weigh classes and lots of guys tried to shave off as many pounds as possible).

The sugar cravings are hard. My mom's mom would always fed me cookies, cakes, brownies, etc. when I was a kid when we visited (typical Czech, I know. You're not happy unless you're eating =p). I got a big sweet tooth that took a long time to lose.

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    Though, I wouldn't say you desperately need to lose weight; you look great.
    Thanks Shrapnel, I'm just good at hiding it though

I have 3 overweight friends who live nearby so I'm planning to ask them if they want to do regular bike rides to the park. I sometimes go on my own but I'd go more if there was someone with me. As for the gym well I prefer to go there alone. It harder to get on with the exercise when you have to keep talking to someone and I like to wander round doing my own thing on the equipment. One of my friends has suggested a regular session doing her exercise dvd so I'm going to do that

sugarmouse

Exercise does sooo help with mood lifting, Maisiepaisie!It always kept me going when I was ill.
    I feel ok about posting here now for a certain reason!
    Yesterday, I ran for half hour or so...did little bits of walking in btween as I always do when the fatigue sets in but I think that improves my fitness, I keep going just have minute or two of walking in between jogging.
    I ate quite healthy I think...I had salad, mashed potato (made a low fat way!)..roasted veg, home made tomato soup..crust of wholemeal bread..
    Today I did 15 min run round the park near where I live, so far eaten soup and roast zucchini..
    I am trying to cut down on processed food.

Played an hour of football last night as ever. Played less like a donkey than usual so things are looking up.
    In 2 weeks I shall be playing 4 games a week which is about right for someone with a largely sedentary occupation.
    The spectre of playing golf is also looming as my body gets older and broken more frequently..
    I too am cutting down on processed foods sugarmouse, it helps all ways round if you have the time.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    Exercise does sooo help with mood lifting, Maisiepaisie!It always kept me going when I was ill.
    I feel ok about posting here now for a certain reason!
    Yesterday, I ran for half hour or so...did little bits of walking in btween as I always do when the fatigue sets in but I think that improves my fitness, I keep going just have minute or two of walking in between jogging.
    I ate quite healthy I think...I had salad, mashed potato (made a low fat way!)..roasted veg, home made tomato soup..crust of wholemeal bread..
    Today I did 15 min run round the park near where I live, so far eaten soup and roast zucchini..
    I am trying to cut down on processed food.
    Congrats on the running. And cutting down on the processed foods is a big help.

I went on a hike today up in the mountains (they had an Oktoberfest celebration), not a big thing, but some exercise. I've also been getting into my kenpo classes, and started jiujitsu, both giving me about two hours each a week. I'm combining that with running.

sugarmouse

Sounds good Shrapnel!
    Thanks too, I never thought I would be able to run more than 100 yards not so long ago (Well apart from on a treadmill lol)
    I have just been for a run now, down a few public footpaths by the railway lines round here, through an estate and over some fields. Took about half hour.
    Keep making my own low fat soup with tomato juice and stuff, I heard its good for your skin too
    Mine needs all the help it can get.lol

I'm trying to lose weight I put on during vacation. It's been going pretty well I think.
    Yesterday I went backpacking and got a really good work out. I know you need to eat a lot calories because you burn so much doing that but I think I eat wayy too much. Besides all I eat on the trail we had a huge chinese dinner after and when I came home I pigged out. Now I feel like it was all for nothing. Oh well, time to start again.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Dia, didnt you say you run 6 miles everyday? That's awesome! Dont worry too much about calories, you're in great shape!

Lately I've been doing well. My time is really limited for exercize, but I'm losing weight slowly and healthily. I've been focusing on eating all of my veggies to get my iron and b-vit levels back up. I think that will help a lot with energy levels. I've got some doctor appointments next week for a check-up so all should be back to normal soon. Lets hope I'll be cleared to do some formal exercize.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

i actually went to the gym to claim a free months membership today and if i join up after that i don't have to pay the £17.50 joining fee - just £12.95 a month - and i found out that INCLUDES any classes eg yoga, boxercise etc AND there's a sauna/steam room and you can get a free 10min wind down massage too!

i've got an induction on friday and hope to start proper next monday.
    i'm nervous though - i have no stamina and don't want to look ridiculous.
    the place was heaving with oldies today getting going - good on them - they will be an inspiration to me, if they can do it so can i

just need to get some budget trackie pants, t shirt, trainers and non-bounce bra

We moved a guy this morning from a third floor to a second floor, he just had loads and loads of boxes, only a few bits of furniture. Only took us 3 hours as we rushed through it so i don't think i'll bother with much more exercise today!
    No as bad as Saturdays job though, lol, up to a second floor and the guy had just packed the boxes with books etc without trying to lift them!!!
    We comes along and i'm sure a couple of them must have weighed at least 50kg each which wasnae too pleasant going up 2 flights of stairs in the heat!!!
    My cardio was gettin pushed for a few hours there!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I'm trying to lose weight I put on during vacation. It's been going pretty well I think.
    Yesterday I went backpacking and got a really good work out. I know you need to eat a lot calories because you burn so much doing that but I think I eat wayy too much. Besides all I eat on the trail we had a huge chinese dinner after and when I came home I pigged out. Now I feel like it was all for nothing. Oh well, time to start again.
    That's great! I've not done proper backpacking in a long time. I know what you mean about eating more. When I started seriously exercising more again, I found I was more hungry and needed to eat more. Though I wouldn't say you eat too much, since you look in awesome shape!

I'm still trying to lose weight! Right now I'm 161lbs and when I first started losing weight in April, I was 190lbs. It's really weird because I don't feel much thinner even though 30lbs is a lot of weight to lose. No one in real life has commented on my weight loss either. Although I've lost pounds, I haven't lost a lot of inches or have gotten any smaller. I'm only down one pants size (was 11/12, now 9) and my breasts have stayed the same, so I'm still an XL in shirts.

WildWitch

Quote firstandthen View Post

I tried it once, nothing happened, my gp and dietician said i didnt eat enough fat for it to take affect, so why am i so fucking grosly fat then i asked, your made that way they said.

great

Eating fat doesn't make you fat. I've actually increased my fat intake since losing weight.

Quote WildWitch View Post
    I tried it once, nothing happened, my gp and dietician said i didnt eat enough fat for it to take affect, so why am i so fucking grosly fat then i asked, your made that way they said.

great

Some people are fat due to medical reasons.

If you have been fat all of your life, then maybe your genes work that way. However, there are probably methods of changing this anyway, probably through drugs.

I was 12 stone going on 11 stone, but a medical issue left me with 14 stone to chuck about. I'm fine now - but still have to get rid of the excess - well 3 stone really. Its not easy as I can't just join the gym at the mo.

Part of the reason I went from 14 stone to nearly 15 stone was that my body craved sugar - mostly from carbs (rather than chocolate, cakes etc). I was a carboholic!

So possibly, check things out with a decent nutrtionist and see what they think? There may be an answer there.
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Quote Shrapnel View Post
    That's great! I've not done proper backpacking in a long time. I know what you mean about eating more. When I started seriously exercising more again, I found I was more hungry and needed to eat more. Though I wouldn't say you eat too much, since you look in awesome shape!
    Thanks! How is the hiking in Utah? I've done some in Wyoming (Grand Tetons) but that was like 11 years ago. I'm looking for a new place to live now and am 95% sure I'm going west.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I'm still trying to lose weight! Right now I'm 161lbs and when I first started losing weight in April, I was 190lbs. It's really weird because I don't feel much thinner even though 30lbs is a lot of weight to lose. No one in real life has commented on my weight loss either. Although I've lost pounds, I haven't lost a lot of inches or have gotten any smaller. I'm only down one pants size (was 11/12, now 9) and my breasts have stayed the same, so I'm still an XL in shirts.

Tigerlily. A lot of times people are uncomfortable commenting about it or don't realize if they see you often because the change is gradual. I know that it's discouraging but keep at it. People will notice and then you'll be overloaded with compliments!
    You're lucky though! When I lost weight the boobs were the first to go. Going down one size is a big deal!

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Thanks! How is the hiking in Utah? I've done some in Wyoming (Grand Tetons) but that was like 11 years ago. I'm looking for a new place to live now and am 95% sure I'm going west.
    Actually, it's pretty great. Where I live (Utah County, near Salt Lake City) is pretty close to the Wasatch Range. It's rather high elevation, but not too bad (I had to get used to it, but that was when I was just from Cali). The trails are quite beautiful. Snowbird, the place where I went for Oktoberfest the other day, is a ski resort in the winter, and used for hiking during the warmer months. It gets cold in winter, and I typically don't go hiking much at the coldest months, but in summer, and fall, it's really nice (and not crowded... I've seen some pretty touristy places that were almost ruined by the people, but here, the mountains tend to be clean and free of too many people). Rock canyon is another place I go often enough, and a bit smaller, but has more challenging terrain.

And that's cool. Hehe, do you have a place picked out where to move (you can always come to Utah =D)?

Going between OR, WA, CA and CO. Utah hasn't made the list yet, but doesn't sound too bad now.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    Going between OR, WA, CA and CO. Utah hasn't made the list yet, but doesn't sound too bad now.
    I would totally recommend it

If you don't mind me asking, why're you looking to move? You looking for a change of scenery?

It's part of my program that we do a placement at a site for a year anywhere we want and I want to be far, far away from CT! I'm looking to make the change permanent too just because there is nothing for me here.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    It's part of my program that we do a placement at a site for a year anywhere we want and I want to be far, far away from CT! I'm looking to make the change permanent too just because there is nothing for me here.
    Ah cool. If you're looking for a place that's different, I would definitely say Utah fits (not just different from CT, but from pretty much every other state). I lived in utah about 4 years already, and SoCal for considerably longer. I'll be in Utah for a few more years, while studying, and possibly CA after that, but not settled on a place.

i went to the gym induction today and it all seems good stuff.

i remembered most of the machines from previous attempts at fitness and there were only 3 other people in there.

after being shown the stuff i did 15 mins fast low incline walking, 5 mins of cycling and some weights. doesn't sound much to make a difference i know but i'm just glad i went and made a start - i plan to go again on monday and instead of the cycling try the cross trainer for 5 mins with the walking and more weights. make it a half an hour in all for a week or two.

£12.95 sounds like quite a bargin to me! Is that off peak? Either way it's a lot less than I pay, which is a lot less than I'm meant to!

Best of luck with it
    "Mr Flibble - forum corruptor of innocents!!" - Hemlock

thanks, the flibster!!

it may just be a one off gym someone has set up (active4less) but it is defo £12.95, including classes. it's the same price for whenever you go.

no frills, no towels supplied but showers, changing rooms, two large rooms for yoga, boxercise etc. and as i said if i introduce someone else my membership goes down to £9.95 a month. maybe it's not so popular because others in the town either don't know about it or want to be seen going into a swanky place?

cobweb

wow, cedar, that's a good deal!
    i paid around that for my membership (of my local gym) but that was cos it was half-price as i'm currently getting housing benefit.
    i have to pay extra for classes and steam room, though.

anyway, glad you enjoyed it. I've gone down to two trips to the gym every week after injuring my foot (my own fault!) and am swimming twice a week and doing yoga at home.

I joined an alternative gym just today. I went to a jiujitsu seminar at Throwdown, and they had a special rate going (it's $50 a month, which is high, but not too bad) so I singed up. They specialize in martial arts training and I can attend any classes, including MMA, jiujitsu and Muay Thai. It's close enough to my school that I can go before or after classes. I had a great time there today, and hope I can get a lot of use from this.

I'm going to be starting a 2 week detox diet. It's pills (herbal ingredients, the website said suitable for veg*ns) but I'm also going to try to eat only whole foods. I have a lot of gas and bloating and I have problems with digesting food (I won't tell you how I know ). Hopefully this will "clear me out". I did some googling and it isn't suppose to cause severe laxative-like reactions but you will poo more often. If it gives me problems, I'll cut down my dosage and if it's still troublesome, I'll just stop. In an advertisement for it, the woman said she lost 11lbs. I'm such a whore for advertisements.

I’ve had two months off from everything.

I got sick of appointments for this, appointments for that. Do this exercise, do that one. It wasn’t just about fitness; it was about everything I am involved with.

It was great to do anything I wanted. Eat anything I wanted. Time to catch up on loads of outstanding jobs I wanted to do.

Has anyone done the same thing before?

I will start to get back to some ‘normality’ next week.

I guess waking up with my two hands paralysed the other morning told me it was time to start ‘back’. Well, that and the fact my weight was 14 stone 12lbs

cobweb

ha-ha, yes i did that for 10 years, Frank!

why were your hands paralysed though?

^ Spinal issue.

The facet joint(s) impinging on nerves.