Thread: I've been to Vegan Mecca now :)

Default I've been to Vegan Mecca now :)

I was in New York City last weekend and I just want to shamelessly plug the two fabulous vegan restaurants we visited!
    First up was Blossom. It was a mind-blowing experience, and even my sister who is an omni couldn't find fault with the food. She adored the cheesecake, and I couldn't stop explaining to our server how good the food was. (I must have been really excessive about my love for the place because he gave us free desserts!)
    Second on our list was Sunday brunch at Candle 79. I had a Seitan Breakfast Burrito and it was sooooo yummy.
    Both places were semi-affordable and relaxed atmospheres so I definitely encourage a visit.
    Also I want to point out that Whole Foods (at Columbus Circle) had an entire bar of vegan salads and entrees! It was heaven. We ate at Whole Foods like 5 times in 4 days
    Now I'm back in Norway where nothing, really nothing, is vegan...but it's okay because I know there's people out there like me, eating better food!
    Hooray for NYC!

Default Re: I've been to Vegan Mecca now :)

Sounds delish. I always thought Portland was the vegan mecca in America, though!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

You're probably right, it sounds really amazing there too! I'll have to make another trip!

I was thinking Portland or San Francisco too, but NYC is definitely a contender. Sounds like you had a great time! I've heard rave reviews of both of those restaurants.
    veganhomemade.wordpress.com

Quote Dana View Post
    I was in New York City last weekend and I just want to shamelessly plug the two fabulous vegan restaurants we visited!
    First up was Blossom. It was a mind-blowing experience, and even my sister who is an omni couldn't find fault with the food. She adored the cheesecake, and I couldn't stop explaining to our server how good the food was. (I must have been really excessive about my love for the place because he gave us free desserts!)
    Second on our list was Sunday brunch at Candle 79. I had a Seitan Breakfast Burrito and it was sooooo yummy.
    Both places were semi-affordable and relaxed atmospheres so I definitely encourage a visit.
    Also I want to point out that Whole Foods (at Columbus Circle) had an entire bar of vegan salads and entrees! It was heaven. We ate at Whole Foods like 5 times in 4 days
    Now I'm back in Norway where nothing, really nothing, is vegan...but it's okay because I know there's people out there like me, eating better food!
    Hooray for NYC!
    I ate at 2 of those places - candle79 and whole foods columbus. Both were great. I wanna live in NYC

Quote Dana View Post
    If you can ever get yourself over the border to Stockholm then I definitely recommend it.

http://www.veganstockholm.se/

As far as America goes, I found San Francisco to be a little disappointing from a vegan perspective given my expectations. I would certainly say New York had more to offer, though given the difference in size between the two cities that is hardly surprising.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

Despite instructions about how to find the vegan s'mores, marshmallows and brownies in Wholefoods (or failing that some Peanut Chews) my partner came back empty handed from his trip to NY and NJ.

And when I was saying how much I want to go soon he said "but we were only just there at xmas & new year." *fumes*
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Those peanut chews DO NOT exist! We looked bloody EVERYWHERE!

Oh, I could bring some from my stash tomorrow!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

You would receive a spot in nirvana in return for that (i.e. you will be guaranteed the best cookie).

Where did you buy them from? We seriously looked everywhere.

All over the place (mainly little grocery stores) including the airport.

Nope, they were nowhere! I even checked all the airport shops as a last-ditch hope!

If they can't be easily found on my next trip I'm not sure I can afford to share what I have!

Quote Dana View Post
    Now I'm back in Norway where nothing, really nothing, is vegan..
    Have you seen our Vegan Norway thread?

Hi Korn!
    I replied on the Vegan Norway thread

I will admit that I'm quite the whiner these days when it comes to Norway!

Your trip sounds fantastic, the more I read about vegans o/seas, the more I want to travel to try all these great food products/restaurants

Quote maikeru View Post
    As far as America goes, I found San Francisco to be a little disappointing from a vegan perspective given my expectations. I would certainly say New York had more to offer, though given the difference in size between the two cities that is hardly surprising.

Michael.
    I hold exactly the same opinion. I was in Sfrancisco three years ago, and I find New york far better for vegans. Well, Maybe it was my fault, or I didn´t have a vegan San Francisco vegan guide to get to the right places...Anyway, I am absolutely in love with New York and London, so far my most beloved vegan Meccas!

I am going to NYC is September. Have never been to the US before. Do I have to book for those restaurants?

I'd advise booking for Candle79 - we did and got a very good table. They have an online booking form thing. Marrers would also advise you to book ahead at Blossom, but I've never been there.

What bryzee said!

Also see the New York thread - http://veganforum.com/forums/showthr...?t=2881&page=5

We called the day before, for both of the restaurants. If you have a chance there is a place called Pure Food and Wine. The server at Blossom said it was amazing, but we didn't get a chance to drop by. Check it out if you can and then report back to us

I've been to Pure Food and Wine. Impressive but depends how you feel about raw food - it's 100% raw. You probably need to book there too, esp at weekends.

With Blossom and Candle 79 you could take a chance that there will be space - we did it a few times and got a table on the night but obviously that is much more likely earlier in the week. If you really want to go to a particular place (esp on a specific night) I would book a week or so in advance. If you are flexible ring them when you get there (local calls are free) and see when they have space.
    Last edited by Marrers; Apr 21st, 2008 at 06:01 PM. Reason: to add

The cool thing about Candle 79 is that if you have to wait for a table there's a little bar to sit at. I usually don't bother going all the way up there, however, unless I'm already in the neighborhood for a reason.