Thread: Possibly visiting Maine, any vegan places?

Default Possibly visiting Maine, any vegan places?

Hello. I'm possibly visiting Maine this summer to go to Machias Seal Island to see Puffins, Razorbills and other great birds/mammals. I will likely be staying at the Machias Motor Inn or near there. Does anyone from Maine know if there are any vegan-friendly restaurants or supermarkets nearby? I feel like I'll be starving in a largely fishing community! Any help would be appreciated. Thank you! BC

Default Re: Possibly visiting Maine, any vegan places?

I've been living in Maine for 7 years and sad to say it is virtually a vegan wasteland. However, there are some recent bright spots. I confess I'm not familiar w/ Machias but the things I mention you may be passing by.

Just today I went to a newly opened vegetarian restaurant in Portland. It would be vegan except for 2 menu items that have an egg
    check them out at www.greenelephantmaine.com Also on the same street is Little Lad's Bakery which has a full buffet plus stuff you can order off menu. It is completely vegan. Both of those places are on Congress St. There is also a Whole Foods in Portland that usually has several vegan selections at the hot/cold food bars. Pepperclub in Portland isn't veg but they do know what a vegan is and have several menu items (including desserts) that are vegan. Granny's Burritos, again in Portland always has 2 daily special burritos that are vegan. Other than Portland all I can recommend are Hannaford Supermarkets (some are better than others) and their Nature's Place natural food sections, which in some stores are pretty impressive. Oh, I heard that there is a vegan/vegetarian? restaurant in Bar Harbor. I've never been there though www.barharborvegetarian.com

Sorry I can't be more help. Maybe you'll find some veg gems when you're in Maine. If so, let me know! Best tip I can offer is...if you go to the Green Elephant, get the spring rolls. I had 3 today and they are amazing!!!