Thread: Can Someone Please Help Us Find Utopia?

Default Can Someone Please Help Us Find Utopia?

But seriously, no, we're not looking for Utopia, though it's not a bad idea. We're actually seeking sanity, peace of mind, and clean air and genuine real kindness. My husband and I are originally from southern California and came to Florida because we were visiting family and we took a wrong turn, which has cost us severely in many ways! It's a long story and if anyone is receptive and wants me to share it, please contact me via e-mail and let me know. For now, we need some help. My husband and I are aliens in the deep South. We're non-smoking advocates, enjoy and cherish clean air, peace and quiet and we're organic vegetarians. This is everything that the South is not, especially Florida. We've resided here for 6 years and it feels like 100 long years! We urgently need a fresh, clean change of scenery. We need to be with like-minded people who appreciate our nature and our values and beliefs. The following is a short list of the most important criteria for deciding where we wish to relocate to in the USA. The reasons I'm asking for help is because every time I tell my husband that we need to move North of the Mason-Dixon Line to where there is more sanity and peace and quiet, he says, "Ok, where is this place? Where do we go"? Unfortunately, I don't have an answer for him...yet, but I'm hoping and praying that with a little help from my friends on care2, it might be easier to get a better sense of direction. Here is our list:

Criteria For Relocation
    Strong Non-Smoking Laws
    Peace and Quiet, Strong Noise Ordinances
    Strong Vegetarian Support Groups, Significant number of strict vegetarians
    A Minimum of 5 or 6 strict vegetarian restaurants with zero meat on the menu
    Green Organic-Minded, where people genuinely care about Breathing Clean Fresh Air
    A region where everyday is Earth Day and it genuinely matters is Celebrated
    North of the Mason-Dixon Line, far away from the deep South
    Genuine 4 seasons, Autumn, Winter Solstice, somewhat steady weather with snow - 30 - 40 low - 60 - 71 high, but not near the "Ice Age Freeze Zone"
    A state with ZERO nuclear reactors
    Minimal extreme weather, Florida is the lightning capital of the world with horrible hurricanes, California has horrific earthquakes, and the Midwest has horrific tornadoes, while we're not looking to escape it, we need weather that will allow our severely damaged frayed PTSD nerves an opportunity to repair.

Thank You for listening and Thank You for your help. Please feel free to contact me via e-mail. I Hope and Pray and look forward to receiving some help soon.
    From My Healthy Kitchen To Yours
    www.tastyvegankitchen.com

Default Re: Can Someone Please Help Us Find Utopia?

I don't know if Oregon would fit your criteria - but Portland sounds as though it's really vegan friendly.

Would you ever consider moving back to California?

Wow, thats a lot of criteria!! I'm pretty sure you won't get all of those, sorry...

But how about Boston?

Not sure about the criteria, but the following are there:

Strong Vegetarian Support Groups, Significant number of strict vegetarians
    A Minimum of 5 or 6 strict vegetarian restaurants with zero meat on the menu
    Green Organic-Minded, where people genuinely care about Breathing Clean Fresh Air - not sure its clean air... but at least they're trying?!
    North of the Mason-Dixon Line, far away from the deep South - obvi
    Genuine 4 seasons, Autumn, Winter Solstice, somewhat steady weather with snow
    Minimal extreme weather - uhhh itll definitely snow a lot

check out this site

Good luck!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

You might want to ease up on the requirements there. I can't think of any single state or city that fits all of those recommendations...

You should check out Asheville NC. Its not that far from you either.
    I'm not sure about the noise laws, or smoking laws. But the environment is a huge influence on the people out there and the recreation as well. It is also the most vegan friendly small city in the states.

And surprisingly enough CT also fills most of your requirements.

I would suggest northern New Mexico....Santa Fe, Taos, etc. Good luck!