View Poll Results: What's a good place to eat vegan food in Brighton?

Voters
28. You may not vote on this poll
  • RedVeg

11 39.29%
  • The George (pub)

8 28.57%
  • Food for Friends

7 25.00%
  • Waikikamookau

6 21.43%
  • Infinity Foods Cafe

13 46.43%
  • Terre a Terre

10 35.71%
  • Bombay Aloo (on Ship Street)

10 35.71%
  • The Cowley Club

6 21.43%
  • Iydea

4 14.29%
  • Seasons (Lewes)

2 7.14%
  • The Snowdrop Inn (pub) (Lewes)

1 3.57%
  • Planet Janet (is it still open?)

0 0%
  • The Hop Poles (pub)

1 3.57%
  • Wagamama

2 7.14%
  • The Sanctuary Cafe in Hove (added April 09)

2 7.14%
  • Aloka (added April-10)

6 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll.

Thread: Good places to eat vegan in Brighton

Default Good places to eat vegan in Brighton

I'll make a poll soon about good places to eat vegan food in Brighton.
    Which places should be on the list?
    Last edited by Korn; May 16th, 2008 at 08:08 AM. Reason: The poll is open now!

Default Re: Poll coming up: good places to eat vegan in Brighton...

Russ will come on and say RedVeg. There's also The George.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

I always seem to fetch up in Food for Friends when I go to Brighton to meet my friend for lunch, so I'll be interested to see what's top of the pops these days.

BlackCats

Quote RedWellies View Post
    Russ will come on and say RedVeg. There's also The George.
    They are the two places I have tried in Brighton, I really liked both of them.

(Also I tried a curry place with other VF people but I didn't like it that much, can't remember the name of it. So I wouldn't put that on the list anyway.)

Waikikamoocow is ok for cafe food and cakes although the burgers are a bit cardboardy. Infinity food cafe no way - total rip off.
    Silent but deadly :p

Probably include Terre a Terre, not that I've eaten there myself.

Quote Aphrodite View Post
    (Also I tried a curry place with other VF people but I didn't like it that much, can't remember the name of it. So I wouldn't put that on the list anyway.)
    That'd be Bombay Aloo, I think it's ok, it varies on how good it is but it's pretty cheap anyway, I'd include it.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

My house?
    Oh and The Cowley Club.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Quote horselesspaul View Post
    My house?
    We need proof!

I would like to add Iydea on Kensington Gardens. It's small but now means I never need risk The George for comfort food again.

So far we have:-
    Red Veg
    The George pub
    Food For Friends
    Bombay Aloo (Ship Street branch only)
    Waikikamookau
    Terre A Terre
    Cowley Club
    Iydea

There is also:-
    The Beanstalk
    Infinity Cafe

A bit further out there is:
    Seasons (Lewes)
    The Snowdrop Pub (Lewes)
    Planet Janet (is it still open? in Hove)

The above places are all veggie / vegan but what do people think about including places which serve meat but cater well for vegans? Like The Hop Poles pub?
    There are also the chains like Wagamama & Pizza Express - should they be included in the list?
    Last edited by Marrers; Apr 24th, 2008 at 11:33 AM. Reason: To remove the Sanctuary (Hove) - not fully veggie. Does it cater for vegans?
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Infinity food cafe no way - total rip off.
    That is one of my favourite places for lunch actually. Delicious food and fabulous cakes.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I haven't had lunch in the Infinity caff I don't think, but it's a nice place for restorative tea and cake after a shoe-shopping expedition; I didn't notice it being particularly expensive for that (or maybe it just seems cheap after the shoes!)

I must say that the Pizza from Infinity's shop is awesome. I think I might pop down to Brighton on my next day off and stock up

Quote Marrers View Post
    That is one of my favourite places for lunch actually. Delicious food and fabulous cakes.
    Infinity has a great choice of delicious vegan cakes and I've always found the staff to be very helpful and friendly and I think the place has a nice, laid back atmosphere. There's an interesting array of reading material available too from some daily papers to books on politics and animal/environmental issues.

Quote Marrers View Post
    I'm sure it is but no good for my budget.

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Infinity food cafe no way - total rip off.
    But you seemed to be suggesting we didn't include it because it is costly. In that case we'd have to cross off quite a few places on the grounds of expense.

I think the most expensive thing at Infinity Cafe is what I normally have - the chef special main course. It is about £7. (I don't think a main course Waikika is much less is it?)

And a slice of vegan cake is £2.50-£2.80 pretty much everywhere else in Brighton too.

Not really, I just thought that the last time I was in Brighton for breakfast it offered the least value for money for the tiniest amount of food - by all means it should be included if you guys like it but I wouldn't personally go there because I get really annoyed at places offering a small amount of food for an astronomical cost 'just because it's Brighton' which so many places do.
    As I said on another thread if I'm off out for a nice meal somewhere I'll save up so I can afford it but if I'm going out for the day shopping I don't much like the Brighton price hike up.
    mind you York was worse, me and Corum went to a vegan place for breakfast and a small plate of waffles and fake bacon was £15 We just left because we couldn't justify it!

I think everywhere veggie should be included in the poll. People can then vote as they wish but anyone looking at the thread will see a quick and easy list of options in Brighton.

I agree Marrers. Don't think it should include places that are mostly meat/veggie though, or where you have to ask specially to get a vegan option, like pizza express, wetherspoons etc.

Quote Hemlock View Post
    Waikikamoocow is ok for cafe food and cakes although the burgers are a bit cardboardy. Infinity food cafe no way - total rip off.
    I've eaten at Waikikamoocow and thought the food was delicious. I had a sort of salad platter type thing with a mixture of things including various types of antipasto, and though the mixture of flavours (e.g. the use of fresh tarragon) was very well done.

Given what you write, it looks like I was lucky with my choice from the menu. But I'd rate what I ate at several levels above OK.

I've included all the places that cater for vegans in the preliminary poll, but I agree that we should remove these before the poll opens if they don't have vegan stuff on the menu - because almost every place out there can make something vegan if you ask for it.

Are there more places that should be added before the poll opens?

The names needs slight adjustment.
    Iydea (not Iydea on Kensington Gardens)
    Waikikamookau is the correct spelling
    The Snowdrop Inn (not pub - sorry, my fault)

Is it worth putting 'pub' in brackets after the places which are pubs? Might make a difference to some people. (The George, The Snowdrop Inn and The Hop Poles are pubs.)

Also there are two branches of Bombay Aloo in Brighton. The Kemptown branch serves meat but the central branch - on Ship Street - is fully veggie. Do we need to specify which branch in brackets?

Thanks!
    The Kemptown branch serves meat
    Does it have vegan stuff on the menu too?

No idea about how vegan friendly it is but I'm sure they have veggie options. I've never eaten at either branch.

BTW An 's' needs to be added on to Infinity Food to make it Infinity Foods, I was trying to edit my post when the forum went down.

The poll is open now.

Pizza Express is included? They don't have vegan stuff on the menu I don't think.

BlackCats

Quote Risker View Post
    Pizza Express is included? They don't have vegan stuff on the menu I don't think.
    You can have the pizza without the cheese at Pizza Express which is vegan. I e-mailed them a while back.

Quote Korn View Post
    I've included all the places that cater for vegans in the preliminary poll, but I agree that we should remove these before the poll opens if they don't have vegan stuff on the menu - because almost every place out there can make something vegan if you ask for it.
    Quote Risker View Post
    Quote Aphrodite View Post
    You can have the pizza without the cheese at Pizza Express which is vegan. I e-mailed them a while back.
    Aphrodite, I'll remove Pizza Express from the poll (for the reason in the quote above)!

Is Planet Janet still open.... anyone?

^ Haven't been there for a year now - but website looks like it's been renamed Revitalise. http://www.revitalise-u.co.uk/cafe.html

Default Re: Good places to eat vegan in Brighton...

You've missed out The Sanctuary Cafe in Hove, that's the best one I think.

The Sanctuary wasn't included in the original list because until recently it wasn't completely veggie, and only completely veggie places were included in the beginning. obviously this changed once Wagamama etc. were added.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Zero

I really like Waikikamookau, The George, Redveg, Sanctuary, in fact I haven't had a bad experience at any of the veggie places I've eaten at in Brighton. Bombay Aloo is good too, especially the price!

Beanstalk needs to come off the list because they've closed down.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Was going to ask what Waikikamookau's like these days as I was thinking of taking someone to lunch there and haven't been for ages, but I see it has a recent thumbs-up from Zero. Nothing's happened to it in the last month that I should know about, has it?

Zero

I went there the day after the Brighton Vegan Fayre for breakfast and it was excellent

Thank you Zero I was reading on HappyCow that some people thought there wasn't much for vegans, but the most recent report seemed to contradict that. Anyway I shan't want much, just something!

pathologist

Just my experience - I've only been once and asked if the bread was vegan and no one knew! (I was probably unlucky - they might have had temporary staff in or something). I suppose it was quite likely that it was - but anyway I found this a bit unimpressive!

Default Re: Good places to eat vegan in Brighton

Hmm, they did seem rather kind of laid-back the time I went before. Will report back afterwards.

Just back from a quick flit to Brighton (on a weekday! ) and lunch in Waikikamookau. We really enjoyed our meal - the place seems to have pulled its socks up a lot since the previous visit (admittedly several years ago). There were several vegan or can-be-made-vegan options marked in the menu.

I had a very fine and generously proportioned salad involving vegan sausages ( again) followed by a lime and coconut cake which was light and tasty and not dry the way they sometimes are. My omnivorous friend had a sweet potato curry thing and then chocolate-and-something cake - also both vegan I think. Two mains, two cakes, two coffees and one large fresh juice came to about £27+service which I thought was very reasonable.

ETA I didn't have to have the bread conversation - bread came as part of my salad and that was marked vegan, so I just checked with the waitperson that the whole thing was vegan and then took their word for it on the bread (rightly or wrongly).

I ate with my partner and little girl at bombay aloo on Monday night, was really good if cramped! Can't fault the food, about 20 things of which a good 15 or so were vegan. Plenty of fillers and maybe a little niggle at overuse of spuds but all the food was hot and fresh.Really super cheap too at £4.90 all you can eat.

Mousee!!

perhaps add Aloka to this list.
    friend of mine went to Sanctuary the other day aked if the mezze platter was egan. person said yes. friend had it to take away.-opened it up and TADAAA!-feta staring back at her.

Zero

The George is not so good anymore, although they can make some of the things on the menu vegan there isn't as much choice and I heard that one of the new owners told someone they were trying to move away from "the vegan thing" whatever that is supposed to mean.

I spoke to the chef at The George today and that doesn't seem to be the case. Please see my post in the Vegan Brighton thread for details.