Thread: Raw: Where do I start?

puca

Default Raw: Where do I start?

I would like to try going raw, or at least putting a lot more raw food in my diet.

I am a runner and am trying to lose weight.

Any pointers for a newcomer?

Default Re: Where do I start?

hmmm, 30 views and no replies , maybe the title is too vague, can you edit it puca to help us with the subject matter more or pm a moderator to do it?

i'll keep you in mind as i look through my raw reference material.

I saw it and thought oh... that's hard.

I would say get some books or start reading online about raw. Google Raw Diet etc and there will be heaps of info.

Personally I would start w/ breakfast. Have a lot of fruit or make a green smoothie or a juice and then some fruit.
    Have a salad for lunch, make it big so you don't feel hungry soon after and snack on non-raw stuff. Lettuce, tomatoes, cucumber, grated carrot, avocado, some sort of dressing if you like. If you don't want a raw dressing, use something you normally would.

Snack on fruit and veggies, nuts or dip w/ crackers if you want something non-raw.

Dinner you could eat cooked if you felt like it or have a salad, or a soup or just eat some fruit or veggies.

My only tips for going raw are what I"m doing now:

-eating fruit for breakfast, like 2-4 peices to fill up
    -eating a huge salad for an early dinner
    -lunch is the hardest part, but i'm going to start having some green juices/ smoothies and nuts at this meal to get some more protein and calories in

And don't beat yourself up if you can't eat raw completely at first, I'm still transitioning, as I get hungry or crave something cooked once in a while. May I ask, what is your main motivation for eating raw?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Yeah a fruit meal is a great way to get a lot of raw in, I usually do a fruit meal for supper since i never know when supper will be and fruit digests in 45 minutes or so, also i would go for a huge salad with avocado and maybe some good bread with oil on it for fat to keep you sustained until lunch, which, for me is a huge salad with nuts and seeds (carb/protein).

I think you should start with yourself and deciding why you want to try "Raw" as previously said - also to understand yourself and why you need to loose weight or more importantly why you gained weight in the first place

You may find that there are some emotional aspects to this

Perhaps raw is about separating emotional responses to eating and eating what is actually good for the body as opposed to what we associate with being good "chocolate" for example - so there is a mismatch ....

Eating a raw diet needs committment both to the eating side, and committment to the educational side - don't get hung up on trying to eat as you were before but raw, the change in diet requires a change in thinking, beliefs and behaviours

Hope this helps, pm me if you would like any specific info

RR

I've only recently returned to veganism [read the 'your personal vegan story' thread for more info if you wish] and now I'm reading up on being a raw foodist, and I'm intrigued! I think it would be the greatest thing to do, and I'd love to live that lifestyle, however I need to learn a LOT more before I begin.

Anyone got advice on good books for those new to the whole concept?

"Raw Food Detox Diet" by Natalia Rose is really great for transitioning to raw food. It has five stages to it and it gives you recipes for each level.

I also plan on ordering "Ani Phyos Kitchen" sometime very soon. I've heard its great for recipes.

For advice and questions, I use giveittomeraw.com and goneraw.com. They're great websites and some people have been doing this for years! It'll really teach you that raw is all about doing what works for you. There's no one diet to follow.

For vegan books, I loved the "Vegan Sourcebook" and "How It All Vegan". I have a few other books but still have to get "The China Study" and "Omnivores Dilemma".

Oh, and good luck! Welcome to the forum!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I agree w/ Raw Food Detox Diet (it's not all vegan, so ignore what is non-vegan) but the stages are good for ppl transitioning and there is lots of info in there too.

Also the Raw Transformation by Wendy Rudell, there are some lovely recipes

Don't make the mistake I made and cut corners by shoving all the raw veg in the fridge into a food processor and eating that with a few nuts on top - it gets boring very very quickly.
    Silent but deadly :p

A Cheeky Vegan

Ive been eating a majority of raw food and drink only water for 3 years now. All the processed foods I used to like such as cakes, sweets, pies, snack bars, chips etc etc are no longer a part of my diet, I have blocked them from my mind and focus more on raw foods when I come across above items. My breakfast consists always of a bowlful of yummy fruits, fruit or nuts for snacks, a salad sandwhich for lunch and dinner of protein source, vegs and carbs. I cant even remember the last time I had a dessert after dinner lol.

I went to the bookstore today and couldn't find any of the books you all mentioned. I think next time I go I will ask them to order some in for me. But for the moment I'll have to leave it as I bought myself a juicer today so fundings are lacking

Wait, I just found a book by Anne Clark called 'In The Raw' on eBay, has anyone read that or heard about it?
    EDIT: Also found 'The New Raw Energy' by Susannah and Leslie Kenton, anyone know about that one?

i don't reckon the new raw energy book.

but i'd definitely agree on the ani phyo cookbook, i refer to it a lot.

i haven't read these but have heard good things about them;

raw in ten minutes & also raw foods for busy people; simple & machine free recipes for every day.

Default Re: Raw: Where do I start?

I second not buying the New Raw Energy book... I started that one or another of there's and totally didn't like it. You might, but I'd suggest borrowing it from a library, it's not based on a vegan diet either, from memory.