Thread: Sea vegatables

puca

Default Sea vegatables

I am looking for some kelp to boost my iodine levels...

I was wondering where to buy it from and what to cook it with?

Also, what other sea vegetables are good?

Good sperm

Default Re: Sea vegatables

I buy it dried from health food shops (the descriptions on the back are quite helpful in terms of their flavour). soak it in hot water and chuck it in tofu stir fry.

I love nori. I don't know if they are high in iodine as much as other seaweeds. I love mashing up an avocado and layering it on top of a sheet a nori and added other vegetables. It's like sushi without rice.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

i'm soooo into my sea veg atm! Nori is really tasty - vegan sushi is a staple at the moment! Also kombu is really good - put a sheet in a soup to add flavour and then you can either take it out or chop it up in the soup at the end. Ive also just found a recipe for a kombu bake thats kind of like a lasagne but using kombu sheets instead of pasta which I'm going to try and make soon!
    And hijiki,I LOVE hijiki at the moment I find myself dreaming about it at work and rushing home to put it on my salad!
    Most health shops have a selection, though they're not exactly cheap but worth the money for their mineral/vitamin content and tastiness. I can't wait to try dulse and wakame (but am making myself use up what I've got first!)
    Oh I also tried kelp noodles which I ordered online from...I think it was the livingraw website, something like that. They were ok but didn't have much flavour, I would marinade them in something if I had them again. But whenever I think about them, even though I didnt think they were great at the time, I really feel like eating more of them, so they must be good for me right?

Slightly Crazy 1gentlemaorispirit's Avatar

The Japancentre.co.uk sell All kinds of seaweeds, including seasoned Nori. Nori roasted with soy sauce and other flavours, usually eaten as a snack.

Wakame is used in Miso soups and salads and my favourite seaweed. Kumbo is used as a soup base. You don't need much seaweed per day.

There are kelp tablets, but seaweed is nicer, I feel.
    I make no apologies for myself, my passions, my love, my honesty, my intensity, my soul. Reach beyond your fears and take all of me or nothing at all.

Do you have a far eastern supermarket near you, if so they are the cheapest places to buy dried seaweed. Look out for wakame and nori as well as kelp.
    You can add it to stir fries, soups and stews, also try making your own sushi. Most far eastern supermarkets will have a section devoted to all things sushi.
    Yo! sushi chain has a veggie range which can be veganized, they do take aways as well.
    There are some packet soups which have little bits of seaweed in...
    look for Clearspring brand.
    In the far eastern supermarket you will also find packets of ready salted spiced crunchy seaweed strips, which are yummy as snacks. If you are ever visiting Newcastle, Tsang Foods on Percy Street has a good range, there are also a couple of Chinese supermarkets on Stowell Street.
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

pavotrouge

Quote 1gentlemaorispirit View Post
    The Japancentre.co.uk sell All kinds of seaweeds, including seasoned Nori.
    or visit their lovely shop at Piccadilly.

what I'm going to miss about Germany? working in the Japanese centre of Europe with a take-away hijiki salad at every other corner

Is it safe to eat the seaweed you find on the beach and in the ocean? I know that's where all packaged seaweed comes from but maybe they do something to it to "sterilize" or something? Where I live there is a lot of seaweed and we harvest them and sell them overseas.

I've always wondered if I could just pick up a big leafy sea vegetable on the beach, rinse it a tad, and start eating.

I wouldn't fancy eating seaweed off any beaches that I know Tigerlily but probably your beaches are more hygienic. This site has some safety tips http://www.wildmanwildfood.com/pages/seaweeds.html it's a bit UK-oriented but perhaps you can find a North American equivalent.

Thanks

Tigerlily, they might be using the seaweed for industrial uses rather than for food. "Alginates ... are also used in production of industrial products such as paper coatings, adhesives, dyes, gels, explosives and in processes such as paper sizing, textile printing, hydro-mulching and drilling" (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Seaweed)

Where I am originally from (Kerry, SW Ireland), seaweed is used to fertilise vegetables. I love the carrots especially, grown in very sandy soil and fertilised with seaweed. And I also loved the local dillisk - Palmaria palmata. Not sure I could handle the salt now. Chewy stuff! I prefer the Japanese style seaweeds as they are thinner and more versatile.

*live*&*let*live

Was scrolling through the word vegan on ebay and a listing for seaweed said vegan. I pulled up a larger view of the product and in small print it said 'may still contain small crustacean' Just a word of warning, I was going to ask if anyone had ever found any? I would like to start making sushi and was concerned about this.

Mahk

Default Re: Sea vegetables

^Plant life, both in the sea and on land, is the home of gazillions of insects, aphids and other small beings, most of which are microscopic. We just have to accept this; there's no way around it. The only reason the nori was labeled as "may contain crustaceans" is because some people are deadly allergic to them, but eggplant (aubergine) contain tons of critters too, they just don't have to tell you because there's no chance of death.

Kosher Jews also need to be alerted because they are forbidden to eat crustaceans.

Quote Mahk View Post
    but eggplant (aubergine) contain tons of critters too
    Going off topic a bit but can you elaborate on this?
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

*live*&*let*live

O.I.C. thanks Makh! I was expecting baby crabs and suchlike! (Smiles..safe in the knowledge that she won't be seeing such things!)
    Rushes off and scoffs seaweed

Mahk

Microcrustaceans of various kinds are found in all salt and fresh water bodies including the streams, lakes, ponds, and reservoirs that we drink from everyday. Unless your city filters their water supply (many like Boston and New York don't) we can assume we are consuming them. [Although I've read 80% are dead already when they reach our houses.]
    ---

Risker, I can't find direct evidence right now but I once read that if one buys organic, pesticide free, eggplant one can actually see with a microscope or strong magnifying lens evidence of insect life on virtually ever single one. I guess they were talking about the adult, larval, and egg stages of these. Even if one "washes them away" first you've still killed them. I don't think there's any clear answer what to do.

Some things are beyond our control. For me, the point is to do what I can and don't get sick over the rest.