Thread: manufactured vegan cottage cheese?

Default manufactured vegan cottage cheese?

does anyone know of a (US) nationally available vegan mock cottage cheese? I find myself craving it, and most recipes for homemade are too savory (usually they're from The Uncheese Cookbook and it's a bad recipe). I know there's a company that makes 'cottage tofu,' but I'm unable to find it online or locally (in Oregon). Any thoughts?

Default Re: manufactured vegan cottage cheese?

Not sure Ladyjmaryb but I think if you did find one, you'll never get that tang that real cheese, especially cottage cheese gives off.

If I were you, I'd stop thinking about it. You don't crave mock meats, do you? That would be really bad. I am working on my own food cravings (thankfully not for non-vegan things) by practicing this eating meditation each time I eat. Especially if you enjoy introspection, give it a try.

Or stick with your cravings. Up to you. That kind of thing is risky, though.
    "To become vegetarian is to step into the stream which leads to nirvana." - Buddha

I'm not sure what the uncheese cookbook version is like, but I've had alright results with crumbled soft tofu and plain soya yoghurt. I always used to add cubes of cucumber and tomato and a dash of balsamic vinegar (and various other seasonings like stock powder or mixed herbs if I had them) to cottage cheese and when I do the same thing with this it's really very similar.

(edited to add that I'm in the UK, so I don't know any commercial versions in the US but I thought I'd chime in anyway )
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

LadyMAryj: You could also try what twinkle suggested and add some lemon juice to make it more like cottage cheese?