Thread: Wasp Nest

Default Wasp Nest

Hiya all,
    Does anyone know how to deal with a wasp nest humanely?
    It's right outside my bedroom window and fly in when i open my window.
    I've been trying to ignore them as they buzz round the room and flap them back outside. I think they think it's their house
    Anyway is there a way to deal with them without harming them?
    Cheers,
    Charlotte xx

Default Re: Wasp Nest

ask these people charlotte?
    they do supply stuff to actually kill wasps..not great..but they mnight have an answer?
    i didn;t really have a looksie around the site before posting

http://www.trapawasp.co.uk/contact_us.htm

you may want to decline their offer of free chocolate though
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Not the greatest solution but if you suffer through the year with them then come winter they will leave/die off. You can then remove the nest and if you can think of a good way of doing it make it so that building a new nest there would be an unattractive proposition for them.

In the mean time you could put up some of this stuff allowing you to open the window without them all flying in. I use it to stop moths etc. coming in. You cut it to size and then it attaches to the window frame with velcro so it's easy to pull on and off.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I would just use a permanent metal screen instead.

or brick your window up entirely..then they can't get in ha ha
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

If I had a wasps nest anywhere near my house, I think I would have to move out until it was taken care of. The thought sends shivers down my spine!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

journey

What about bumblebees and carpenter bees? They're in the wood of our porch and there's so many of them it's hard to sit outside now, so my problem is a little different. Plus they're destroying the wood. So we can't just get rid of their nests in the winter because they seem to actually be inside the wood. So far they haven't come in the house. Any thoughts?

When I was a kid we had a bees nest in our garden.

A few doors away there was a guy that was a beekeeper, he was really pleased to come and take them away to have.

They never came back........I don't know if this helps at all?
    The day breaks and everything is new.

Quote Digital Ghost View Post
    When I was a kid we had a bees nest in our garden.

A few doors away there was a guy that was a beekeeper, he was really pleased to come and take them away to have.

They never came back........I don't know if this helps at all?
    No one will be pleased to come and take a wasps nest away, sadly!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

we had one last year under a tile on our roof and they were finding their way in even with windows closed!! i stepped on one in the bedroom while making the bed.

this year they seem to be attracted to the ivy growing up our house.
    my daughter is absolutely paranoid about wasps and bees and cant even watch them on tv or in a mag.

Quote cedarblue View Post
    my daughter is absolutely paranoid about wasps and bees and cant even watch them on tv or in a mag.
    Me too!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

Quote gogs67 View Post
    No one will be pleased to come and take a wasps nest away, sadly!
    A wasp-keeper might.

We had one somewhere near the bathroom window one year but we just waited and next year they'd buzzed off. The screening idea might be the least trouble, certainly from the wasps' viewpoint.

Quote cedarblue View Post

I really dont see why people are scared of em .. they wont sting ya .. I've let them land on my nose before - dont want to make fast movements then though.. .. Although I've never been stung by one so ..
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

cobweb

fungus you might feel differently if you ever do - my poor son has been stung 3 times by bees and once by a wasp which crawled into his ear!. He has suffered a pretty bad phobia since but is trying to tackle it now.

Fungus - I've only been stung once. It flew down my top and stabbed it's spinney little arse into my boob. Hurt so damn much and believe me I know pain...I have tattoos on my elbows and wrist bones! I was scared before but it was 20 times worse afterwards.

Quote harpy View Post
    A wasp-keeper might.

Yeah you just need to find a wasps fan.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

I have only been stung once, but had a bad reaction. In a good 4 inch area of my leg, all the veins turned purple, and part of my leg went numbish. I still have a teeny tiny scar at the bite.

Thanks for the replies guys
    I think i'll just put a mosquito net up over the window or something like u say. It's not bothering me too much at the min.
    Cedarblue - That's interesting about what u said about the ivy. My house has got tons of it growing up the front of my house and that's where they are. Think i'll take it down in winter
    right i'll buzz off now

They don't like smoke, so a joss stick on the window ledge might help. We had some in our shed and I needed to get the lawnmower out. 5 minutes of joss stick burning made them all leave the shed! They returned later when the smoke had gone though!

Flashbacks of 'The Shining' book. Freaked me out.

sugarmouse

I am a complete freak about wasps.I am scared of them beyond beleif-never being stung, and I have been known to freak folk out by picking up bumble bees and honey bees and having them crawl all over me....I love them and they never bother me at all.But somethign abotu wasps.
    I think its because they look evil!Dont you think?They frown at you and have a really nasty look about them.
    Id never harm one dont get me wrong

I know what you mean sugarmouse, wasps do seem very menacing don't they? Bees are so fluffy, and when they fly they sort of bob all over the show like they're drunk. Wasps seem to have an agenda and fly right at you and chase you etc. I'm petrified of wasps ever since I heard a story about one flying in someones ear and laying eggs! Thankfully I've never been stung though, I have this notion that I'm allergic and would go into shock (it's completely unfounded but I love to think the worst!).

sugarmouse

Quote TheAlterEgo View Post
    I know what you mean sugarmouse, wasps do seem very menacing don't they? Bees are so fluffy, and when they fly they sort of bob all over the show like they're drunk. Wasps seem to have an agenda and fly right at you and chase you etc. I'm petrified of wasps ever since I heard a story about one flying in someones ear and laying eggs! Thankfully I've never been stung though, I have this notion that I'm allergic and would go into shock (it's completely unfounded but I love to think the worst!).

Haha I have thought that too! Its a cynic thing, I think the worst therefore am never ever disappointed!But yeh bees seem easy going and doddle about dont they!Wasps are on an evil mission to hurt humans, and I cannot say I blame them!I wish they could understand my shouting 'Leave me alone please I am a vegan goddamit!Go and attack someone evil!

Good sperm

Could you smother you neighbour's house with jam? That'd keep them away from yours for a while.

You'd need a lot of jam though.

I like that suggestion a lot. Except, if 'twere my house, I would be licking it, and probably eat some wasps in the process, which wouldn't be very vegan.

Quote sugarmouse View Post
    Haha I have thought that too! Its a cynic thing, I think the worst therefore am never ever disappointed!But yeh bees seem easy going and doddle about dont they!Wasps are on an evil mission to hurt humans, and I cannot say I blame them!I wish they could understand my shouting 'Leave me alone please I am a vegan goddamit!Go and attack someone evil!

When drunk one night, me and a friend decided wasps have no ecological purpose and were "put here" to aggravate humankind! Makes sense to me.

cobweb

i believe that, too emzy!

Quote sugarmouse View Post

Sugarmouse we are scarily similar! I do exactly the same thing when wasps harass me! I run about squealing saying 'Leave me alone I'm on your side, go after nasty people!' or something to that effect . I'm also extremely cynical. My boyfriend shouted at me a few weeks ago as a result of it. I had a lot of flowers because it was my birthday and 'cause of my operation and I remarked 'Look at all the flowers I have, god you'd think I was dying.' Apparently an average person would say 'Aww look at all the flowers I have! Aren't they lovely?' . I'm such a terrible cynic but I agree with you sugarmouse, at least that way you're never disappointed, you're either pleasantly surprised when something turns out ok or proven right when it doesn't. That's a win win for me!

sugarmouse

Quote TheAlterEgo View Post
    Sugarmouse we are scarily similar! I do exactly the same thing when wasps harass me! I run about squealing saying 'Leave me alone I'm on your side, go after nasty people!' or something to that effect . I'm also extremely cynical. My boyfriend shouted at me a few weeks ago as a result of it. I had a lot of flowers because it was my birthday and 'cause of my operation and I remarked 'Look at all the flowers I have, god you'd think I was dying.' Apparently an average person would say 'Aww look at all the flowers I have! Aren't they lovely?' I'm such a terrible cynic but I agree with you sugarmouse, at least that way you're never disappointed, you're either pleasantly surprised when something turns out ok or proven right when it doesn't. That's a win win for me!
    Lol tis true!Cynics are never disappointed.
    I love being a cynic...as you say it means you are either happy or right!
    If i smell flowers, I immidiatly think 'Where's the coffin'!
    Who wants to be average anyways
    Hope you make a speedy recovery.
    Lol Sniv!I wouldnt want to imagine what eating a wasp is like!Eeeugh!

LOL, after endorsing putting up mosquito netting around the window I just had a wasp fly in and fly around my semi-naked body scaring the hell out of me because I only had the netting half attached to make opening the window more convenient.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Help!

A plumber I have round at the moment has just found a wasps nest about the size of a grapefruit nestling in my bathroom roofspace, and offered to get rid of it.

Will there be any wasps inside at the moment? I don't want them harmed, but on the other hand I don't want to be bathing with stingy things come summer!
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Could he relocate it!? I guess you dont know if there are live wasps in it or not, unless you have a look!

I thought they vacated the nest in winter and made a new one the next year, so if that's true you could get rid of the nest without harming them. This (not vegan-friendly) site suggests that's the case

http://www.tameside.gov.uk/pestcontrol/waspsbees/faqs

(Page down to "I've got an old wasps'/bees' nest...")

ETA Mind you on the same basis it doesn't really matter whether you get rid of it or not.

I thought the queen hibernated in there, but turns out I'm getting in a muddle with bees.

No, you may be right according to this (again not wasp-friendly) site

http://www.trapawasp.co.uk/about_wasps.htm

...but it agrees that they all start a new nest next year. So the safest thing might be to leave the old one where it is and the queen, if she's in there, will clear off in the spring.

Thanks Cherry and harpy
    "If you don't have a song to sing you're okay, you know how to get along humming" Waltz (better than fine) - Fiona Apple

Mazzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzel tov!

it's pretty important to know whether it's bees or not as many people just say wasps for both and tbh many just think that wasps are pointy bees that don't make honey
    If I sink to the bottom I can run to the shore.