Thread: vegan in norway

Default vegan in norway

i'm doing a backpacking trip in norway this summer. does anyone know how easy it is to do there?

Default Re: vegan in norway

It depends where you are going in Norway ... and what you are used too.

In the city there are loads of ethinc food stores and health shop with all kinds of vegan food, mock duck, soy youghurt, beans, lentils, couscous ect

I live in a town and my local grocery store with not many groceries has now sugar free & chocolate soy or rice milk

A shop with the name MENY is all over the country has loads of vegetables/fruits and some vegan items like:
    tofu
    meat replacement (I think so but have not tried it)
    soy milk, oat milk, rice milk with chocolate/vanila/plain/with calcium ect flavours
    soya supreme sour cream
    vegan cream replacement
    soy pudding with vanilla & chocolate flavours
    chocolate
    cookies
    vegetables soup
    lentils
    beans
    ect

And not all of the norwegian cuisine is not suitable for vegans, though it seems so. At cafes it can be quite difficult sometimes but I have had good experience with it, but I like fries, salad and ketchup

Good Luck =)

Its more about it here in this thread: http://www.veganforum.com/forums/showthread.php?t=6988

wow that was a great thanks. have you heard of st. olav's way? it's a pilgrimage in norway...hopefully they'll have plenty of MENYs along the way!

the northern part of norway doesnt have MENY. and uhm dont go to diners if you want something else than fries with ketchup lol. so what part of norway are you interested in? oh wow walking from oslo to trondheim? thats a bit of a stretch hehehe. but the northern part of norway is more genuine, and the people are way friendlier!
    regarding your question about how easy backpacking is i take it you mean camping out in a tent and walking? or taking a bus?

Jam, jam, jam.

There is a brand of biscuit, sorry but cannot remember it's name that sells a sort of hobnob biscuit, it has a blue wrapper, and that's vegan and avaliable even in some petrol stations. Think it's name begins with a b! Also lefse/lomper is, I always had to read the label cos I couldnt remember which was which, but the potato one is vegan, a sort of potato flat bread that looks a bit like a flour wrap.

Otherwise, the health food shops are really good

Enjoy Norway

Quote thegiantteapot View Post
    There is a brand of biscuit, sorry but cannot remember it's name that sells a sort of hobnob biscuit, it has a blue wrapper, and that's vegan and avaliable even in some petrol stations. Think it's name begins with a b!

This is the cookie.
    But in Norway it is called Ballerina.
    But the package looks like this!