Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 ... LastLast

Thread: Cycling?

Question Cycling?

Just wondering if theres many other vegan cyclists around on the forum .. I've been getting into it more recently with summer coming about , travel to school every day on my bike ( 1-2 miles each way , but once every week I'm at my dad's house so its 7 miles each way) , on Saturday I did a 50 mile ride (was going to do 100 but had about 15mph headwind and going uphill most of the way so ..) , and have done about 65 miles in one day before .. Just got a normalish hybrid road bike with nice chunky alloy frames .. got panniers to hold my stuff too ..
    Anyone else cycle regularly?
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Default Re: Cycling?

I can't ride a bike! Here's a thread that might interest you.
    "Do what you can with what you have where you are."
    - Theodore Roosevelt

seitan

i used to ride mountain bikes alot, race them too, first cross country racing then i switched to downhill.
    now ive taken the easier option (tho, not really that much easier!) as i ride dirt bikes.

Herbsman

cycle courier here.

I do 30-60 miles in a day depending on demand, 5 days a week. I'd say 200 mile a week on average. As long as I eat and drink properly and don't push myself too hard, I actually feel more energetic at the weekends. Must be the endorphins and the increased blood flow and stuff.

Can't hold my drink though

Stu

I cycle for about an hour and twenty minutes per day, on average. It literally halves my travelling time to/from work, plus I get a buzz out of going at ridiculous speeds with funky grooves in the earphones.

I'm starting to get back into cycling now that the snow and rain are gone! I usually just go for leisure, but I think I have some kind of hybrid bike...idk lol.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

What sort of size tyres have you got? Mine are an inch wide I think - 100psi .. nice and very low rolling resistance but can still go over bumps
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Uh does it say on the bike or the tire?
    Honestly, I just went into the shop and said that I need something for leisure on streets (commute) but possibly some off-road (fun!). Nothing like in the woods or heavy terrain. I think mine are sort of thin, at least in comparison to mountain bike tires.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Stu

Yeah, sounds like a hybrid. I used to have a hybrid. You can't really go wrong with one of those bad boys.

I used to ride for hours every day and had nice stocky legs. Sadly some thieving scum decided they would relieve me of my pride and joy and I haven't been able to afford to replace it since.

I used to do a lot of downhill riding and loved fast riding on gravel. I'm still fairly fit and can maintain a good road speed for a good hour. I need to get my own bike again

I used to ride a lot in my teens (cheap and easy transport!) but haven't for a long while. I've been planning to get a new bike for ages but just haven't got round to it yet - overwhelmed by too much choice.
    Don't much like the idea of getting even stockier legs than I have now though!
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

I would cycle more but the seat hurts my bum Does anyone else have this problem? I wish they would make wider seats for bikes. They need to be big, soft and comfy
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

there are special pants that reduce the pain otherwise you just have to get used to it .

Herbsman

Quote Maisiepaisie View Post
    I would cycle more but the seat hurts my bum Does anyone else have this problem? I wish they would make wider seats for bikes. They need to be big, soft and comfy
    Contrary to popular misconceptions, big seats aren't actually the answer to discomfort in that area.

Try Specialized Body Geometry saddles in combination with padded shorts.

You can get some fantastic women's bicycle seats but unfortunately you're expected to buy them as well as the token one you get with the bike. Not really very fair in my opinion.

Herbsman

Quote aubergine View Post
    You can get some fantastic women's bicycle seats but unfortunately you're expected to buy them as well as the token one you get with the bike. Not really very fair in my opinion.

Part of the reason a complete bike is the price that it is, is because all of the parts have been bought in bulk, and because it has a certain level of parts on it. They are not custom bikes, they are mass-produced identikit bikes, therefore you cannot expect them to come with a 'fantastic' saddle on them.

Plus, everyone has a different sized arse, so, even if you bought the 'best' women's saddle, it might be super comfortable for one woman but hellishly uncomfortable for another.

The saddle that comes on a complete bike is there simply to get you out of the shop - they're not gonna sell a complete bike with no saddle and then measure you up so that they can choose one that fits you perfectly. In a perfect world maybe, but not in this one.

If you want a saddle that fits you perfectly then you either have to buy a new one to replace the one that came with your bike, or choose one when you build your bike yourself. That's just the way it is.

Some women's specific bikes (Trek for example) come with decent saddles that are more suited to women's bodies, but like I say - everyone's body has a different shape and size.

Also, adjusting the saddle to the right height makes a lot of difference, both to how easy it is to ride and to the soreness levels.

Quote Herbsman View Post
    Part of the reason a complete bike is the price that it is, is because all of the parts have been bought in bulk, and because it has a certain level of parts on it. They are not custom bikes, they are mass-produced identikit bikes, therefore you cannot expect them to come with a 'fantastic' saddle on them.

Plus, everyone has a different sized arse, so, even if you bought the 'best' women's saddle, it might be super comfortable for one woman but hellishly uncomfortable for another.

The saddle that comes on a complete bike is there simply to get you out of the shop - they're not gonna sell a complete bike with no saddle and then measure you up so that they can choose one that fits you perfectly. In a perfect world maybe, but not in this one.

If you want a saddle that fits you perfectly then you either have to buy a new one to replace the one that came with your bike, or choose one when you build your bike yourself. That's just the way it is.

Some women's specific bikes (Trek for example) come with decent saddles that are more suited to women's bodies, but like I say - everyone's body has a different shape and size.
    I understand on cheap bikes, but if one spends £500+ on a men's bike you get a premium mens saddle. The same is not the case for a a £500+ women's bike and yet comparable premium women's saddles exist at a similar price point.

Herbsman

I spent £550 on my bike and didn't get anything near a premium saddle.

It would help if you posted some examples for comparison...

I've been thinking about getting a bike I'm so lazy and I need to get out more. My boyfriend recently got a new bike so I'm thinking that I will too once I'm healed so we can go on little bike rides together in the summer .

seitan

Quote Fungus View Post
    What sort of size tyres have you got? Mine are an inch wide I think - 100psi .. nice and very low rolling resistance but can still go over bumps
    100psi?????? jeezus fuckmonkeys!!!!

seitan

Quote aubergine View Post
    I used to ride for hours every day and had nice stocky legs. Sadly some thieving scum decided they would relieve me of my pride and joy and I haven't been able to afford to replace it since.

I used to do a lot of downhill riding and loved fast riding on gravel. I'm still fairly fit and can maintain a good road speed for a good hour. I need to get my own bike again
    where did you ride downhill in london???

Herbsman

Quote seitan View Post
    100psi?????? jeezus fuckmonkeys!!!!
    That's not particularly high. Road tyres are generally recommended to be at around 120 (depending on the tyre and rim) - anything between 90 and 120 is the norm.

seitan

well, they did make big seats, and may still do so. i have a big soft seat on my downhill bike. the seat was often reffered to as the couch by many of my mtb friends
    i used to ride loads, then got in to dirt bikes. coupel years back i thought id go out on my hardtail, in to some local woods. it killed my butt! so, i got a kona "free-ride" bike whihc has rear suspension, but it just has a short travel whihc is ideal, as very little power is lost but the ass sting gets taken out

I have a MTB.. tramway tracks (?) are really a problem here in Lisboa because thin tyres get stuck there which can be a serious problem, plus it allows me to do off-road which I enjoy as well.
    No-one has brought up the helmet debate yet? My stance is that they're unnecessary; I don't use any. I do own one though because it gives me more confidence for downhilling.

Stu

I don't use a helmet, for several reasons.

1) They are uncool, and being cool is very important.
    2) There is - and there is admittedly a lot of debate about this - evidence to suggest that they increase your chances of having an incident, partly due to the way drivers pass you.

http://www.bath.ac.uk/news/articles/...ing110906.html

And I subscribe the 'coolness' thing.. especially with my large, curly hair.. when I wear a helmet my hair looks like this, but curly

Stu

Thanks for the link, Fungus. I enjoyed reading that article. I found the info about the increased rotational effect caused by helmet-wearing, to be interesting.

Stu

Nice one for the link, Fresquinho.

Quote:
    "Across the board, drivers passed an average of 8.5 cm (3 1/3 inches) closer with the helmet than without."

I wear a cycle helmet - I don't look cool but my bro died from head injuries when his bike and a car collided so although I know the stats are pretty even both ways I kind feel safer wearing one.

Plus I am sufficiently cool to get away with wearing anything
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Stu

Really sorry to hear about your brother, Linda. I didn't know about that. I reckon you look well cool in your bike helmet, singing along as you go down the street.

What should I look for when searching for these comfier seats and the shorts? Any recommendations? Thanks

Herbsman

What should I look for when searching for these comfier seats and the shorts? Any recommendations? Thanks
    Have you got a Decathlon in Manchester? They do padded shorts for about £6

I've heard of Aldi and/or Lidl selling them too - £4 I think

The comfiest ones I've worn are Endura 6-panel shorts. WAY comfier than cheapo decathlon stuff (I own both), about £20 I think.

As for seats I would try a Specialized Body Geometry seat, or a WTB women's saddle. But to be honest your best bet is to go to a bike shop and try one. Buying without trying is very hit and miss.

Body Geometry saddles come in 3 widths. If you have a Specialized shop near you they can measure the distance between your 'sit bones' so they know what width saddle to sell to you

Why not try Harry Hall cycles in Manchester? They sell Specialized stuff including women's BG saddles. Ask for Craig - I'm not sure if he still works there but if you see him, tell him Lee the messenger from Brum sent you.

Thanks Herbsman

Good sperm

Quote seitan View Post
    where did you ride downhill in london???
    Are you kidding? London, being a river basin, has nearly all its suburbs on reeeeeeeeeeeealy big hills. We live on the Kent border and there are plenty of places to go downhill. Fast.

Just some ideas - Crystal Palace, Box Hill, Greenwich Park...

RebeccaDye

Forest Hill.
    I only really cycle when I go outside of London.

i had a scooter for work but it was stolen two weeks ago grrrrr

so while the insurance is being sorted out i bought a bicycle. my gosh!! i'm so unfit!. I live in a rather hilly part of the world but even so i'm struggling! i don't know how i'm going to cope cycling for work. I have to cycle to the clinic i work in, then do two or three home/school visits a day, ususally returning to the clinic in between each one. i'm not looking forward to tomorrow.

any tips on how i can get fit?! any foods that would particularly help? loads of carbs maybe?

*edit* i live in wales now even though my profile says london. feel my (thigh) pain!

Herbsman

Quote Agatha View Post
    any tips on how i can get fit?!
    Believe it or not, you get fit by cycling. It really is that simple.

Quote Herbsman View Post
    Believe it or not, you get fit by cycling. It really is that simple.
    ha ha! yes i get that... but i'm not even fit enough to start cycling. i managed 20 mins today and had a 20 mintue sleep when i got home. how pathetic!

Anyone here ever travelled by bike? I'm considering going from Lisbon to Algarve (~300km).. or (highly doubtful) going to Europe. Wouldn't be to keen on cycling on truck-filled roads though.

Herbsman

Quote Agatha View Post
    ha ha! yes i get that... but i'm not even fit enough to start cycling. i managed 20 mins today and had a 20 mintue sleep when i got home. how pathetic!
    You can't not be fit enough to start cycling, that is a paradox, that is impossible.

There is no minimum fitness level for starting cycling. You just start doing it regularly and then you get fitter with time.

Quote Agatha View Post
    cycling is like walking - you only need to be really fit if you want to cycle at speed or for great distances. If you just meander from one place to another it is a relaxing thing to do and doesn't require you to be any fitter than you would need to be to walk - in fact less so if anything!

Just go at your own pace - don't set goals, just enjoy!
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

treaclemine

I would cycle more but the seat hurts my bum
    Recumbents!

Without wishing to sound like a bike snob, £500, whilst not low end is a fairly modest sum in the scheme of things and I wouldn't expect to get a top of the range saddle at that price point.

Saddles like pedals/shoes are very personal and it kind of makes sense for a low to mid range bike to have a cheapish saddle that can be upgraded later when the rider has gained a better understanding of what is likely to suit them.

Sadly getting the right saddle will always be more of an art than a science, simply splashing out on an expensive one will not guarantee success, unfortunately.

Apart from the obvious anatomical variations you have to consider what type of bike you have, your riding style, distances travelled etc. A wide, well padded saddle that suits an upright riding style would not be suitable for a fast road bike with drop handlebars, for example.

This is the saddle that came with my new bike http://www.specialized.com/bc/SBCEqP...jsp?spid=26036

When I first saw it I thought it looked like an instrument of torture, but it is the most comfortable saddle I have ever had. They retail for about £80. I love mine but plenty of people can't get on with them. The Fizik Arione is another popular model, but again not everone's cup of tea.

On my mountain bike I have a very well padded gel saddle similar to this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/ProductDetai...letic%20Saddle

I find it's OK up to about 20 miles but then gets a bit uncomfortable. I gather than most of the overtly padded saddles are like this. There is a school of thought that says that softer saddles make you stick to them and inhibit fore & aft movement.

Apart from the saddle I have found that getting a proper pair of cycling shorts (the ones where you don't wear underwear) makes a world of difference.

Sorry I don't know how to do the URL shortening thing.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

My wife just started biking. She's vegan too.
    She's doing this ride to "end AIDS" in California.
    If your interested in biking, especially if you're just starting out, you should read her blog. Go here: http://www.aidslifecycle.org/2147
    context is everything

Herbsman

Quote veganlinda View Post
    cycling is like walking - you only need to be really fit if you want to cycle at speed or for great distances. If you just meander from one place to another it is a relaxing thing to do and doesn't require you to be any fitter than you would need to be to walk - in fact less so if anything!

Just go at your own pace - don't set goals, just enjoy!
    This is my point... you can't not be fit enough to start. When you do any type of exercise, that exercise makes you fitter for that specific type of exercise. Therefore, you ride your bike, you get fitter. Simple.

Even if you have never cycled before, and you start riding just for short distances a few times a week (say 20-30 minutes each time, without freewheeling too much), you will soon be fitter than you were before, and you will be more capable of cycling further without feeling exhausted.

Some guy on my blog asked me "How would I get faster on my bike?". I said "pedal harder". That is the truth. Whatever demands you put on your body, it will adapt.

I try to cycle to work and back most days, it's 5-6 miles each way. I'm loving it in this weather at the mo!
    There's a few spiteful hills of death but they are gradually getting easier too, so it's all good. I need to invest in some proper cycling gear though as cycling in a cotton t-shirt which soaks up my sweat like a sponge and then never dries isn't fun. Sigh.

Herbsman

Get a merino wool jersey.

It will set you back 60 quid because it's an expensive material that cannot be mass produced in the way that cotton or synthetic clothing can, but believe me its worth it. It dries really quick and it doesn't pong - I know someone who wears his 5 days a week and only has to wash it once a week. Whereas my synthetic jerseys will start to pong before I even reach work (it's 3 miles from my house!)

Wool isn't vegan...