Thread: Daily Fat Allowance? Going way over...

purple haze

Default Daily Fat Allowance? Going way over...

For a 2000 calorie diet, the FDA recommends no more than 60 grams of fat daily. My caloric intake is around 2700-3000. Thus I am assuming, by percentage, my fat intake should be no more than 75-80 grams daily.

I have been trying to gain weight, unsuccessfully, for some time now. Anyway, by my estimates, I eat well over 100 grams of fat a day. I drown all of my beans, rice, pasta, bread, etc in olive oil. I put peanut butter on anything and everything. And I walk around with a jar of mixed nuts and munch all day. I also eat 4-5 avocados a week.

I know I am eating all heart-healthy fats, but I also do not want to be eating too much fat, as I read it may harm the liver and kidneys, etc.

Unfortunately, I need the calories badly, and it is hard for me to eat enough food to keep weight on (much less gain any) if I do not supplement my diet with lots of high-fat items.

Perhaps since almost all of the fat I eat is unsaturated (and I never eat trans-fats) I will be okay eating this much fat?

Educated opinions much appreciated.

Thanks, peace

Default Re: Daily Fat Allowance? Going way over...

I would look more into the ratio of omega-3 to omega-6, and getting more monounsaturated fats than polyunsats and saturated fats. The grams don't really matter, it's more about the percentage of your calories that are from fats. At 100grams, you are looking at 900cals of fats, which is 30-33% of your cals from fats. Some would say this is high, but there are many people (see, Mediterranean Diet) who get 30-35% of their cals from fats. I really wouldn't worry about it.
    Try adding calorie dense carbs, like beans, grains, and rice!