Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Thread: Cycling?

Default Re: Cycling?

I use wicking jerseys for cycling long distances and running and they keep me nice n dry. they also have the advantage of drying really quickly when you wash them.

I know there are some garments you can buy where the wool used has been shed naturally but I doubt very much this is the case with merino wool jerseys!
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.

Quote veganlinda View Post
    I use wicking jerseys for cycling long distances and running and they keep me nice n dry. they also have the advantage of drying really quickly when you wash them.

I know there are some garments you can buy where the wool used has been shed naturally but I doubt very much this is the case with merino wool jerseys!
    If there were a scale involved in suffering involved in wool production Merino sheep would be up there right at the top compared to say, Shetland sheep!
    There's been a bit of controvesy in Sweden this year over a documentary aired and it's resulted in a blanket ban on importing wool from Merino sheep that have been mulesed from Australia and NZ!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

Herbsman

Quote Enchantress View Post
    Wool isn't vegan...
    Whoops. I keep forgetting. Mainly because I only associate veganism with food.

I know there are some garments you can buy where the wool used has been shed naturally
    Feral sheep?
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

rescue - but can't find the link or remember anything useful like a name!

Quote Herbsman View Post
    Whoops. I keep forgetting. Mainly because I only associate veganism with food.
    Surely you don't think leather and fur are okay?

Herbsman, are you a dietary vegan?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Herbsman

Surely you don't think leather and fur are okay?
    No, I simply keep forgetting not to recommend wool, because I forget that it comes from sheep.

Also because I don't buy clothes every day, but I eat food many times every day. So food is way more of a prominent thing for me when it comes to veganism.

Understand?

yup! Have only recently gotten rid of my woolen items for the same reason.

Herbsman

I dont think I had any in the first place :-| Never been keen on wool - might be warm but its bloody itchy

I put that link about my wife's bike ride ( www.aidslifecycle.org/2147 ), but I also just decided to start training for a triathlon.

That means that I've been biking to work every day that I don't have to drive the kids to daycare. That ends up being a bike ride on Wednesday, and Friday to work. Perhaps I can also do it on Mondays, but it might end up being too late since I work late that day.

It's nice. I biked to swim workout today, then biked to work. Totalled 10 miles, and averaged 16.7 miles per hour (including all the rolling "stops" where I'd slow to 2 mph then keep peddaling as soon as the light turned green), and got a top speed of 33.3mph (which I did twice). I'm trying to keep my cadence at 88 rpms, but it's hard!
    I biked for a total of just under 36 minutes. That's only 5 to 10 minutes longer than by car, including the time it takes me to find parking and walk from the spot to work.

If it doens't start to snow again, I might be able to keep this up for a few months!

I also need some training partners. This biking alone has left me quite confused about my progress.

I am also lacking in equipment. I did get a used tri bike from craigslist, but my saddle is terrible, I've got used women's bike shorts (I'm a medium sized man who barely fits into the women's small, except for the fact that the shorst are all stretched out due to being older than my children), and otherwise shitty-arse equipment. So if anyone's got ANYTHING bike related that they can get rid of, send it my way. I can afford shipping, but that's it.

Enough of this ranting. Go to my wife's biking website. She's the one who really needs support. www.aidslifecycle.org/2147
    context is everything

I have been thinking of using my bike the last few days instead of getting the bus, but I keep thinking, I have never rode a bike in public as a daily routine kinda thing....I have rode in public as a day out thing, but never on my own as a 22 year old thats a little overweight and every day in the morning...haha. I keep thinking I'm scared I'll wobble or fall off or maybe i'l just feel insecure and embarrased! I have a bike thats a little old and I am thinking of starting to use it. I don't know.....Hard to say now. The bus is still the easier choice right now. And a lot of people know each other around here. Not many like me...I feel like everyone will laugh at me, but then I could laugh at them. If I could hold a handle with one hand while riding, I could point at every car......now that would be embarrasing. Wanna join me? LOL!

i took my bike out today for a very quick whizz. i'm incredibly unfit its just no fun but i'm determined to get better at it.

It will get better and be fun Agatha!

I have cycled since I was a nipper but I took up running a few years and have gone from only being able to run a few yards to running 3 miles when I go out. Am sure you will be the same with your cycling.

I get a great sense of freedom cycling. Hope you start getting the enjoyment factor soon!

I find that at this time of year getting up nice & early, say 5 o'clock and knocking out a few miles is a brilliant start to the day.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

5am!!!! eight is early enough for me i've just gone back to cycling to and from uni after a while off. been doing it for about a month now, and my boyfriend has been away from the last two. apparently, my bum is much firmer now! i hadn't noticed, as it's obv been gradual, be he sure did

i cycle about 13 miles a day, 6.5 there, and 6.5 back. takes me about 30 mins or 25 if i push myself and the traffic lights play along. my bike's a bit rubbish though and the seat is too low at its highest point, but tom's bought me a new one that he's fixing up, so soon i shall be speedier...i hope!

amanda

I went for a quick bike ride tonight and I am also unfit, but it was fun because I was determined to do it and I got home sweating just a little. I didn't go far, I just rode up down a path on some bankings. At first I felt very awkward and scared i was gonna fall off a few times and some steeper down-hills I got excited because of the speed and breeze but kinda wobbly here and there. But I feel great and I think its something i want to get used to. Still not 100% confident about being on the roads I don't think, but a lot more than before i even left my garden hahaha.

Stu

Keep doing it doing it doing it doing it doing it doing it doing it doing it...!

........and doing it??? hehehe

Quote Darky_ View Post
    I went for a quick bike ride tonight and I am also unfit, but it was fun because I was determined to do it and I got home sweating just a little. I didn't go far, I just rode up down a path on some bankings. At first I felt very awkward and scared i was gonna fall off a few times and some steeper down-hills I got excited because of the speed and breeze but kinda wobbly here and there. But I feel great and I think its something i want to get used to. Still not 100% confident about being on the roads I don't think, but a lot more than before i even left my garden hahaha.
    Confidence on the roads will come in time, just don't be reluctant to be assertive and claim your space.

The biggest single error novices make is riding in the gutter.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Owwww my ass! I need a new seat. After riding yesterday I feel like i wanna go out now, but i still feel the discomfort from yesteday. I have just been outside and sat on it for a bit in the garden wheelin it slowly up & down and the seat digs a bit. Just not the right shape is it?
    It is the original one too. I did just a week ago get this bike out after being stashed away so many years and its still in perfect conditon. I am just a different size, shape etc....

AND THANK U JIGGY WIFFY, u are right.

Before rushing out to spend your hard-earned on a new saddle, I would check that the bike actually fits you properly and is set up right in terms of weight distribution.

This is a good site about fitting.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO

Herbsman

Quote Jiffy View Post
    The biggest single error novices make is riding in the gutter.
    Yep,and the most fatal one is waiting next to large vehicles at traffic lights...

I am loving my bike right now. Can anyone tell me what its like cycling in London, im moving there soon.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Stu

It's not as bad as you might think. I cycle for about an hour and a half per day (or thereabouts) - usually at rush hour. Of course, there are a lot of idiots about, but remember: you can cycle in bus lanes, which means that on many main roads, you more-or-less have a lane to yourself. It's quite satisfying to fly past all the stationary traffic actually, while they all frustratedly honk at one-other.

Also, there are a lot of cycle routes in London. You can get cycle-route maps from TFL (Transport For London).

Quote Jiffy View Post
    Before rushing out to spend your hard-earned on a new saddle, I would check that the bike actually fits you properly and is set up right in terms of weight distribution.

This is a good site about fitting.

http://www.competitivecyclist.com/za...LCULATOR_INTRO
    Ooooh I never thought of that. Thanks a lot JIFFY!
    ....But I still doubt that will be a comfy saddle. haha!

I almost biked to work yesterday, whicn would be the first time since it got warm again, but at the last minute drove instead. When I got there, right in front of my job, a bicyclist was hit by a car, and the bike turned into scrap metal. I don't know if they lived. Now I'm almost scared to start bike commuting again.

Well, I biked to work today. I forgot how easy it was, was afraid I had gotten super out-of-shape. Tomorrow will be spent tuning up my bike, getting husband's bike's brakes and gearshift fixed, buying him a kryptonite chain, getting clips for the wheels' quickrelease tabs, getting extra locks for the wheels and seat, getting splash guards for his bike, and getting baskets or cargo areas for both bikes!

I'm going all out tomorrow. We're gonna pack bike packs for each bike, with rain coats, tire patches and tools, sunscreen, and anything else we might need. *woot*

Quote snivelingchild View Post
    I almost biked to work yesterday, whicn would be the first time since it got warm again, but at the last minute drove instead. When I got there, right in front of my job, a bicyclist was hit by a car, and the bike turned into scrap metal. I don't know if they lived. Now I'm almost scared to start bike commuting again.
    Whilst these things are very distressing at the time, it's worth bearing in mind that per mile or kilometre travelled cycling remains one of the safest forms of transport.

Cycling becomes even more safe if there is an increase in the number of cyclists on the road (notice I said road, not cycling farcility!).

Quote Stu View Post
    It's not as bad as you might think. I cycle for about an hour and a half per day (or thereabouts) - usually at rush hour. Of course, there are a lot of idiots about, but remember: you can cycle in bus lanes, which means that on many main roads, you more-or-less have a lane to yourself. It's quite satisfying to fly past all the stationary traffic actually, while they all frustratedly honk at one-other.

Also, there are a lot of cycle routes in London. You can get cycle-route maps from TFL (Transport For London).
    Re bus lanes this might be of interest. I personally think it would be a disaster.

http://yacf.co.uk/forum/index.php?topic=3284.0

i'm so anti that policy. it's bad enough having to deal with motorcycles at lights, all pulling away around you, zooming up from behind. i'm sure a lot of motorcyclists would use the lanes responsibility, but a sector of them wouldn't, and i think this could potentially cause a lot of problems.

even buses are not that responsible. can't think of the number of times a bus has pulled out in front of me, not indicating and clearly not looking. pisses me off that i have to be watching to see if there are still people getting on/off etc, driving for them as well as cycling for myself...

amanda

I've been cycling to work almost every day and I'm loving it. I find I have way more physical and mental energy when I cycle instead of take public transit. A couple of cyclists have been killed here recently. Cars are scary but I find the cyclists who don't wear helmets but do wear headphones almost as scary.
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

I bought a bike two weeks ago and took a 20 mile bikeride today. (Theres an excellent trail around here that is pretty flat, or else I wouldn't have made it that far). It was great. We probably would have gone a little farther except it started to rain. I am looking forward to doing some more biking
    tabbouleh-bouleh

fondducoeur, that's awesome! i just found a trail around here, too (flat as well!)

RE: stupid cyclists - about nine out of ten riders here ride in the bike line traveling the wrong direction!! I give them dirty looks and sometimes shout. There's giant shiny arrows for goodness sakes, no reading required!

Herbsman

RE: stupid cyclists - about nine out of ten riders here ride in the bike line traveling the wrong direction!! I give them dirty looks and sometimes shout. There's giant shiny arrows for goodness sakes, no reading required!
    happens here quite a lot too

muppets

I think some people were taught to go against traffic and some were taught to go with traffic. IDK, as long as they stay I'm fine with them. Plus, I dont have much of a problem with them, I'm either on rurual roads without lines (!) or highways without room for bikes.

Quote ellaminnowpea View Post
    I think some people were taught to go against traffic and some were taught to go with traffic. IDK, as long as they stay I'm fine with them. Plus, I dont have much of a problem with them, I'm either on rurual roads without lines (!) or highways without room for bikes.
    When you say hghways without room for bikes are you referring to roads where bicycles are prohibited?

I think some people were taught to go against traffic and some were taught to go with traffic.
    The rule, I believe, is to bike with traffic, but walk against traffic, although doing both with traffic makes since to me.

I just go
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

On my way home from work today, I had to cycle through the scene of a bike-car accident. The bike was mashed and there was an ambulance taking the cyclist away. There have been so many accidents here lately.
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

fondducoeur, that's awesome! i just found a trail around here, too (flat as well!)
    Excellent! Good to know there is a good trail in the State College area
    tabbouleh-bouleh

Herbsman

The rule, I believe, is to bike with traffic, but walk against traffic, although doing both with traffic makes since to me.
    walking with traffic means you can't see what's coming towards you, because it's coming from behind. therefore you stand far less chance of getting out of the way if it's going to hit you.

Yeah, that makes more sense. Walking against/biking with it is!!

I recently started cycling again, not much, only to work really. But today I got it out and went to Cannock Chase, and had a wonderful day. I'm quite achey and tired now, which I'm not that suprised about, cos it's the first real exercise I've had in over a year, since football injury. I did about 35 miles or so, and apart from 3-4 miles, it was all off road, a lot being up hill (which screwed me in all honesty!). I might take my camera up there next week and post a couple of pics, cos it is one of the most lovely places to go cycling.
    I like football. And potatoes.

Stu

I love feeling all achey.

Herbsman

Quote Frosty View Post
    I recently started cycling again, not much, only to work really. But today I got it out and went to Cannock Chase, and had a wonderful day. I'm quite achey and tired now, which I'm not that suprised about, cos it's the first real exercise I've had in over a year, since football injury. I did about 35 miles or so, and apart from 3-4 miles, it was all off road, a lot being up hill (which screwed me in all honesty!). I might take my camera up there next week and post a couple of pics, cos it is one of the most lovely places to go cycling.
    I love cannock chase, it's ace

I was planning a nice long ride yesterday, but I got sucked in to fettling my sons's Halfrauds special.

V brakes knackered, rear freewheel knackered, broken spokes on rear wheel.

First time I've replaced a cable on a SRAM twist shift as well and it's a right caper.

I cycle to work most days, here's a load of photos of my commute along the river bank, through the nature reserve and back along the canal.
    I go a slightly different route now which avoids the housing estate and puts the distance up to 14km, although it was raining last night so I cheated and took the direct 10km route home.
    I've taken up mountain bike racing. I did a 12 hour marathon last Saturday and finished 17th out of 43 in the men's solo fun class or 30th of 74 solo men overall. The friend I went with won the women's solo fun class. Results. That's us, Team Pale Skinny Vegan.

I've been asking on veganfitness and the Vegetarian Cycling & Athletics Club site for any other vegans who might want to enter UK MTB races and not got much interest.
    Anyone here want to have a great day out with hundreds of other mountain bikers ?
    Don't give me any of that "I'm not fast enough to race" nonsense. Blasting across a mountain as fast as you can in a bunch of 500 bikes is an awesome experience whether you're at the back or the front.

There's a couple of races coming up in July in Wales that I will probably do. It would be great to meet up with a few more vegans there.

I hadn't cycled since my accident in early April and did over 30 mi today.. I'm tired