Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4

Thread: Cycling?

Default Re: Cycling?

Info about the helmet debate.

Quote Aradia View Post
    Who's looking forward to le Tour de France ?? I am, can't wait, dead excited, can't wait, yeah, yeah, yeah.

Went to see the time trials in Cognac last year and it was great. Fab atmosphere. Will see the second time trials again this year. Will take the dogs there and camp for a few nights.

Hope Cadel Evans does really well ..... would love him to win.

Also hope David Millar does well .. he's an inspiration that bloke. The way he owned up to and dealt with his drug taking (only twice, and at team pressure). Total respect for the man, he never tries to sweep his experience under the carpet and is always happy to talk about it and show young riders that you can be at the top of the game without steoids, etc.

I hope there isn't the same awful drug shadow across the race as last year though.
    I went to see the start last year. When you see the speed those blokes do up close it's incredible.

Who do you think is going to win this year then?
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

Well, Evans has got to be in with a great chance, specially as Contador and Rassmusen aren't riding. But then again a younger rider could blast through and surprise us all.

I'm glad Lance Armstrong isn't riding in the tour anymore. Amazing rider though he was, he always won, it's a much more exciting race now that it's more open. Hats off to him though, he was like a machine!

Cadel Evans is one of the most powerful riders I've ever seen in the flesh so to speak. I was sipping Sangria under the shade of my gazebo and this bolt of firey energy just whizzed by ... he almost didn't seem human!

A friend of mine suffered a seizure while riding her bike in a race. She crashed headfirst into a tree. The helmet broke upon impact, and her skull and brain were intact. She suffered only scratches on her face from the brush as she flew through the air.

The doctors stated that the helmet had saved her life.

I'm sure that in some cases, a properly fitting helmet can be detrimental, just as I'm sure that in some cases, seatbelts can be detrimental.

However, considering that I just fell off my bike at 25mph two days ago, and walked away with only a few scratches inspite falling on my head, arms, and thigh, I'll continue taking my chances with a helmet (and seatbelts). That helmet, if anything, saved my face from tears.

I'm off to get a new helmet now.
    context is everything

I'm with rodolfo with this one. I do believe that there are many cases where helmets/seatbelts/airbags etc have caused injury, or not help protect from injury. But I shall still continue to wear mine. I have never had to 'use' my helmet in the past (touches wood), but surely any additional protection to my accident prone life would be a plus.

But as linda said before, can we not argue over this. Seems altogether rather daft to be honest.

Heading back to the cycling on pavement stuff from earlier, when cycling home from work today I saw two police officers cycling on a pavement. They were cycling on a cycle path, but this ended, and they continued. There's even a sign that says to dismount there as well. Naughty fuzz...
    I like football. And potatoes.

haha, naughty fuzz...

here's a cycling question.
    Recently I have had 3 punctures in my back wheel in 4/5 rides....what am I doing wrong? or is it possible to be that unlucky in the middle of an 8 mile trip to work?
    Also has anyone heard of innertube slime? I'm considering getting some to prevent future mishaps.
    xxx

Are you sure you have got the cause of the puncture out of the tyre ?
    If you leave the thorn stuck in the tyre it will go through the inner tube again.
    When you find the puncture in the tube, hold it against the tyre with the valve lined up and have a thorough inspection of the tyre in the area of the puncture to make sure there is nothing sticking through.

I use Stan's No Tubes.
    It's a way of converting tubed tyres to tubeless by using a special rim tape with a sealant inside the tyre that will plug any punctures as they happen.
    It's becoming almost universal amongst serious mountain bikers.
    There's a load of information here. "Ghetto" is a slang word for using a cut open 20" inner tube instead of buying the proiper rim tape.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

Bear mauls teen during 24-hour bike race

ANCHORAGE, Alaska (AP) — A 14-year-old girl riding in a mountain bike race was attacked in the dark of night by a bear Sunday and severely injured, but she was able to make a brief 911 call that eventually resulted in her rescue.
    The girl suffered head, neck, torso and leg wounds. She underwent surgery and was in critical condition Sunday afternoon at Providence Alaska Medical Center, police said.
    “The local bear expert said it’s probably a sow grizzly,” said Cleo Hill, a spokeswoman for the Anchorage Fire Department. “One has been sighted in the area recently.”
    The attack occurred along a trail in a 24-hour race put on by the Arctic Bicycle Club in Bicentennial Park. Rescuers had to hike in more than two miles to reach the girl.
    The park, on Anchorage’s east side, borders on Chugach State Park. Wild animals — from grizzly and black bears to moose, wolves and wolverines — frequent the area. The girl was attacked as she reached a trail.
    About 60 riders were entered in the race — a circular route that followed groomed trails used by hikers, bikers and skiers. The race began at noon Saturday and was to conclude at noon Sunday but was canceled after the attack.
    Rick Sinnott, a wildlife biologist with the Alaska Department of Fish and Game, told the Anchorage Daily News that the bear could have been a mother that charged two runners on a nearby trail two weeks ago.
    Sinnott went to the scene and posted warning signs, and said
    the girl was fortunate to be wearing a bike helmet because the bear had bitten her head.

Proof, if it were needed, that cycling helmets will save your life.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

Living as I do in South London, I'm more worried about dangerous wildlife of the humanoid variety.
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

i nearly got hit by two cyclists in as many minutes in Brighton the other day, both times it was my right of way - one went through a red light when the green man was dispaying, and the other was weaving down a narrow pavement. i can understand why cyclists bend the rules sometimes but i've had so many near misses now my sympathy is being eroded somewhat.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quite so. Recruiting sergeants for the anti-cycling lobby.

Incidentally and with apologies for the pedantry, 'right of way' relates to the right to access 'priority' determines who should go first

yes, and i still believe 'right of way' was the correct term in this case.
    'The word gorilla was derived from the Greek word Gorillai (a "tribe of hairy women")'

Quote twist View Post
    here's a cycling question.
    Recently I have had 3 punctures in my back wheel in 4/5 rides....what am I doing wrong? or is it possible to be that unlucky in the middle of an 8 mile trip to work?
    Also has anyone heard of innertube slime? I'm considering getting some to prevent future mishaps.
    xxx
    I have been using the green slime for a couple of years now. No punctures at all in that time and I cycle every day and occasionally go on 30 mile jaunts. Definitely a recommend from me.
    'Spring will soon pounce [like a floppy kitten]'. Whalespace.