Thread: canned/boxed or bulk beans and rice?

journey

Default canned/boxed or bulk beans and rice?

Which do you use? I've always used canned beans, boxed instant brown rice, but wanted to try cheaper/better for you bulk beans and rice.

I tried to cook about 12 servings of rice in the microwave (to freeze in individual portions for later) - but it took forever, and never did seem to get thoroughly cooked (brown basmati) - should I not being trying to microwave such large quantities?

Beans - soaked overnight, but still took a long time to cook. I'm wondering if canned beans are really that much more expensive and better for you to make it worth the extra time/work. Any thoughts?

Default Re: canned/boxed or bulk beans and rice?

It's definitely WAAAAYYY cheaper to buy all this kind of stuff in bulk. I don't know about the time/expense factor for you. I buy canned beans and don't eat rice, but the canned beans are worth it for me whilst in school running between classes and work. I think that ones up to you.

I've never tried to microwave rice, though. I'd try using a rice cooker instead, especially if its not cooking thoroughly.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

journey

I'm not sure I know what a rice cooker is - is that like a steamer?

They're just little pots with like a steel bowl inside. You plug it in and it cooks rice! Its just called a rice cooker!

Do you not just have a normal cooker, journey?

journey

I've got a steamer, and could just cook it in a normal pot on the stove, but have the mess. Always seems easier to wash up if I just nuke stuff. But I've been told that microwaving it probably was the problem, and microwaving large quantities is just not time efficient like it is with small quantities anyway.

Personally, I wouldn't use the microwave if possible. I don't think its healthy and/ or any more beneficial than cooking it in a steamer/ rice cooker/ pot. It may take longer to cook rather than microwave, but imo its much healthier to cook it.

I keep a few tins of kidney beans in the cupboard for quick chilies but think that dried have a better texture and flavour and I can find far more varieties than I can in tins. If I do a big chili or bean stew I'll get several meals out of it so I think it's worth the time and energy to cook. I use the microwave for reheating and defrosting but that's about it.

journey

I think I'm also coming to the conclusion that for big pots of something (that I can then freeze leftovers) it's worth the extra work.