Thread: Protein powder?

Default Protein powder?

Hi all!
    I am looking (in CO, USA) for the cheapest protein powder. Online seems to add too much shipping cost. I don't want soy, but rice, hemp, and pea are all good, as well as blends. Flavors don't matter, size can be anywhere from 1-5lbs, if not more. Any ideas?

And thanks in advance for replies!

Default Re: Cheapest protein powder?

I just process nuts and seeds and add a couple of tablespoons to smoothies. Cheap and high protein plus omegas. I used to purchase protein powder cause I work out a lot but it was expensive and highly processed with not good for you re chemicals etc. The guy at the protein food store advised me re the nuts and seeds.

Yeah I'm looking for something that's lower in fat than nuts and seeds, but thanks!

Steve B

http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/soy.html
    This seems like a good deal, .02 a gram.

For your health

Thanks for the replies!

I just wanted to say that I recently bought some powder from TrueProtein. I bought 3lbs of Vanilla Gemma (with Stevia) and it was about $7.80/lb...

Quote Fuhzy View Post
    Hi all!
    I am looking (in CO, USA) for the cheapest protein powder. Online seems to add too much shipping cost. I don't want soy, but rice, hemp, and pea are all good, as well as blends. Flavors don't matter, size can be anywhere from 1-5lbs, if not more. Any ideas?

And thanks in advance for replies!
    http://www.miraclehempseed.com/default.aspx

Free shipping on orders over $50.00

Quote Steve B View Post
    http://www.bodybuilding.com/store/now/soy.html
    This seems like a good deal, .02 a gram.

For your health
    I know Soy to be a very high quality protein, but my nutritionist has advised against consuming more than 30 grams a day or so due to it's potential to increase estrogen levels. I personally feel the threat of this has probably been exaggerated, but why take chances?

So, if you're already getting 30 grams or so from other products such as burgers and milk, I'd go for a non-soy vegan protein powder. I don't know specifically which brands compare well with one another, but I do know that The Vitamine Shoppe has several, last I checked. I'm sure you can find one within your price range.
    "I have spread my dreams beneath your feet. Tread softly because you tread on my dreams."

Default Vegan Protein Powder

I've been a Vegan for about 2 years now. Recently, I had some lab work done and everything checked out pretty well, except my Album levels, which are an indicator for "Protein" levels, is just a tad low. I admit that I was probably not being as careful as I should about consuming enough protein, mainly because I can't eat soy products due to an allergy. My doctor was very pleased that my cholesterol has dropped down considerably, I've completely reversed out my diabetes and I am now off all my medications. My blood pressure is like that of a teenager. I'm 55 so this has been a remarkable journey for me. My health is greatly improved overall.

Anyhooooo... My doctor doesn't want me to stop my Vegan diet, but suggested that I take a good protein supplement in the mornings to bump up my protein levels. I can't take protein power made with soy for obvious reasons, so I'm looking for a good 'non soy' vegan protein powder to mix with my almond milk and some fruit in the mornings. I'm also going to increase a few other plant based proteins.. beans, nuts & seeds, quinoa etc... to see if that helps. I'm suppose to come back in 6 weeks for more testing.

Can anyone recommend a good vegan 'non soy' protein powder? I've been looking at Sunwarrior, but would like to do further research before buying. Preferably nothing chalky tasting!

Thanks!

Jenny
    Last edited by Korn; Sep 29th, 2012 at 04:42 PM. Reason: This was the first post in a similar thread
    "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car". (Harvey Diamond)

Default Re: Protein powder?

Hi Jenny,
    I just moved your thread to the "Protein Myth" subforum!
    Did you ask your doctor why he wanted you to take a protein powder instead of just eating more protein rich food?
    I will not eat anything that walks, swims, flies, runs, skips, hops or crawls.

No I really didn't ask him, but I did make the comment that I would try to increase my protein on my own, however, he suggested that I take the protein supplement anyway in addition to a dietary change. I've been feeling tired lately and would like to increase my protein levels over all. I think if I could get a good supplement in my morning smoothie, I would feel better about it. I'm always on the run and I travel allot. Sometimes I'm not as careful as I should be, or in some cases I end up at restaurants that don't have a good selection of vegan dishes and I end up ordering a salad and some fruit. I would like to take a good Protein powder with me when I travel for an extra measure of protection.
    "You put a baby in a crib with an apple and a rabbit. If it eats the rabbit and plays with the apple, I'll buy you a new car". (Harvey Diamond)

From what I've read, some of the best protein comes from hemp. I tried a hemp protein powder a while back, had to be kept in the fridge as it was basically ground plant matter. My only issue with it is that it tasted a bit grassy, but I think it would work well in a thick protein shake, maybe with a banana or 2.

On top of the protein, hemp also has quite a few other great nutrients. I have also heard of pea protein, all though I haven't tried that one. I believe there's also a rice protein powder.

If you check these, I would remember to focus on the pea and rice powders if you want an easy to mix thing, like just mixing it with some almond milk. If you don't mind a thicker shake, throwing in some bananas or something, the hemp one will probably not bug you taste and texture wise.
    Last edited by Cacique; Sep 29th, 2012 at 08:42 PM. Reason: typo

Thanks Cacique! I would probably forgo the taste in favor of a little grassy flavor if it means that I get better nutrition. I was online this morning and thus far the best I can find is Sunwarrior, which makes a vegan brown rice formula protein powder. I called our local whole food coop and will probably drop by tomorrow and pick up a few packets to try it. Hmmm... might even add some hemp powder for an extra shot! Was thinking too that I should pre measure some mini bags of mixed nuts to take with me on my trips for those times when I can't find a good restaurant.

I think I'm good with this solution and I bet my labs will be improved next visit!

I use a pea protein powder on occasion. Like you I have to stay away from soy for medical reasons. I exercise a lot and there have been periods of time when I seem to strain muscles more so adding the extra protein helps. This is the brand I use:
    http://www.sourcenaturals.com/products/GP2258/

It is not chalky at all, but it does have a slight beany flavor to it. I use it in green smoothies with fruit added and it thickens the smoothie nicely. The other stuff in the smoothie masks the beany taste. I suspect if you just added it to almond milk it would taste a bit off though. I have also made chickpea flour omelettes and added the pea protein to the flour mix. Or add it in a homemade soup or bread.

These are other brands I have had success with:

Rice protein
    http://www.vitacost.com/nutribiotic-...FYQ7MgodtiMAOA
    A little chaulky but mixed in with smoothies it's pretty good.

Hemp Protein
    http://www.amazon.com/Living-Harvest.../dp/B000E23VXW
    The color is offputing but it doesnt taste bad at all.

Thanks!! Have never tried a chickpea flour omelet... care to share the recipe with the pea powder? I'd like to try that! One of the things I've missed since becoming vegan is my omelets and since I don't eat soy either, I can't even do the tofu scramble! I would kill for a good vegan omelet recipe!!

Quote jennyfedei View Post
    Thanks!! Have never tried a chickpea flour omelet... care to share the recipe with the pea powder? I'd like to try that! One of the things I've missed since becoming vegan is my omelets and since I don't eat soy either, I can't even do the tofu scramble! I would kill for a good vegan omelet recipe!!
    Here is just one of thousands of versions of the chickpea flour omelette:

http://triumphwellness.com/chickpea-flour-omelette/

When I make mine for just one person, I measure 1/2 cup of chickpea (besan) flour in a bowl. I add the protein powder in too. I then add spices like cumin, turmeric, black pepper, mustard powder, whatever else sounds good. At this point you can add a little baking powder if you want your omelette fluffier or leave as is (you might want to heat up your skillet at this point too and add a little oil). Add 1/3 to 1/2 cup of water to the chickpea mix until you get a thick pancake like batter. In the meantime, chop up whatever vegetables you want to add to your omelette. I like to add tomato, onion, spinach, green pepper, mushroom. Set the veggies aside. Pour the batter into the skillet and let it cook about four or five minutes. When it sets and the top bubbles like a pancake, add your veggies on top of the pancake. You can also add salsa, nutritional yeast sauce, or another thick type of sauce here if you want. Fold the pancake over like an omelette and let it cook some more. My version is different than most where the veggies are added right into the flour before cooking.

Chickpea flour makes a great "egg" because of its savory flavor. And this dish really only takes about ten minutes to make. I have made it on weekday mornings when I am in a hurry. Its easy on the budget too as the flour will last a long time.