Thread: Fat Acceptance

Default Fat Acceptance

I've noticed in quite a few postings on this forum as well in that article written for COK regarding Turkeys on the Animal board, that it seems okay for veg*ns to bash people for being fat. That fat is such a negative quality that it goes along the same line as bastard, greedy, etc. I have just been ignoring these remarks found within posts but it has now gotten to the point that I need to express myself. I'm fat, very fat. And I'm vegan, have been a committed vegan for 2 1/2 years. Even when I was lacto-ovo veg (6 years) , I did not eat fast food. Nor do I sit on my ass and watch television while stuffing junk food down my throat. In fact, I gave up television completely last year. I just eat too much. I eat relatively healthy, loads of fruits, veg and whole grains but too much. Why is that such a horrible quality in someone? It doesn't change the type of person I am. There are several anorexics on this board. No one feels the need to make fun of those who are underweight or assign negative personality traits to them because they battled with anorexia. Why is it okay to make fun of me because I battle with over-eating?

Felt the need to rant. I'm not the most politically correct person but I do think people need to think about things once in awhile.

ConsciousCuisine

You are right, Feline. I have seen the same thing and I am sensitive to it as well. It is nearly considered a "crime" to be larger it seems. It is an unfair judgement others hold against larger persons. There have been times when I have been heavier and thought that people when looking at me must think that I sit around and eat Big Macs all day, when in reality, I am (and have been for most of my life) a very healthy eater. The judgement and negativity against "people of size" is unfair and wrong.

I am one of those people on the board who have anorexia, and I hope that I have not contributed to the fat bashing. I think because anorexia is classed as an illness, is why I guess, we get more respect and I am very sorry for that. My apologies feline - I really feel awful. I think it is wrong for anyone to be discriminated against - fat/skinny, short/tall, black/white. I want everyone to feel comfortable here.

I don't recall seeing anyone made fun of or any type of body made fun of, but I am very sorry it happened.

Feleni,
    I'm also a big woman, 189 pounds, wearing sizes 16 and 18. For a long time I thought I should lose weight but it seems my weight is set. When I became a vegan in Aug. I quickly dropped 10 pounds. No more weight loss. I guess my body has found its right place. I get irritated when people think I became a vegan to lose weight and then go on to tell me chicken is low in fat.
    I'm reading Fat!So"? by Marilyn Wann. She has helped me see that there is no one right weight.
    My sister has a prejudice against bigger people. It's funny when her own weight climbs from time to time ;-)
    Andie

ConsciousCuisine

Quote Artichoke47
    I don't recall seeing anyone made fun of or any type of body made fun of, but I am very sorry it happened.
    There have been several postings from men and women, making disparaging remarks towards and about large people. Personally, the comments I made earlier were more specifically in reference to how society at large views larger than thin people...

No one feels the need to make fun of those who are underweight or assign negative personality traits to them because they battled with anorexia. Why is it okay to make fun of me because I battle with over-eating?
    I haven't seen the threads in question but I agree that this is not OK at all. I think a lot of people, whatever their size, have a difficult relationship with food, and perhaps it makes them feel better to treat people who don't match some norm for body size as scapegoats - but that's no excuse

There haven't been specific threads regarding fat people, it's just been comments made by members when responding in a thread. And I was really saddened by the COK article because the author, who had gone undercover at a turkey farm, always referred to the employees by their size like you'd have to be fat in order to work in such a horrible place. Society does place so much emphasis on being thin and yet so many Americans are overweight. It doesn't help that even on a vegan forum, people feel it's perfectly acceptable to criticize us.

Quote Artichoke47
    Me neither. But thank you feline01 for sharing your feelings with everyone here.
    Eve

Geoff

I'm guilty of using the phrase 'fat bastards' in reference to people parking in spaces reserved for the handicapped. I had one person in mind particularly who is overweight, ugly, a criminal and a drug dealer.
    I apologise for any offence to anyone on the forum.
    (The word 'bastard' has no weight in Aus and is also used in an affectionate way)
    BTW, I have the misfortune to be a short, bald, old, fat bastard!

PinkFluffyCloud

Geoffrey - what a way to describe yourself!!
    I wouldn't say you were fat, anyway..................

PinkFluffyCloud

Also, to anyone else, it does annoy me when people assume that weight/size/shape could possibly be linked with intelligence, and I am sorry to hear that Feline has been made to feel uncomfortable.

Awww, everyone here is so sweet. I always guessed that vegans were generally nicer human beings (good karma ). I was never that upset, it was something that was just getting on my nerves. I thank everone for thinking about my feelings.

And Geoff, I'm sure you're not that short, bald, old and fat - you probably look like a very distinguished mature man .

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote feline01
    Awww, everyone here is so sweet. I always guessed that vegans were generally nicer human beings (good karma ). I was never that upset, it was something that was just getting on my nerves. I thank everone for thinking about my feelings.

And Geoff, I'm sure you're not that short, bald, old and fat - you probably look like a very distinguished mature man .

Just wanted to put you straight, Feline - Geoff may be old but is not atall mature!! TeeHee!

I was also extremely overweight at one time in my life and I do understand what you say about everyone seeming to think that you only have fat in between your ears!

You're lovely anyway feline

Aurora xx

Geoff

Quote feline01
    you probably look like a very distinguished mature man .
    More EXtinguished than DIStinguished!

im definiately not skinny. people always call me jessica rabbit because of my curves and red hair, but im always worried people think "why isnt she thinner if shes vegan"?
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote foxytina_69
    im definiately not skinny. people always call me jessica rabbit because of my curves and red hair, but im always worried people think "why isnt she thinner if shes vegan"?
    Don't worry, you're just breaking their sterotypical image that vegan = skinny, ill, weak.

Quote foxytina_69
    "why isnt she thinner if shes vegan"?
    I think you are HOT foxytina
    By the way, who is Jessica Rabbit???

Quote Banana
    I think you are HOT foxytina
    By the way, who is Jessica Rabbit???
    You will find Jessica here. I think the character appeared in the movie, Who framed Roger Rabbit?

omg she is sooooooo pritty!
    If i cant kill it i WONT eat it, If i cant look into its eyes and hurt it, I wont take from it.

There is a great film called 'Shallow Hal' which for me sums up my feelings on the subject.
    If you can pinch an inch your linched.

Quote gothic_ana
    omg she is sooooooo pritty!
    No way do tits like that exist. Not in my experience anyway. lol.

I have to try harder it seems

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote UKVEGAN

HeHe, me too!

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    Just wanted to put you straight, Feline - Geoff may be old but is not atall mature!! TeeHee!

Hey.....no age bashing either....I'm "old" and I resent the age discrimination (lol).

Quote PinkFluffyCloud
    HeHe, me too!
    I thought women had to eat more for bigger boobs? Defeats the purpose?

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote cowpie
    Hey.....no age bashing either....I'm "old" and I resent the age discrimination (lol).
    Cowpie - I am no age-basher - just ask Geoff, I'm a complete sucker for an older man, they are sooo naughty, aren't they?

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote UKVEGAN
    What, you mean defeats the purpose if you have no waist under the boobs?

Quote UKVEGAN
    No, most woman who want those boobs just order them from their local plastic surgeon. Some of us more robust ladies are just blessed with them .

I at one time was alot heavier than I am now and although I havent made any comments on here about fat people I do other times. Sometimes I dont have the compassion that I should for other people. I sometimes assume that just cause I was fat from sitting on my ass and eating anything I wanted that everyone is fat for that reason. I am glad that you brought this subject up and I am going to try and be more mindful of others.(I must point out I have never said anything or treated fat people diffrently but I do have the most horrid thoughts sometimes about them)

BTW I am glad I have small boobs, it is much more comfortable to be active with small ones, it helps Im not on the market though, then I might feel diffrently(i.e. less secure.lol)

Quote cowpie
    Older men are so grateful
    Eve

PinkFluffyCloud

Quote eve
    Older men are so grateful
    Is that what it is, Eve???????
    Haha, I know some real ungrateful old buggers!

Geoff

A couple of good 'fat acceptance' movies are 'Sugar Baby' and 'Bagdad Cafe,' both starring Marianne Sagebrecht.

Quote Geoff
    A couple of good 'fat acceptance' movies are 'Sugar Baby' and 'Bagdad Cafe,' both starring Marianne Sagebrecht.
    I love that actress and those movies, she is an inspiration to us larger women . I should check out www.imdb.com to see what other flicks she's been in.

Quote UKVEGAN

i wouldnt be so sure LOL. my boobs are double d and im only 5'1. alot of people have asked me if they were fake apparently its one of my greatest features!
    "you dont have to be tall to see the moon" - african proverb

Quote foxytina_69
    i wouldnt be so sure LOL. my boobs are double d and im only 5'1. alot of people have asked me if they were fake apparently its one of my greatest features!
    The size of my boobs makes people think I am even bigger than I am! (although I have been quite big in the past...currently losing a lot of weight without really trying?!?!) so I hear you on that.
    And I live in an army town!

But yeah...I feel the sensitivity to the stereotype that all vegans are skinny...and that all people with ED are skinny...I am both vegan and have an ED and I am still overweight. At my largest weighed about 235! (ovo-lacto then) and my largest since Vegan was 190. However, i think the occurance of obesity in the USA is what makes people get so negative about being big. It truely is a problem...however if you are healthy and big...that's not a problem. I think it is better we look at WHY someone is overwieght and not just that they are. My father is overweight cause he is lazy, eats junkfood and thinks Atkins will fix it if he needs to. My uncle is overweight cause of genetics. He's tried every diet known to man (and is too big to workout)
    Lots of factors here...so yea...

my two cents!

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend

Congratulations on the weight loss, Mel. I read your other post about eating the nuts daily and still losing the weight. Fantastic. I used to feel guilty about eating a handful of nuts but then I'd have a piece of cake. Duh.

I think most of the obesity in the US is a direct result of overeating and lack of exercise! Our portion sizes are enormous compared to most other countries, we don't walk anywhere and eat all sorts of processed crap.

I haven't lost any weight recently but I am feeling so much better about myself since starting back at the gym in December. I exercise at least 5 days a week and hope to increase that to 7 days.

Geoff

Quote feline01
    I love that actress and those movies, she is an inspiration to us larger women . I should check out www.imdb.com to see what other flicks she's been in.
    I just KNEW that you'd like those two. I think I'll buy the Bagdad Cafe DVD as it's a film I could watch repeatedly. Jack Palance is brilliant too and the music!

Quote Geoff
    I just KNEW that you'd like those two. I think I'll buy the Bagdad Cafe DVD as it's a film I could watch repeatedly. Jack Palance is brilliant too and the music!
    I think I mentioned before, I bought the soundtrack for that movie years ago, it's now a well-worn cassette that has seen better days. Think it's about 15 years old+ now. That was the first movie I ever saw Jack Palance in and thought he was great. I guess some old guys can be pretty studly, is he your idol Geoff?

Geoff

No, mate. I'm HIS idol!

AND THEN...
    there are shows like "the biggest loser"
    sometimes I hate this country...a show about obese people losing weight through exercise and diet with McDonalds commercials in the middle.

gjsdaklghklavhafkl

~Mel
    ~Mel

"Sweet songs the youth, the wise, the meaning of all wisdom...to believe in the good in man" - Legend