While I think there is no harm to human health caused by consuming soy products in moderation, including tofu and soy milk, I have serious reservations about buying commercially produced soy milk and tofu, due to the fact that the commercial producers derive a substantial part of their revenues, by selling the soy solids to animal feed manufacturers, who then sell almost all of their production to animal farms. If I want to use these products, I feel it is important to grow the soy beans myself, something which I have years of experience doing, but cannot do now due to not having land.

Soy beans are actually very easy to grow, and I challenge vegans (and ethical and esthetic vegetarians) to find an alternative business model whereby soy milk and tofu producers can maintain a viable business, without resorting to selling the solids to animal feed producers. One possibility include simply composting the solids for use in improving farm soil, for growing other crops. Others include using the solids in various human foods.

The same problem exists for soy soil. Most of the leftover is made into animal feed. Only a small part is sold for human consumption (in the form of non-fat soy protein things)

It is high time that the "vegan community" had their own vegan food production so that vegans who work in industry do not have to face these serious dilemmas when deciding to purchase food from companies owned by non-vegans. By buying vegan from from vegan-owned and operated businesses, we multiply the effect of buying vegan food, every time we do so. I believe this is the key to making the vegan minority in industrialized countries, into a substantial minority percentage of the population of these countries, instead of than a very miniscule minority, as we are now.

Rather than going along year after year trying to help animals by simply avoiding buying animal products, it is high time we organized and tried to exert some economic clout.

Short explanation of soy milk production: You soak soybeans. You grind them up. You cook them in water. The water becomes soy milk. You drain and centrifuge the solids to extract any soy milk sticking to it. You then have a modest amount of soy milk, plus a large amount of solids that you must either sell, make into something else, compost, or whatever. Tofu is simply soy milk that has been coagulated, and then has had some of the water pressed out of it.