Thread: Best vegan cheese for Pizza?

heat13

Default Best vegan cheese for Pizza?

Does anyone know which cheese will be best on vegan pizza? I usually do a veggie pizza and a specialty like Hawaiin or BBQ "Chicken" or something with "meat" on it for the hubby (I make my own dough so I just make a double batch). I have finally perfected my whole wheat (or spelt flour) pizza dough, have a delicious homemade sauce, but I still need a good cheese. I like Follow your heart brand mozzerella but it isn't perfect. Pizza was always my favorite food when I was omni (not that I would ever eat it again with regular cheese, but I would like to replicate a tastey one

Default Re: Best vegan cheese for Pizza?

I heard good results with people using Teese cheese. I haven't used it yet as I can't get in local shops here.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Follow Your Heart brand mozarella melts nicely and has a good flavor. Just use up the whole package in 1-2 days after opening because it doesn't keep longer than that. A lot of people think it only tastes good melted, but I like it melted or right out of the package.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Quote rantipole View Post
    Follow Your Heart brand mozarella melts nicely and has a good flavor. Just use up the whole package in 1-2 days after opening because it doesn't keep longer than that. A lot of people think it only tastes good melted, but I like it melted or right out of the package.

Cheers,
    rant

Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet is by far the best. And I agree about eating it straight from the package! The monty jack is my favorite. They also make mozarella, cheddar, and nacho flavors!

heat13

Quote Christoph83 View Post
    Follow Your Heart Vegan Gourmet is by far the best. And I agree about eating it straight from the package! The monty jack is my favorite. They also make mozarella, cheddar, and nacho flavors!
    I love the Jack flavor too- and I acutally like it a lot better straight from the package then melted haha I haven't been able to get it to melt very well. Maybe I need to turn my oven up.
    Thanks, I will have to keep an eye out for that "Teese" too- haven't seen that anywhere yet.

I recently picked up some VeganRella at a whole foods store around me, and I've been using that to melt. The only downside is that it gets sort of a skin on it when it melts. If you have other things on the pizza it shouldn't bother you though.

If you can get your hands on Teese, it is out of this world (IMHO). Way better than FYH Vegan Gourmet (though I quite like that one too). It was sort of frighteningly cheesy. It does get positively molten, so you have to let it cool for a bit before solidifying.
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

heat13

Quote ALexiconofLove View Post
    If you can get your hands on Teese, it is out of this world (IMHO). Way better than FYH Vegan Gourmet (though I quite like that one too). It was sort of frighteningly cheesy. It does get positively molten, so you have to let it cool for a bit before solidifying.
    Hmm, would really like to try this TEESE
    I can get Follow Your Heart at Whole Foods but I haven't seen Teese anywhere! Thanks so much for the tip! I will be on the look out

It's made in Chicago, and I'm in Indianapolis, so it may just be a regional thing? You can order it online, but who wants to do that!
    "Lovers, givers, what minds have we made/ that make us hate/ a slaughterhouse for torturing a river?" ==AF

I'd love to try that Teese too. Favourable ones for me, being in the UK, are cheezly mozarella and toffutti slices.
    Other than that the best one I've ever had was Keehse

FYH was vile though.

Did you eat FYH solid, raw, unmelted? It's pretty icky that way, but not too bad melted (I've fed it to omnivores without too many complaints).

I've only ever had it melted, when I was in NYC. It was greasy, salty...ew.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    It was greasy, salty...ew.
    Surely greasiness and saltiness are good (yummy) qualities in anything you care to put into your mouth (no jokes please ).

Quote Enchantress View Post
    Surely greasiness and saltiness are good (yummy) qualities in anything you care to put into your mouth (no jokes please ).
    I hate greasy food* and salty food*. This cheese just searated and was icky. I found a lot of the processed food over there to have too much salt. Boca Burgers had way too much salt (far more than Fry's and that's saying something!) as well.

(and of course, by "food", I mean cock).

But faux cheeses need to be salty!

Ew god no.

I always add extra salt to mine.

I have yet to find a vegan cheese that I like, but in my defense I've only ever eaten one type. It was good in my tofurkey sandwich but eating it plain was BLAH.
    It was mozzarella I think, in packaged slices. I think the package was purple. I can't remember the brand.
    Either this wallpaper goes, or I do.

RubyDuby

i add salt to mine too!

hey, cheese is salty and greasy... wouldn't it make sense that faux cheese should be as well???
    Each snowflake in an avalanche pleads not guilty.

A Cheeky Vegan

I have this cheese thou not sure if it is suitable for us vegans to eat. It has pasteurised milk in it? Its Vegetarian Society Approved. Premuim Mainland Quality Vegetarian Edam Cheese, ingredients are pasteurised milk, salt, culturess, enzyme (vegetable rennet)?

I have my kids who are 7,5,4 and 3 asking for pizza's at the moment and would really love to make them a pizza.

If it has milk in it then no, it's not vegan.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote puressence View Post
    ingredients are pasteurised milk, salt, culturess, enzyme (vegetable rennet)?

I feel a bit shocked someone would ask this but whatever...generally if it had milk in an it was vegan wouldn't they put "soya alternative to milk" or something?
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

A Cheeky Vegan

I know stupid question,after I realised what I had emailed I was going to come back to website and delete it, I got sidetracked and realised it was too late to do so.

RubyDuby

what u want is vegan society approved... not vegetarian.

Excellent thread as I am cooking vegan pizza for tea tomo! Yum Yum! Think I will use cheezly if I can pick some up at shop tomo.

I planned on making a vegan pizza this weekend with the Follow Your Heart cheese but I couldnt find a vegan pizza base to use. Good to know I found the cheese for future use, though.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

RubyDuby

use a whole ww pita bread round.
    or any type of bread really, from tortilla to french bread.

I pizza.

Well, I wanted to make it for both my omni dad and I, so tried to make it look like a normal pizza and see if he would say anything. Its okay, we ended up going out to get Japanese food instead. And I think since I've a slightly bigger selection up here at school, I might find one here.

Thanks Rubes. I might make the pita ones for friends next time they come over.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

I've heard a rumour on the grapevine that superior vegan pizza cheese can be made by blending hard but meltable vegan cheese with vegan cream cheese and a little olive oil. I've yet to confirm or deny this through personal experience though.
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

RubyDuby

def sounds worth a try!!

heat13

Quote MarkAnthony View Post
    I've heard a rumour on the grapevine that superior vegan pizza cheese can be made by blending hard but meltable vegan cheese with vegan cream cheese and a little olive oil. I've yet to confirm or deny this through personal experience though.
    That sounds good! I will def give it a try

I've found that turning my oven up higher at the end of baking time, melts the Follow Your Heart cheese better.