Thread: disturbed by 4-H

journey

Default disturbed by 4-H

I've been disturbed lately by 4-H (American kids club). Just found out some of the clubs in our area have farmed animal projects, livestock sales and gun/hunting clubs for children. Really makes me angry.

My issue though is: at work, we're partnering with a non-gun, non-animal 4-H club (not really my choice, just what I have to do). They do a lot of other things that are good for kids (character education, responsibility, non-farming skills and activities), which is what we'll have to be working with the kids on, but still even though I won't have to do anything with guns or animals, it still annoys me to have to be associated with / supporting an organization that does and that is so farming promotion based. Any thoughts?

Default Re: disturbed by 4-H

Yeah, it sucks. Brainwashes kids. My little brother went through it. aggravates me to no end.
    Visit: abolitionistapproach.com, peaceopie.com, bostonvegan.org, and vegandocumentary.com

Better to be on the inside and subversive to those little minds, eh?

Good luck with the mentoring or however the project works!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

journey

Yeah, not happy about it, but like Pat says, maybe I can have some good influence from the inside.

they also raise farm animals to turn around and have them auctioned off, and the kids know they are going to be used for food and they are so matter a fact about it...kinda creepy if you ask me.

I was in 4 H when I was younger, I did a topyary class, and planted Rosemary...and I did candy making...nothing with animals though, I wanted a goat....I woulda named him FRED!!!

But ya...4 H builds character and a lot of other good quatlities but I am not particularly found of the farming aspect of it, but its tradition amognst other things.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

journey

I was in 4-H as a kid too - the only kids activity in our rural area. But we didn't do any animal projects, just stuff like forestry, sewing, cooking, gardening, public speaking, etc.

I think a big part of the purpose of 4-H was to get kids into that culture of being accepting that you raise an animal and then it gets sold and butchered, sort of indoctrinating them into that lifestyle through a club that seems so Mom and apple pie and American that you're not supposed to question that they would promote such turning your head away in the face of slaughter of an animal you cared for. Sick. Luckily my parents knew better than to get me involved in that aspect of it.