Thread: Millenium Restaurant, San Francisco

Default Millenium Restaurant, San Francisco

I'll be out in San Francisco in June to be with Amma at her ashram, but wanted to try out this restaurant in San Fran while I'm there! Is it worth all the hoop-lah and the price?? Or should I skip it and find a whole in the wall vegan restaurant?
    Best meal I've ever had! It was also the most expensive, but it was utterly delicious. I fantasize about going there again.

There are plenty of vegan options in San Fran. This is probably the best, but you will be able to find something very good for less mulah.

Cheers,
    rant
    "Luminous beings are we, not this crude matter." --Yoda

Default Re: Millenium Restaurant, San Francisco

I went there once, several years ago. I agree the food is very good, though not necessarily better than, say, The Gate in London. (I think Millennium is completely vegan though, which The Gate isn't.)

Personally I'm not 100% comfortable in that sort of place as there was a bit too much fussing over wine and so forth for my tastes; I prefer somewhere less formal. But if you like to dress up and have tablecloths, it's the place to go!

I also liked Greens, which I went to even longer ago - is that still going?

Greens is here: http://www.greensrestaurant.com/ - but I would get a more recent opinion as it's really ages since I've been there.

Sorry I mentioned The Gate in London - probably not much use to you, I mistakenly thought you were in Birmingham UK

No, and I don't remember going anywhere apart from Millennium that was 100% vegan, but there seem to be a good few now if this is right:

http://www.bayareaveg.org/ug/index.h...1&veg=1&sort=4

Millennium is 4 blocks from where I live and I tend to stare sadly into the windows whenever I pass it, occasionally garnering a cross glance from the staff. It is worth the money, the hoop-lah, the hype, and a trip. If I won the lottery, I'd eat there a couple times a week and/or kidnap/hire their head chef. (His choice!) After I go, I can't get it out of my head!

I never drink wine, either. (It tastes like grape juice gone bad... Or vinegar gone good.) Try the China Cola if you haven't. Sure they overcharge for it, but if you're forking over $100-$120 for a meal for two (appetizer, meal, dessert), why not go all out?
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

im in love with herbivore...

http://www.herbivorerestaurant.com/

but when i want to go out in STYLE i go to millenium.

i agree. it is worth the hula hoops
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Thanks JJ. I've got herbivore saved in my favourites for vacation later this year.

So I'm not really a dress up kind of person. Do you have to get dressed up fancy for Millenium?

Quote Roxy View Post
    Thanks JJ. I've got herbivore saved in my favourites for vacation later this year.

So I'm not really a dress up kind of person. Do you have to get dressed up fancy for Millenium?
    Me too Roxy! Maybe we could go to Herbivore or Millenium for the meet up with JJdaiquiri and Vegcurry - and any other people in SF?
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

Quote Holly78 View Post
    Me too Roxy! Maybe we could go to Herbivore or Millenium for the meet up with JJdaiquiri and Vegcurry - and any other people in SF?
    If you guys all meet up in SF for dinner, I'll be there. I'm only 45 minutes south by car.
    Do the Vegan Boogie!!

Herbivore looks really good, I think - plus it gives us more of an option because they're open during the day whereas Millenium is only open at night. (And I don't have to get dressed up lol).

Bugaboo - come with us! Will you back there in Sunnyvale in September?

Yes - come with us Bugaboo! (I love your avatar BTW.) I plan to go to all the vegan restaurants whilst I am in SF!
    "Only after the last tree has been cut down,the last fish caught [and] the last river poisoned;only then will you realise that money cannot be eaten"

I just got back from California. The last few days were in SF and we went to Millenium. It was brilliant, best meal out ever. It was the only vegan restaurant i have been to (is there another?) so nothing to compare it to. I liked that all the drinks were vegan as well. I didn't go to any other veggie restaurants in SF as I was travelling with two veggies and one omni and couldn't be too bossy.
    We also had a fantastic meal in the veg. cafe in UKiah at the City of Ten Thousand Buddhas
    My experience in CA wasn't so good otherwise, I ended up having some vegetarian meals as there was no choice. Also I didn't feel I could quiz the servers about every last detail in the menu as although I started it soon became clear that most of the time they couldn't work out what I was on about and also my travelling companions would have soon got sick of me.

Soibeing

There's a tv program called "Check Please", where three regular people pick their favorite restaurant within the Bay Area and the other two will have to try it out and give a review. They did a show on Millenium Restaurant as well as Cafe Gratitude.

You can check out the reviews and videos here:

http://blogs.kqed.org/food/2007/10/0...nnium-reviews/

http://blogs.kqed.org/food/2006/09/2...itude-reviews/