Thread: Shared allotment in Birmingham

Default Shared allotment in Birmingham

I hope this is the right place to post this
    Now that I know that I'll be in Birmingham for at least 3 more years, I want to pursue an idea that I've been toying with for quite a while.
    I'm fed up with having to think twice about everything I buy, whether to go for organic or conventional, local or foreign produce, all those questions about what's ecologically the best are annoying me. Moreover, I'm a country girl at heart, I really miss the country and gardening.
    So I really want to get an allotment, but I already know that I'll be away for research purposes on a more or less regular basis. I was thinking of sharing an allotment with somebody. The idea is that we split the plot and each one of us can do their own thing, but we would help each other out with watering when one of us can't do it.
    I'm in the Edgbaston constituency, and for some of the plots there are waiting lists, so hopefully by the time I've found a "partner" it shouldn't be too long until we can get started. If any of you Brummies are interested, or if you know anybody who would be, please let me know.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

treaclemine

Default Re: Shared allotment in Birmingham

Sounds like a great idea!

I'm way over on the other side of town, but Birmingham Organic Gardeners meet over Edgbaston way, I think? There's lots of greenies in Moseley too. Birmingham LETS have started a new food initiative called Fork 2 Fork which might be a chance to link up with suitable people too?

Thanks for this information, that's really useful. I'll get in touch with those people.
    Anyway, if any of you are interested or know someone I'd love to hear from you.
    First it was necessary to civilize man in relation to man.
    Now it is necessary to civilize man in relation to nature and the animals.
    Victor Hugo

why not try and contact your local allotment growers/owners association. there may be a member willing to rent part of their allotment to you or you could work someones plot who is struggling, in return for produce?

is there a local paper you could put a really small cheap ad in? or even offer to work a veg plot in a garden for produce?