Thread: Going Raw... questions

Default Going Raw... questions

So I'm considering going raw, as I've mentioned in some other threads. I have done this once for about a month and it was GREAT. To be honest, I have NO idea why I returned to cooked foods...

Anyway, so I have some questions for you raw foodists out there:

Firstly, I am considering purchasing a juicer. So far, I think I'm going to go with a Champion juicer. Does anyone know if Champion juicers are the way to go, or if there's a different one I should go for? I used to have a Breville one, but had to give it back to my mother as it was rightfully hers. I can't seem to find any unbiased information on the internet.

Secondly, if going raw, is it vital to consume entirely organic food? Will the effects still be the same if some things aren't organic, but rather store bought produce?

I think that's all the questions I have for now.

Default Re: Going Raw... questions

Hello

Congrats on deciding to eat more raw foods again I'm not v.high raw at the moment, but I feel so much better when I eat lots of fresh fruit, a salad and a green smoothie each day.

I have a Breville juicer and I think it works fine. If you wanted to juice greens like grasses/herbs etc a Breville probably wouldn't work (I haven't tried) and a lot of ppl talk about Champions, I think they are good for juicing anything. But expensive?

Also, I think eating organic is much better for you, but having said that it's not always v.affordable and most of my fruit and veg is bought from a fruit shop that isn't organic.

Good luck

Thanks Kitteh I see you're from Australia too, it's cool to see some local people on here

I have another question... I have a Breville blender, and I was wondering whether blenders can get too hot in the motor and somehow destroy enzymes in food. That may sound extreme, but I'm just curious.

Also, how do you make your green smoothies?

EDIT: Just read the 'Green Smoothies & Juices' thread. Best thread I've seen so far. My blender is definitely getting a workout over the next few days. Doing a big fruit and veggie shop tomorrow

I agree, lovely to see another Aussie

Hmm I suppose blenders could get too hot, probably why it's good to pulse and then stop, pulse and then stop? But I think most should be able to make a smoothie without overheating.

I use a hand blender and it works so well.

hello jet city woman!

i am like kitteh and use a hand blender for my smoothies at the moment - it does the job fine and i like to use all of the fruit not losing any fibre which you do when juicing. (although you can always mix the pulp back into the juice!)

Thanks for all the help! I've been using my blender, but I might give my hand blender a whirl and see how that goes... it'll save a lot of washing up!

JC

i have quite a few questions about going raw, and i'm completely clueless, so i apologise if i sound patronising or ignorant... do you only eat raw fruit, veg, seeds and nuts? do soya products such as milk and yogurts count as cooked? what about breakfast cereals? and what are the health benefits of going raw? thanks in advance for any replies, and sorry for the barrage of questions!

I ate raw for the first time today, I'm giving it a week to see how I feel. Here's my understanding but someone else might know better.
    milks and yogurts aren't raw, neither are breakfast cereals. You can blend things like soups and smoothies and dehydrate things to make like crackers. There's a lot of ways to combine raw foods to make them like cooked things but I stick to more simple things like smoothies, whole fruits, and salads. The health benefits I've heard, are a lot. Just general better health in all aspects including increased energy, glowing skin, thicker hair and nails, immunity to getting sick, etc. People claim a lot of health problems are fixed after going raw from acne to cancer.
    What I'm in it for is I want to have a healthier relationship with food. I want to stop obsessing over it and overeating. I used to be overweight and I constantly think about food and what I'm going to eat next. Today was the first day in... I don't know, ever, that I didn't snack. I eat breakfast, I didn't think about food till lunch, then I didn't think about food till dinner, then I was satisfied for the day. It felt great!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

JC

thanks! so i take it dried fruits count as raw? i've started eating trek and nakd bars instead of my usual snacks, and something amazing has happened; usually i'll snack, even though i'm not hungry, then i'll get cravings afterwards because they were sugary and eat more of them. when i eat these raw bars, not only do they actually fill me up, i don't want anything after. i'm starting to see the (raw) light!

and btw, will sugary things such as raisins and agave nectar give you cravings?

I know, isn't it great! usually once I start snacking I can't stop for the life of me but now I feel under control. Dried fruits are raw. I don't think raisins and agave nectar give cravings, but I'm not sure. I really want to know too so if you find out let me know!
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

Not all dried fruits and nuts are raw. You'll have to check on the package. Raw food only includes foods cooked under 110 degrees I think.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Yeh and most dried fruits have had sulphur added to them. Best to dehydrate your own or eat fresh fruits. Some rawbies believe that nuts are only raw if you crack them yourself and eat them straight away, oh and they're best straight off the tree. But most of us don't have access to fresh nuts like that! I tend to buy nuts and pop them in the freezer.

JC

so frozen stuff is ok too? i love unsulphured dried apricots, but i don't know anywhere that sells them round here
    and what am i checking for on the packaging? if they contain added sugar? oh this is so confusing!

I don't know, I always bought my dried fruits from the bulk bins at the health food store so there are no labels. I'm hoping they're ok. I think frozen would be considered raw but fresh is much better. I'm sure someone will correct me though...

I'm been 100% raw for 3 days and I don't feel any different. I guess I was expecting to immediately feel more energetic or something but I feel sluggish and, well, bloated. By time I got out of work my pants felt SO tight. I do have less cravings though which is awesome. I think I'll finish a week and stop.

I dont think frozen foods are raw either. I could be wrong, though cause I've never checked.

Dia, I'm feeling the same way... I think its too much fruit for me. Do you think that could be it for you too?

JC

well in that case i don't think i'm going to go 100% raw. just up the intake

I don't know but I felt that way when I went Vegan (being bloated). Then it passed after like a month and a half. I guess when I became vegan I eat more fruits and veggies and now I'm eating even MORE fruits and veggies. I think I'd adjust to it.
    The tired thing may not have anything to do with food. I just started my new internship so I'm on a new schedule. It's just that from what I've read I thought I'd be like superwoman.
    Other problems for me are:
    1) I'm not a fan of raw veggies
    2) I don't have dehydrator and miss crunchy things
    3) I don't have a spouter or juicer so I'm not able to make the recipes
    4) It's even hard socially then just being vegan
    5) I really don't want to explain it to my family and friends

veg is probably blanched in boiling water before freezing, so that won't be raw. fruit is not generally treated this way first so is fine.

dorax

If you want to see some inspiring videos, check this out http://www.raw-vegan.org/videos

They help me stay 100%!

JC

Quote DiaShel View Post
    1) I'm not a fan of raw veggies
    2) I don't have dehydrator and miss crunchy things
    3) I don't have a spouter or juicer so I'm not able to make the recipes
    4) It's even hard socially then just being vegan
    5) I really don't want to explain it to my family and friends
    That's a really good summary!!
    But, i think if you can learn how to properly prepare raw vegetables, you would like them alot better. If you really got into the lifestyle, i'm sure dehyrators and juicers would be a good investment. And you don't have to explain to your family and friends (unless they make your food for you, in which case you would lol)

Btw, does anyone know how you make courgette 'noodles'? And nutritional yeast is raw, right? And canned chopped tomatoes?
    Last edited by JC; Jun 5th, 2008 at 10:53 PM. Reason: Btw, does anyone know how you make courgette 'noodles'?

nurtitional yeast is definately not raw. but for some reason it is in a lot of raw recipies, same with honey watch out for it.

you can make noodles by just using a veggie pealer and then cuting the strips in half, or using a spiral cutter thingy...

Oh and some frozen veggies are raw, you just have to reasearch.
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

I think friends and family are going to notice when we eat today. Also, my birthday is on Sunday and everyone is going to want to take me to eat or make a cake. I'd feel horrible is someone went through the trouble to make me a vegan cake and I didn't eat it!

Well, it's 4 days finished and I'm moody and headachy. Anyone go through this? I know there is a "detox" period but for how long?

Dia, sorry youre feeling bad (and I haven't gotten around to pm-ing you!). I think detox takes longer for some people than others. I've heard it can take up to a month. That's probably for SAD diets. I think mine takes about 4-8 days since I'm vegan and dont eat much processed food other htan canned beans and occasional soy. I hope you can stick with the raw thing today. But dont worry too much, I'd rather take it slow and not become one of the fanatical raw foodies I see online.

Also, for the question on the past page, frozen and canned foods are not raw.

Dear Rawfoods Enthusiasts,

I would like to say a few things in reply to what y'all have written.
    I have been raw previously, strictly, for 3 months, and after that I have done various percentages of raw...
    70-80% feels pretty good for me (who has a Vata body type- per Ayurveda).
    I will reply as "Khy'em" below. Peace!

Jet City Woman:

Does anyone know if Champion juicers are the way to go, or if there's a different one I should go for?

if going raw, is it vital to consume entirely organic food? Will the effects still be the same if some things aren't organic, but rather store bought produce?

I have a Breville blender, and I was wondering whether blenders can get too hot in the motor and somehow destroy enzymes in food. That may sound extreme, but I'm just curious.

Also, how do you make your green smoothies?

Khy'em:
    Champions rock! Strong and stable juicer. Pretty easy to clean...and able to even make raw soups and nut-butters (with the nuts you have to avoid over-heating.)
    Organic is best. You will begin to be able to sense pesticides...but 'conventional' raw foods still have enzymes which is the most critical - but organic ha been shown to taste better and be higher in vitamins. If it is hot to the touch it is getting into the range of enzyme destruction - 118 degrees is when most enzymes are lost. Use Nature's First Law Green Powder if you can afford, or simply add your green stuff to some fresh juice, and fresh fruit (apple, banana, peach, cherry, etc.)

JC:
    do you only eat raw fruit, veg, seeds and nuts? do soya products such as milk and yogurts count as cooked? what about breakfast cereals? and what are the health benefits of going raw? will sugary things such as raisins and agave nectar give you cravings? so frozen stuff is ok too? i love unsulphured dried apricots, but i don't know anywhere that sells them round here
    and what am i checking for on the packaging? if they contain added sugar?
    And nutritional yeast is raw, right? And canned chopped tomatoes?

Khy'em:
    You eat what you mention, but you can also make "any texture and any flavor" raw.
    Check out a Gourmet Rawfoods book such as Juliano's, or "Raw Food, Real World", or "Raw", or "Hooked on Raw." You will be pleasantly surprised. Soy milk must be cooked because it is a bean. You can make raw nut milks and "cheeses" and perhaps a "yogurt". Soybella is a great machine for making soymilk and raw nutmilks. You use the nut-pulp for nut-cheeses. It is possible to make raw cereal with a dehydrator...soaking buckwheat and then dehydrating is a good place to start. Your body needs sugar. Your brain runs on sugar. If you are craving sugar, try eating a piece of fruit. If you are craving it - you probably need something that it has, or it is masquerading as something you actually need. Agave nectar is low glycemic and very tasty. Raisins could be called "a perfect food". Try eating a few raw almonds with them to give you a more balanced and filling meal. Frozen is not raw. But it is better than cooked, only 30-40% of the enzymes will be destroyed by freezing (if I recall). Order some unsulph-apricots from the internet. Message me if you would like help finding a shop. Check the package for Sulphur Dioxide - try to avoid this preservative, it will make you feel "ill". Cranberries should be the only dried fruit with added sugar. Nutritional yeast has been cooked, and it may not even be vegan, considering the yeasties die to bring you their "nutrition". Canned food is always cooked. Raw foods are fresh, living foods and will spoil if left in a can. Cooking food gives it shelf life.

DiaShel:
    milks and yogurts aren't raw, neither are breakfast cereals.
    so i take it dried fruits count as raw?
    I don't know, I always bought my dried fruits from the bulk bins at the health food store so there are no labels. I'm hoping they're ok. I think frozen would be considered raw but fresh is much better. I'm sure someone will correct me though...
    I'm been 100% raw for 3 days and I don't feel any different. I guess I was expecting to immediately feel more energetic or something but I feel sluggish and, well, bloated.

Khy'em:
    Raw nut milks can be made. Google "how to make raw nut milk".
    Dry fruits count as raw, unless you are being very strict. During my three months of strict raw foods...I stopped eating dried mission figs, etc...because I found out that they are dried at temp's of 180 degrees....most dry fruits fall in that range, hence have been a bit cooked. They may be a good way for you to start though, most people aren't trying for 100%-Strict. Again, freezing is not raw; fresh is best.
    Do you normally feel sluggish and bloated, or is that different? Most people expect energy but go through "a cleansing reaction". Check out Sunfood Diet Success System by David Wolfe and Mucusless Diet Healing System by Arnold Ehret and Conscious Eating by Gabriel Cousens, MD.

ellaminnowpea:
    Not all dried fruits and nuts are raw. You'll have to check on the package. Raw food only includes foods cooked under 110 degrees I think.

Khy'em:
    True. Many nuts are steamed out of their shells. Getting almonds and other nuts in the shell assures that they are raw. Go straight to the farmer if possible. Dry fruits tend to be dried at temps beyond 'raw'. 110 is a safety net. A couple enzymes are destroyed there, but if you dehydrate at 110-115 you are still assuring yourself that the temp doesn't slip over 118 where major enzyme loss occurs.

Excalibur dehydrators are the standard among raw-foodist. We use two for our bakeshop and they work fantastic. You can adjust the temp easily and they dry evenly. We enjoy making flax crackers with fresh herbs and veggies...they give you that crunchy-bite and make raw foods more interesting. There is a lot to be said for the healing power of rawfoods.
    You might also consider reading "Nature's First Law, the Raw Food Diet" by David Wolfe, etc.
    During my three months raw, my long time acne vanished and never returned - and the girl in Health and Body at the Co-op here in Sacramento even commented: "what are you doing for your face?" (she suffered similar speckles of red on the cheeks) - I said, I have been 100% for about two months now. That was about the time I found out that dry figs were "cooked"...so maybe i was 99%.

Drop me a line if you would like to ask a question...I have read the books which I mentioned and more. I look forward to hearing about your raw success.

Peace be with you.
    Khy'em Amri,
    The Sugar Plum Vegan Man.

Awesome thanks... Btw, you can use quotes to make it easier to readby clicking quote at the bottom of on the message youd like to quote and then typing your response below it.

JC

i have some more questions

* where do you buy steel cut oats from? i've looked eeevvvveeerywhere. when i asked the shop assistant (in the only independent health food shop in my area), she looked at me like i was stupid and told me that they had rolled oats which according to her 'aren't processed anyway, they're just rolled'. otherwise i was looking at hemp seeds.... she clearly didn't know what she was talking about!

* how do you make cooked-style foods? i was reading about a raw resaurant which blended things such as parsnips to make creamy sauces. i'm not creative enough to come up with things like that! in fact, does anyone know of any good raw cookbooks?

i did have another question but i can't remember it now

I really like "ani's raw food kitchen" by ani phyo. Her recipes aren't as hard as other raw books. She's got a lot of "cheeses" and cream sauce stuff but I haven't tried them out yet.
    I'm read both that steel cut oats are and aren't raw so I stopped using them. I use whole oat groats which I soak and then process with nuts and dates for an oatmeal. It's yummy.
    I've never used help seeds.

Hope that helped!

JC

so with the oat groats, would it be safe to just soak them overnight and eat them as they are in the morning, unprocessed? And what's the difference between steel-cut and jumbo oats?

Quote JC View Post
    so frozen stuff is ok too?
    I just freeze nuts and seeds to stop them going rancid.

Quote DiaShel View Post
    I really like "ani's raw food kitchen" by ani phyo. Her recipes aren't as hard as other raw books. She's got a lot of "cheeses" and cream sauce stuff but I haven't tried them out yet.
    Me too, I haven't ordered her books yet but I have made a few things off her website and so far, all good!
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

steel cut are raw (as far as i know??), jumbo are not.

I really recommend Kate Wood's book "Eat Smart Eat Raw" - not too many strange ingredients