Thread: Tesco get it very wrong on veggie nutrition

Default Tesco get it very wrong on veggie nutrition

This is quite outrageous (bolded below)– suggest some mass complaining

Info taken from Tesco diets
    http://www.tescodiets.com/b2b/msndie...rticle_id=1760

"Q. Is it okay for kids to follow a vegetarian diet?
    A. Some nutritionists believe it’s not a smart idea for kids to miss out on red meat because children require iron, zinc and copper and several essential amino acids found only in meats for normal growth and development. If you’re considering raising your kids as vegetarians, first speak to a paediatrician to ensure that you aren’t depriving them of essential nutrition and to find out about proper supplementation.
    "

Default Re: Tesco get it VERY wrong on veggie nutrition

Not surprising if you ask me - its only selling their 'products' in the end ..
    ETA: this reallly annoys me too:
    "Pesco-vegetarian Eats dairy, eggs, fish, but no other animal products."
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Honestly, what utter nonsense. You'd think that particular piece of misinformation would have put to bed years ago. I'll be getting in touch with them to point out their glaring error.

If I could boycott Tescos I would. But unfortuantly it's my only most conveniant supermarket where I live. The Netto and Farmfoods are s*** but closer.....but s***!
    There is a Unicorn but i don't know where it is and i might have to trvel too "far out man"! (pun)

Bah.

Since Tesco think it is a great idea to put saccharin in baked beans and label the things 'healthy living', they can shove any pretense of nutritional knowledge where the sun doesn't shine.

It doesn't suprise me that Tesco say that, but it is bloody frustrating - just feeding the argument for people who don't believe in a veggie diet.
    Think I will send a letter of complaint, with evidence that they are wrong, although they probably won't listen. That is just after I send my letter of complaint to Green and Blacks!

Quote Darky_ View Post
    If I could boycott Tescos I would. But unfortuantly it's my only most conveniant supermarket where I live. The Netto and Farmfoods are s*** but closer.....but s***!
    There is a Unicorn but i don't know where it is and i might have to trvel too "far out man"! (pun)

Bah.
    Unicorn is in Chorlton, and it's brilliant! I'm going to thoroughly miss it when I eventually leave Manchester.

http://www.unicorn-grocery.co.uk/

Eighth Day also have a mostly vegan selection (although the shop itself is vegetarian).

http://www.eighth-day.co.uk/
    There’s a statue that the abattoir erected to remind us all of their contributions. To me it marks Potemkin City Limits, this Francis cast in bronze.

Default Re: Tesco get it very wrong on veggie nutrition

what utter wankers. god, i hate tescos at the best of times.

disturbed

I don't think anyone should rely on Tesco to give accurate diet advice. Their aim is to sell and profit from the sale of meat (and other products and services) as much as possible, so they're hardly going to tell people to stop buying them/buy less. But I notice its been carefully worded not to give any opinion directly from Tesco.

Quote Darky
    You actually live quite close. You could get the no. 22 bus that goes through Salford and through Chorlton (the place Unicorn is in), or the no. 23 from the Trafford Centre, or go to Manc and get the 85 or 86 bus. The 86 goes straight past it. They're isn't many totally vegan supermarkets in the country so a visit is highly recommended!

I finally got a reply from Tesco. No apology for telling porkies though.

Thanks for the email. It is clarified further on in this article that as long as a vegetarian plan is carefully planned a child can follow it. As long as vegetarians eat a wide variety of foods they'll be able to get all the amino acids they need, meat contains complete sources of all the essential amino acids whereas a vegetarian will need complementary sources to ensure they are getting all the essential amino acids. Soya and quinoa are the only vegetarian sources of the complete mix of essential amino acids. (The complete mix is also found in meat, poultry, fish and eggs.) Vegans may need to take vitamin B12 supplements as it very difficult to obtain the correct RDA from non animal sources only but other than this vitamin the diet should be able to meet most other requirements even if you are vegetarian.
    You will find more information about reaching your RDA's through a healthy, balanced vegetarian diet by clicking this

http://www.eatwell.gov.uk/healthydiet/vegaveg/
    From Sutton, Surrey, (or Greater London when they want to fleece me for the Olympics)

I had a similar thing with a cookery class at the kids school - he came home with his homework about nutrition asking me how i could be vegan cos his teacher had said everyone needs meat and dairy. I wrote a letter to the teacher and put loads of info together (including a vegan nutrition chart) and the teacher did a whole vegan display in the classroom (i almost fell off my peg at her response! top teacher!) ... tescos, however, are the antichrist.... *sigh*

ps that episode was how i found out tat the meat and dairy council sponsor children's education! nice!

That has made me so mad

Question Re: Tesco get it very wrong on veggie nutrition

Quote Akala View Post
    I don't think anyone should rely on Tesco to give accurate diet advice. Their aim is to sell and profit from the sale of meat (and other products and services) as much as possible, so they're hardly going to tell people to stop buying them/buy less. But I notice its been carefully worded not to give any opinion directly from Tesco.

You actually live quite close. You could get the no. 22 bus that goes through Salford and through Chorlton (the place Unicorn is in), or the no. 23 from the Trafford Centre, or go to Manc and get the 85 or 86 bus. The 86 goes straight past it. They're isn't many totally vegan supermarkets in the country so a visit is highly recommended!
    Thanks, I needed that! But its still a little bit of a pain to do weekly shopping there. I think I would have to wait for about 3 or 4 buses to get there. I can only get a 68 or 36 or 37 from where I am.....68 is nearer my house (I mean the bus stop where I get the 68 and can only get the 68 is closer), and to get to salford precient or somewhere I can get a 22 would be at least an hour or over Pain in ass!

I mean apart from weekly shopping I will defiantly find a free weekend and go, at least!! Hehehe.
    Animals don't: Smoke, Drive, Wear Make-up, Use paint, Drink Alcohol, Drop bombs. Because we do, why should they suffer?

Quote Jiffy View Post
    Tesco said - Vegans may need to take vitamin B12 supplements as it very difficult to obtain the correct RDA from non animal sources only
    This coming from a supermarket that sells Chocolate So Good soya milk and Marmite. Honey, i've got B12 coming out of my ears!

It's the usual rubbish you hear time and time again . . . really is about time they did some actual unbiased research into the vegan/veggie diet.

"Thanks for the email. It is clarified further on in this article that as long as a vegetarian plan is carefully planned a child can follow it. As long as vegetarians eat a wide variety of foods they'll be able to get all the amino acids they need, meat contains complete sources of all the essential amino acids whereas a vegetarian will need complementary sources to ensure they are getting all the essential amino acids. Soya and quinoa are the only vegetarian sources of the complete mix of essential amino acids. (The complete mix is also found in meat, poultry, fish and eggs.) Vegans may need to take vitamin B12 supplements as it very difficult to obtain the correct RDA from non animal sources only but other than this vitamin the diet should be able to meet most other requirements even if you are vegetarian."

FORGET ABOUT NATURAL FOODS !! LET'S FEED THE KIDS NUTRIENT DEFICIENT FOODS!! LETS PAY MCDONALDS A VISIT...

GOSH! AMAZING WHAT MONEY CAN DO....

Tesco make a LOT of money from selling animal based-products. It is in their interests to continue doing this. I am therefore disinclined to listen to anything they have to say about nutrition.

I also just hate Tesco. It's a visceral reaction. It's stronger than me. They will not take me. I will RESIST!!!!
    ~ Don't think twice, it's all right ~

*live*&*let*live

Quote Darky_ View Post

Bah.
    Unicorn is great did you get there? Not the cheapest, but they do stock a good range. I went last week for the first time. I notice you are in Gt Mancs, are you in Bolton? If you need any info give me a shout