Thread: Emulsifier

exec

Default Emulsifier

I've always come across this 'Emulsifier' but have no ideas from what is it derived. What is it actually?

Default Re: Emulsifier

An emulsifier is something that binds otherwise uncombinable substances. If you try to mix oil and water they will remain separate, with little balls of oil sitting in the water, and so an emulsifier is needed to be able to combine them.

There are various emulsifiers used in food, and they can be derived from both plant and animal sources.

If you see 'emulsifier' listed on a label it is not an ingredient but a description of the purpose of an ingredient.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...

exec

How do I know if there is anything from animals? The emulsifier is written in Japanese (I'm in Japan now) and the literal translation of that Japanese word is emulsifier.

Could you contact the manufacturer to see where their emulsifier is derived from?

What are the other ingredients listed around it? Maybe we could recognize something as being the emulsifier to which it refers.

Otherwise your only option is as Bry says and to ask because on its own it is about as useful as if it simply "stuff" as an ingredient.

Michael.
    If you have a problem, if no one else can help, and if you can find me...