Thread: Vegan remedies for psoriasis?

Question Vegan remedies for psoriasis?

Hey Guys it’s me again about to annoy the world with my questions… Sowwy

Ok so heres the thing, I have really really REALLY bad psoriasis and before I was Vegan I used to use the ointment my doctor gave me and it cleared it right up. But obviously I haven’t used it since I turned vegan and hello my psoriasis has become a nightmare again.… Has anyone PLEASE got any vegan remedies for psoriasis as I can’t bare it any more, I even considered shaving my head to scrub it all off… hahaha
    Hope you can all help.

Itchy scalped Megyn

xxx

Default Re: Vegan remedies for psoriasis?

Hi Megyn - I'm sure your questions aren't annoying anyone, please ask away

I don't, I'm afraid, know anything about psoriasis - maybe you will hear from someone that does. It seems there are some ideas "out there" about helping it by adjusting your diet etc (e.g. more fruit and veg, maybe less wheat, and more omega-3 oils - flax oil etc in our case).

In the meantime if I were you I would go back to using the ointment - - sometimes you have to use non-vegan medicines to function and this sounds like one of those times.

Thank you for your reply

Hopefully someone will reply soon, but I'm going to take your advice and search the net to see if any diets can help before I go back to the ointment, its not life or death so I dont think ill go back to using it, ill just have to deal with it if there isnt any other animal safe way!!

*Searchs net for diet to help*

THAAAAAAAAANKKKKKKKKK YOUUUUUUU!!!

Does skin cream help at all? Superdrug does one and an anti-itch cream too.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Heya MM, I have psorasis and I use Lush's Dream Cream as an emolient cream to relieve the itching. Diet-wise I just try to drink alot of water, and make sure I'm gettig enough fatty acids and B-vitamins. Everyone has individual triggers so I'd say keep an eye in what you're eating when you get a flare-up. Stress is a trigger too, but there isn't much you can do about that besides just trying to relax. If you're bad enough that you need a steriod cream, use it.

Edit: just saw where you mentioned your scalp, I use Naked sensitive shampoo and conditioner which doesn't seem to aggravate my scalp psorasis. You can also massage olive oil or coconut oil into your scalp and leave it in for a while before washing to help ease the itchiness.
    Houmous atá ann!

Have you checked what the active ingredient is in that ointment? If the active ingredient is vegan but something else in the ointment isn't, maybe your pharmacy can get a hold of that active ingredient and make something for you?

Quote Blueberries View Post
    Heya MM, I have psorasis and I use Lush's Dream Cream as an emolient cream to relieve the itching. Diet-wise I just try to drink alot of water, and make sure I'm gettig enough fatty acids and B-vitamins. Everyone has individual triggers so I'd say keep an eye in what you're eating when you get a flare-up. Stress is a trigger too, but there isn't much you can do about that besides just trying to relax. If you're bad enough that you need a steriod cream, use it.

Edit: just saw where you mentioned your scalp, I use Naked sensitive shampoo and conditioner which doesn't seem to aggravate my scalp psorasis. You can also massage olive oil or coconut oil into your scalp and leave it in for a while before washing to help ease the itchiness.

I will def go to Lush and get this cream for the patches I have that arent on my scalp, and Ive seen coconut oil in superdrug so im defo gonna try this as I drink alot of water anyways. Thank everyone for all of your inputs and if anyone hears anything else, do let me know IM TRYING THEM ALL!!!!!

When I was a child and had a problem scalp my mum used to put olive oil in my hair overnight then comb out the crusty bits before washing it in the morning.

I know it is not quite the same condition but I found for my (adult onset) eczema constant moisturising was the answer - literally every time I thought about it I'd moisturise. I didn't get on with Dream Cream (you might want to get a free sample to try first) and used an unscented lotion.
    Idleness is not doing nothing. Idleness is being free to do anything. - Floyd Dell

Quote Marrers View Post
    When I was a child and had a problem scalp my mum used to put olive oil in my hair overnight then comb out the crusty bits before washing it in the morning.

I know it is not quite the same condition but I found for my (adult onset) eczema constant moisturising was the answer - literally every time I thought about it I'd moisturise. I didn't get on with Dream Cream (you might want to get a free sample to try first) and used an unscented lotion.
    Thank you I will try this as well, if all these work Ill be flack free!!!

I have been using Oilatum lotion on a large psoriasis rash. This was recommended on various web forums as a vegan suitable alternative to E45, as that contains lanolin. Obviously it comes with the usual caveats of it being made by a pharmaceutical company. But it does help relieve the itching for a while. Though I would much prefer a Superdrug own-brand alternative if there is one.

Which is related to what I came here to ask about. Due to some general itchiness elsewhere I thought it might be a good idea to try a bath lotion. But the ingredients for the Oilatum bath formula list lanolin, so I was wondering it anyone could recommend a suitable alternative?

Thanks.

Oooooooooo oilatim is good stuff, is it really vegan? As ill go back to that if it is!!! The coconut oil is defo helping my flakes but not the itchyness!!!! Lol I'm currently on a bus scratching like I've got fleas!!! LOL xxx

Quote onions View Post
    ..E45... I would much prefer a Superdrug own-brand alternative if there is one.
    There is one, it comes in a similar tub to the E45. I haven't used it myself but I know that its vegan, so you should give it a try.
    Houmous atá ann!

Quote MagicMegyn View Post
    Oooooooooo oilatim is good stuff, is it really vegan? As ill go back to that if it is!!! The coconut oil is defo helping my flakes but not the itchyness!!!! Lol I'm currently on a bus scratching like I've got fleas!!! LOL xxx
    That was the claim I found on several sites when searching for a vegan alternative to E45, and the ingredients look okay. Certainly no lanolin or beeswax, which are the usual problems. There is a stearate, which can be both animal or vegetable in origin, but with multiple sources having recommended it as suitable I am taking it to be the latter.

I have also tried Simple Derma Intensive Relief lotion, which explicitly states it is free of animal-derived ingredients, so that may be of interest to try. Though it just made me feel more itchy so I went back to the Oilatum.

Even aside from the vegan issue, it is so annoying that there are so many products specifically for dealing with eczema, but none for psoriasis, the skin condition of champions.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Blueberries View Post
    There is one, it comes in a similar tub to the E45. I haven't used it myself but I know that its vegan, so you should give it a try.
    Do you mean aqueous cream? I am not certain how it differs from Oilatum as the ingredients are similar, I think it is just a lighter emollient. And I have tried a different brand of aqueous cream but it was of little help to me. Which is a shame as it is so cheap, and there are many non-brand versions which seem vegan as well as Superdrug's own.

Quote onions View Post
    ...psoriasis, the skin condition of champions.
    Haha, that made me laugh!

Quote onions View Post
    Do you mean aqueous cream? I am not certain how it differs from Oilatum as the ingredients are similar, I think it is just a lighter emollient. And I have tried a different brand of aqueous cream but it was of little help to me.
    I think it is. I never used E45 or Oilatum, I used Silcock's Base in my pre-vegan days, which is an aqueous cream. I now use Lush Dream Cream, I know it doesn't suit everyone but it does help my itching.
    Houmous atá ann!

Aqueous cream certainly helps my normal patches but ill used to pput it in my hair when I was younger! For my scalp! Worth a shot again! thanks guys!!! Xxx

Vganisms

Thumbs up Re: Vegan remedies for psoriasis?

As for the liver dysfunction have you tried pure laxative? quite simple, you need to be constantly flushing your system laxative and lots of pepper is good for the liver :'), also drink less chemicals in juice for example fizzy drinks and so forth, good health and good luck, peace be with us soon

Well, this is crazy.

E45 lotion and cream is unsuitable because it contains lanolin, but Oilatum lotion does not and is okay.

And Oilatum bath oil is unsuitable because it contains lanolin.

So, on a whim, given all that, while shopping I thought I should take a look at the ingredients on the E45 bath oil instead of just assuming it is unsuitable because the other products in the range are.

It may seem unlikely, but it is not impossible it could be the opposite of Oilatum's range. What harm does it do to look?

Crazy idea. Yet it seems that is the case.

The E45 bath oil has no lanolin, it is just mineral oil and a couple synthetic chemical things.

Unless anyone knows otherwise, and again it is made by a medical company with all that that industry entails, but I am pretty sure the E45 bath oil is vegan

Quote Vganisms View Post
    As for the liver dysfunction have you tried pure laxative? quite simple, you need to be constantly flushing your system laxative and lots of pepper is good for the liver
    Milk Thistle is a herb commonly used to detox the liver and is sometimes recommended for psorasis, but I haven't used it myself. People also use it for hangovers!
    Houmous atá ann!

Yup, I use milk thistle before and after a good session. I use it for my liver though, not to prevent hangovers! That said, there isn't any conclusive proof on its benefits:

"At this point, there is not enough scientific data to say whether or not milk thistle can help liver problems. Some early research suggests milk thistle may aid people with alcohol-related liver disease. Other studies show no improvement in liver function in this group of people.
    Some studies also show milk thistle may offer a possible benefit for people whose liver is damaged by industrial toxins, such as toluene and xylene.
    More information is needed before doctors can say milk thistle actually benefits the liver"

Source: http://www.webmd.com/heart-disease/m...d-side-effects
    Todays empires, tomorrows ashes...

Quote onions View Post
    bath oil
    A good thing to do to soothe itchy skin is to have an oat milk bath. Put some oats in a pair of old tights or tied up in a tea towel or cheesecloth and put it in the bath as you run the water, the result is an oat milk bath