Thread: New changes for single parents

Default New changes for single parents

As the law stands now, single parents have the option to not work and claim income support until their youngest childs 16th birthday. From October this year that will no longer be the case. Single parents of children aged 12 or over will be expected to find work or lose their benefits. In 2 years time single parents will be expected work when their youngest child reaches 7.

I only found out about this two weeks ago and was invited to a meeting to discuss it with the lone parent advisors today. Apparently if I don't find a job I'll be forced to take any old crap job and I also have to be prepared to give up my college course which I was planning to start in September

This really isn't fair that this new law has been sprung on us so quickly and I'm really worried about whats go to happen to me. For some reason theres not much info about it but I found this http://www.communitycare.co.uk/Artic...port-cuts.html

If there are any single parents of young children reading this and thinking about further education, my advise is to go for it now while you have the chance.
    The only normal people are the ones you don't know very well

Default Re: New changes for single parents

I'm a single parent and studying. My lone parent advisor told me the same thing only she said the age cut off was 10 years old. I'm not sure which is right or whether it's different depending where you live.
    Dizzycow

Just read the link, Great!!!!!!!
    Dizzycow

Good sperm

And if you don't find work you get sent on a Welfare to Work course (like the one I run) and get 'coached' back to work. Depeding on the course this may be very helpful (getting you a good CV, brushing up your interview skills, offering work placements etc) or a bit poo. I'd advise you to get part time work asap to get them off your back, and while you're working you can claim tax credits and in-work bonuses.
    Some more info here

Quote absentmindedfan View Post
    And if you don't find work you get sent on a Welfare to Work course (like the one I run) and get 'coached' back to work. Depeding on the course this may be very helpful (getting you a good CV, brushing up your interview skills, offering work placements etc) or a bit poo. I'd advise you to get part time work asap to get them off your back, and while you're working you can claim tax credits and in-work bonuses.
    Some more info here
    Good advice AMF.
    I know the old system has been invaluable for me in its enabling me to retrain at home over the last 10+ years. It will be much harder in the future.
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

cobweb

i think it's harsh - children aged 12 still need their parent around for them, what are you meant to do in holiday time, etc? - or if you home educate?.

the only bonus i can see is that it might just put young girls off having babies on their own in the future.

I had a feeling it was going this way a few years ago, so I took a weekend job (my mum has the kids) so that I was still there to take and fetch them from school, I got into Uni for a while but that didn't work out so I got another job in a pre-school Mon-Fri - which means I can still take the kids to school every day and I have the same holidays off which is useful.

Instead of doing Uni I'm doing my Certificate in Early Years Practice with the OU, as of now it kind of sucks that I'm working seven days a week and trying to study, but come October when I'll be qualified to Level 4 I can look for a 'proper' job in Early Years which will free up my weekends...I'll be continuing my studies to the Early Years Foundation degree which gives Senior Practitioner level and from there I can either go on to do a QTS or top up the degree to BA honours level and gain EYPS status....which means the pay scale significantly increases. It's a lot of hard work at the moment but there's an end goal in sight in the next 3 to 4 years...whilst it might suck for the forseeable future it will be worth it in the end

I guess what I'm trying to say is that there is a way around getting work AND still being there for the kids when they need you....it may not always be the way you'd choose to do it but it is possible to do it!
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

cobweb

well done poison ivy, i know it must be hard work.

Thanks Cobweb It is hard, I had a bit of a wobble a couple of weeks ago where I just wanted to pack it all in - mainly as I was just so mentally and physically exhausted but I'm through that now - plus it's half term after today so (barring weekend work) I get a week off - Yay!

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    Thanks Cobweb It is hard, I had a bit of a wobble a couple of weeks ago where I just wanted to pack it all in - mainly as I was just so mentally and physically exhausted but I'm through that now - plus it's half term after today so (barring weekend work) I get a week off - Yay!
    You go girl.
    Remember Moscow..
    ..but what would they do with all the cows?..

hahaha, thanks HP...and as if I could forget!!