Thread: Forum Fraud - Warning

Default Forum Fraud - Warning

Social networking sites pose a real risk of identity theft: have you taken enough precautions?

Social networking sites can be a great way to keep in touch with friends and a fun way to meet new people. But, these sites need to be used with some caution.

Fraudsters are turning to such sites to glean information about individuals and potentially steal their identity.

Prevention is definitely better than cure, so here are some simple precautions you can take.

Top tips for using social networking sites:

• Be careful what you reveal – only put the most basic of personal details on social networking sites.

• Don’t include your date of birth or your mother’s maiden name as these are commonly used by banks to verify your identity.

• Set up ‘privacy’ on your profile so only close friends can view your information.

• If you are going on holiday or you will be home alone, don’t put it on the site. You could become a target for a break-in.

• Potential partners and employers often search names on these sites, so don’t put anything there which could ruin your chances of a new job or boyfriend/girlfriend.

• Be wary of anyone you meet online. Their photo may be deceptive and they may have different intentions.

• Keep a close eye on your accounts and report any unfamiliar transactions immediately, it’s often the first sign you’ve become a victim of identity theft.

No forum can really take legal responsibility although pressure from various bodies has started.

If anyone you know has suffered from this type of theft or through other 'security' risks associated through forum use – please post your comments as these may help your fellow forumers.

*Source of general information: Equifax*
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan

Default Re: Forum Fraud - Warning

Quote Frank View Post
    • Be wary of anyone you meet online. Their photo may be deceptive and they may have different intentions.
    You mean, you aren't actually black Frank afterall?

Default Re: Forum Fraud - Warning

eyesssss every colour!!!
    I Think, Therefore I Am A Vegan