Thread: Africa/Peace Corps

Default Africa/Peace Corps

Hi, I'm new to the site, and I'm not sure if this has been
    answered anywhere, but I couldn’t find a thread that addressed this... I tried
    posting on another vegan site, but so far no one has had any answers, so I
    thought I’d try here

I'm really interested in joining a volunteer organization such as the Peace Corps after I graduate from college. I would like to teach English in a French-speaking African country. However, I've heard that it's extremely difficult or nearly impossible to be vegan (or even completely vegetarian) in the Peace Corps, and that the organization is not very accommodating to vegan/vegetarian diets. The idea of "choosing" between animal rights and human rights really bothers me--the two aren't mutually exclusive, and I hate to think that my decision to live a cruelty-free lifestyle would prevent me from participating in programs that are focused on improving the lives of humans.

I was wondering if anyone has any experience traveling to Africa or participating in volunteer abroad programs (the Peace Corps or other organizations) as a vegetarian or vegan, and if you had any advice on this.

Default Re: Africa/Peace Corps

I am most likely going into the peace corps after I graduate in a year and a half. I think I'll be going to Eastern Europe, granted that I get in and my health improves. Anyway, I've talked to a bunch of people who've gone into the peace corps and work as representatives to their area. One of the ladies that went to Africa ended up travelling quite a bit during and after her session of 2 years. She told me that the volunteers generally eat what the natives eat, which for her, was goats milk/ fat with various grains. It sounded really nasty. I would imagine the conditions have improved since then and it depends on the region. I think vegansim in Eastern Europe would be considerably easier than in Africa. I will be notifying them of my health conditions, along with dietary needs and see what they say. I'll probably go into the program regardless of if they cater to my dietary needs. You could also check with other programs/ groups/ volunteer organizations to see how well they cater to veganism. Good luck with your decision!!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Thanks for taking the time to help me Yeah, I expected that volunteers would generally eat what the natives eat, which is why I was a little worried. Despite that, I think it's still worth looking into and I could make it work.
    Thanks for your help, I appreciate it!

Yeah, definitely try to talk to the organization ahead of time. Maybe they can place you somewhere thats not too remote, with access to a market or some sort of store. It may make all the difference. Plus, I think it'll be worth it, regardless if you have to eat a few non-vegan items.... I mean, disguisting, but if things are that dire, you might not have a choice. Also, I think it'd be worth researching the area you're visiting ahead of time, just to get to know the culture. Don't the programs sound exciting?
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott