Thread: Parabens

Default Parabens

I've been reading here and there recently that parabens are a BAD THING and lots of toiletries now seem to say 'paraben-free' as an advantage. I was shocked to see my usual (for the last few years) face cream (I have dry skin) contains parabens. I ordered a new type from Animal Aid and it arrived today. It's got parabens in it! (It didn't say it hadn't. I should have asked when I ordered it. I just assumed it was healthy and natural...)

I've looked up parabens on Wikipedia, but I'd like someone here to spell it out to me nice and simply (I'm not scientifically minded...) Should I just use this cream (and my old stuff) or should I try to return it?

Thanks, clever scientific folk!

Penny

Default Re: Parabens

basically penny, they're preservatives.

Definitions of Parabens on the Web:

a family of neutral, broad-spectrum antibacterials which have been used extensively for many years in the food, cosmetic and pharmaceutical ...
    www.woodlandherbs.co.uk/acatalog/glossary.html

(see preservatives). The most commonly used preservatives in cosmetics today are parabens, with a broad spectrum of anti-microbial activity. However, many people complain about adverse skin reactions to parabens that include skin rashes and irritations. ...
    www.thenaturalskincarecompany.co.uk/Glossary.htm

Parabens are a group of chemicals widely used as preservatives in the cosmetic and pharmaceutical industries. Parabens are effective preservatives in many types of formulas. These compounds, and their salts, are used primarily for their bacteriocidal and fungicidal properties. ...
    en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parabens

But are they the kind of preservatives I'd want on my skin? Someone else has said to me that she thinks it's a lot of scaremongering, based on very small results...

Penny

I don't think anyone is going to be able to give a definitive answer as it's a controversial area (as summarised in the Wikipedia article you read). To me the evidence for parabens being bad for you seems to be quite flimsy so personally I wouldn't be worried about this one pot of cream. If you're concerned perhaps you can look around for a paraben-free one for next time. (Perhaps those those ones Lush sell that have to be refrigerated are preservative-free?)

cobweb

i don't think Lush stuff is paraben free (i'm not sure, i've stopped buying it because it's soooo expensive)

i think that parabens are nasty but no nastier than the perol fumes, plastic fumes, etc that we all submit ourselves to every day. Personally i use hemp or flax oil to moisturise because it's so pure and so good for us, and can be absorbed through the skin. However, i do now use regular gunky shampoo on the basis that i rinse it off after use, and the fact that it costs 1/6 as much as the 'natural' brands (which still come in plastic bottles and are mass produced anyway).

I know... I just hate to think of wasting the money.... I could have bought more recipe books, instead... And I'm always very careful to try to avoid chemicals if at all possible...

I did check some stuff at Lush a few months ago and it had parabens in it.

Penny

Yes I'm sure Lush's regular stuff contains parabens as I was reading something about it the other day (possibly here!) but what about their stuff that you have to keep in the fridge and that only lasts five minutes - surely that wouldn't have preservatives? Mind you while you were doing that you could probably make your own out of an avocado or something - I'm sure there are recipes for that on the web.

BTW I think Yaoh moisturiser may be paraben-free and they often have special offers on it so it doesn't work out too expensive.

I'm really passionate about this and have done loads of research. Basically, I dont put anything on my skin that I wouldnt eat.

My moisturiser....sweet almond oil or coconut oil. All organic of course. It's cheap, you only need a little, so lasts for ages, and it leaves your skin absolutely amazine looking.

Cosmetic companies have a lot to answer for. They took beautiful natural oils, used to cleanse and moisturise, copied them by making them out of chemicals and sell them back at a huge price..both to pocket and health.

I use sweet almond oil for pretty much everything on my skin. It wipes away makeup in a flash(just rub it in and wipe it off using a cloth), then you need only a little to moisturise. It does the whole body too. Its fab for dry skin.

All natural oils and butters can be used to moisturise and cleanse, you can even begin making your own concoctions, but I find the purer and simpler the better.

I pay 5.99 for 500mls for sweet almond oil and 2.99 for coconut oil (the coconut oil hardens so you just melt it like butter before spreading it on - delicious). it lasts me about 4 months and I use it all over too.