Thread: Tasmania?

scotch&dry

Default Tasmania?

*waves*

Hello. From Tasmania? Let's talk about this freezing little crap-hole
    What do we have in the way of vegetarian/vegan groups?
    Do you feel generally accepted here (as a vegan)?

Default Re: Tasmania?

Unfortunately Im up in Brisbane so I cant really comment on Tassie. The furthest Ive lived down your way is Melbourne and Adelaide.
    Goodluck finding some Tassie vegans:smile: And remember that you can always chat to all of us on here

scotch&dry

Haha I want to talk to people from everywhere of course! I was just curous about the Tassie kids =D

I was actually born in Rockhampton =D And I have a cousin in Brisbane ... I think O_o
    Do you like it there?

Hi Scotch and welcome! I live in Brisbane and we're really lucky up here to have a bunch of great places to eat for vegans. The veg society up here is really active too. I've always wanted to visit Tasmania....the ads make it look all rugged and clean and full of adventure. Maybe not vegan friendly adventure though, by the sounds of your experience!! Stay warm!
    In her satin tights.....fighting for your rights.....

hello welcome im from sydney.
    you should try looking on the net to see if you have a vegan group in your area the sites usual have great links and stuff
    good luck
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

scotch&dry

Quote Wonderwoman View Post
    Hi Scotch and welcome! I live in Brisbane and we're really lucky up here to have a bunch of great places to eat for vegans. The veg society up here is really active too. I've always wanted to visit Tasmania....the ads make it look all rugged and clean and full of adventure. Maybe not vegan friendly adventure though, by the sounds of your experience!! Stay warm!
    Haha! I'll swap with you!

Quote XxsarahxX View Post
    hello welcome im from sydney.
    you should try looking on the net to see if you have a vegan group in your area the sites usual have great links and stuff
    good luck
    Thanks! How do you like Sydney? Veg-wise and everything-else-wise.

From my experience of Tassie - I'm probably the nearest vegan to you
    i have heard there is another vegan in Bendigo but I have not discovered them yet!! It can be a lonely life sometimes

scotch&dry

Quote treehugga View Post
    From my experience of Tassie - I'm probably the nearest vegan to you
    i have heard there is another vegan in Bendigo but I have not discovered them yet!! It can be a lonely life sometimes
    Oh, I have a friend who is vegan - it's just her and I that I know of, and we aren't all that close. I agree, it can be a little lonely when we're so few and far between. Isn't it something like .... 1.5% of Americans are vegan? It must be smaller here

Hi there, I'm in Tassie, up in the North near Launceston Greetings!

scotch&dry

Talking Re: Tasmania?

You exist! Hello!!!

I'm down, about 40 minutes south of Hobart ... yeah, I know, sucks to be me >_< they aren't very accepting of difference down here! What's it like for you?

I'm the only vegan I know up here. We have Fresh, the veg cafe in Launceston which has a few vegan options, and a couple of great health food shops. Otherwise it's pretty lonely. There are a few vegans down your way with AACT, not so many up here I think. A tas vegetarian has just started up down there though with some meet ups. Have you attended any??

scotch&dry

No, I'm not actually with AACT yet - I should get around to that =)
    I haven't been to a meet up either! I was actually warned not to go to one by the only other vegan I know - you'd recomend it?

That's cool you have a veg*n cafe ... I don't know of any down this way

hey scotch! im a hobart vegan! next time you're in town try shu yuan in bank arcade, just off the mall. it's the best in town, plus there's a sushi place opposite. do you get bagged out much for being vegan? cos i work in a kitchen an all the chefs are extreme anti-vego, so they enjoy tormenting me(eg being chased by someone with a chicken carcass on their hand, coating a burger in chocolate and giving it to me). They're still very nice people though.

scotch&dry

hey scotch! im a hobart vegan! next time you're in town try shu yuan in bank arcade, just off the mall. it's the best in town, plus there's a sushi place opposite. do you get bagged out much for being vegan? cos i work in a kitchen an all the chefs are extreme anti-vego, so they enjoy tormenting me(eg being chased by someone with a chicken carcass on their hand, coating a burger in chocolate and giving it to me). They're still very nice people though.

Hi! A Hobart vegan! Wow ... this is new! Is Shu Tuan all vegan or does it have vegan options, or vegan on request ...?

Wow, that sucks man. The only time I ever had anything like that was when I first when vegetarian, my mum jokingly threw a piece of fish on me and I practically had a breakdown ... no one ever did it again

I don't get bagged out a lot with my friends, but sometimes when I tell a new person, they give the usual responses we all know too well. Most of my school buddies (I go to Hobart College), are vegetarian, so the rest are really accepting of it.

well i've been going in there since i was vegetarian, then when i went vegan i was dreading having to ask if their food was, but the lady said that they try not to put any animal ingredients in any of their food But i've only ever had the curry-type stuff and the soup, so not sure about the rest of it. yeah i got a fish slap the other day, i was not happy. I wish i had more vego friends! i find it's mostly boys who bag me out (i go to guilford) and a couple of parents, which isn't cool. but otherwise yeah, people are pretty accepting. have you tried So Good chocolate ice cream!?

scotch&dry

Hey cool, I should check them out!
    Man, that's awful, I thought I had it tough with people. What's Guilford like? Do you mean other peoples parents bag you out? O_O
    I get the So Good Vanilla! =D I was always more a vanilla girl than chocolate =D I'm guessing you'd recomend the chocolate though?
    Did you know about City Organics? I go in there sometimes - it's a cute little store on Criterion street.

yeah sure do, i love vegie chips! and yeah i'm a choccy girl so i mostly dont bother with vanilla, though it's still good. there's also eumarrah on barrack st just of goulburn st which is probably the biggest health food shop we've got in hobart area, it's awesome everything you need pretty much. last time i checked chocolate cashew bliss balls are vegan! if you've never tried them start now.

oh yeah it is friends' parents, i really do hate it when they give me shit more than others, and more than getting fish in the face, which actuall doesn't bother me as much as it might. im pretty desensitised to that sort of thing as a dish pig. i have to wash up some pretty rank stuff. guilford is ood, as far as school goes, which isn't far. do you like hobart?

scotch&dry

Talking Re: Tasmania?

=D I'm into the seaweed rice crackers! Cool, I'll give Choclate a go next time! Ooo I'll check that place out too! =O Chocolate cashew bliss balls? That sounds like ... I have no words for how awesome that sounds!

Dude, slap them all. What do they say? Sorry about having to clean yuckie stuff >_<

Hobart College is alright - It's a good school, much better than my high school. Hobart as a city ... haha I laugh when people call it a city ^___^ It's like, the smallest city ever =D I really want to move to Melbourne =D

Hi gals,

TVA is holding a veggie banquet and presentation on Sat the 16th in Hobart (!!)

Will either of you be joining us/interested? $15 for concession, info on their web site. The Alliance is very new and the first real attempt for a veg society down here that I know of, it would be great to throw some support behind them.

I'm heading down with my little one Zen, and will then move onto the Brisbane Hotel after for the psytrance session, going to be a big one
    Last edited by Wilhelmina; Aug 4th, 2008 at 12:47 AM. Reason: spelling

scotch&dry

Quote Wilhelmina View Post
    Hi gals,

TVA is holding a veggie banquet and presentation on Sat the 16th in Hobart (!!)

Will either of you be joining us/interested? $15 for concession, info on their web site. The Alliance is very new and the first real attempt for a veg society down here that I know of, it would be great to throw some support behind them.

I'm heading down with my little one Zen, and will then move onto the Brisbane Hotel after for the psytrance session, going to be a big one
    Oooh interesting =) that would be cool. Do you know times and things? I have limited transportation and have to rely on buses unfortunately.

Heh ... I'll probably die of nervousness if I go

ditto... i dont knw anyone! but knowing others would be cool once i know them. do you know whee it's going to be held? i l'm a townie so i can pretty much walk anywhere in the vicinity. im in, i supose thankyou for the invite, wilhelmina

oh and what's TVA?? is it somthing i should know? hah

http://www.tasveg.org/

Vegetarian Tasmanian present:

Saving the Planet One Bite at a Time How modern diets are contributing to climate change.
    Vegetarian Tasmania invites you to:
    a presentation
    and a vegetarian banquet
    Saturday 16 August, 6pm
    St Georges Church Hall, 30 Cromwell Street, Battery Point
    $25/$18 concession, family rates available

RSVP by Thursday 14 August to 0400 177 361 or email info@tasveg.org

....mmmm food. I really really can't cook so I'm looking forward to this. Apparently "most" of the food is vegan, which kinda seems a bit odd given the topic for discussion, maybe I should wear a "vegan or die" shirt? LOL
    I think AACT are in on this too, Against Animal Cruelty Tas.

We should all go and be the nervous looking girls that don't know anyone then I plan to have a good night out after, then grab a burger at Retro before heading back up to Launceston Sunday

scotch&dry

Red face Re: Tasmania?

I'd love to come, but I have pretty much zero transportation options - I'll ask around and see if any of my mates want to go (so I'll have a ride or place to crash for the night) but I doubt they're interested.

If I do go, I'll be the one looking like this: lol

having two other lone vegans sounds good to me! how did you get on to this thing incidentally? oh no! i cant do next saturday, i already have plans! or maybe i could bring my friend along, she'd be vegan but her parentals won't let her. hmm. i'll see what i can wangle. where did you get your vegan t from?

scotch&dry

I RSVP'd ... I couldn't find anyone who wanted to come with me so I booked a hotel for the night - alright!!

How many people do you think will show?

They posted a notice on www.tasmaniantimes.com, a site for independent tasmanian news, and AACT has sent all their members an email advising of it. I would hope they would have a good number- I mean, vegan food !! in Tasmania !! Desserts !! LOL I'm booked into the Pickled Frog. Set times just went up for Sat night at Brisbane hotel, music 10pm-5am+ so I'm in for a good long night

Are you joining us Weasel?

scotch&dry

Cool Re: Tasmania?

I didn't meet up with either of you! Or at least ... I don't think I did

What did you think? The food was amazing!

I missed this!!! I was given an unannounced uni assignment on Friday, due this week, and I spent most of the week getting it done. So increadily down about this. I was really looking forward to meeting some like minded people and all that good vegan food.

Devastated.

scotch&dry

Red face Re: Tasmania?

Oh no!

The people were mostly kind of late 20s and up, but I still had a lot of fun. Everyone was so friendly and I didn't feel left out (being the youngest over 10 years old), which is good because I thought I would be. The food was made by ... I think they were like Indian monks (I feel bad for not remembering the actual term) and we were spoken to by one of the women who cooked, the man who did the presentation and Julie, one of the organisers. Most people signed up for a mailing list, where they e-mail everyone about upcoming events, so you could probably e-mail Julie (jp.dixon@bigpond.net.au) if you want to be on that list. Julie actually e-mailed me today about this: http://www.loveearthgathering.com/ which you might be interested in - I reckon I'll hit that one up again. She also mentioned that they're open to anyone who wants to help plan for it.

And finally (I'll stop blabbing soon!) she gave me the URL for a site one of the other members (who was kind enough to drive me back to my hotel) reccomended, which is www.veganworld.com

I'm sorry you couldn't come but maybe I'll catch you at the next one =)

thank you so much for that(not too long) post! i've been really outa contact of late cos my laptop was stolen :-s. i'll get onto that julie person. i swear i'm the youngest wherever i go! but i suppose i'll be cursing it when i'm the oldest so shouldn't complain. are you going to falls this year!? i got first round tickets .