Thread: Low Fat Meat Substitutes?

Question Low Fat Meat Substitutes?

Hi all! I have been vegan for 4-months after 18-years vegetarian. I am constantly on a diet as I have reached my target weight and need to maintain it (which is difficult as I have PCOS).

I'm struggling to find any low fat/low calorie meat substitute products that are vegan apart from TVP. I used to eat loads of quorn when I was veggie so I'm finding it really difficult not having most of the meat substitutes that are vegan, as the ones I have tried are so fattening! Are there any low fat/cal versions around?

Any help/recommendations/advice much appreciated!

Thanks

Default Re: Low Fat Meat Substitutes?

Firstly: how about tofu and pulses (beans etc) rather than "substitutes"?

Secondly: Yagga?

Thanks Bryzee, am already experementing with beans & tofu but like having the option of substitutes. I didn't realise that Yagga products are so low in fat so thanks again I will stock up!

no problemo

Are there any other options similar to Yagga? I was enjoying it until it disappeared! Fingers crossed it will be available in the UK again next year : (

I really like the Grassingtons Gardein range but can't find any of those anywhere at the moment either!

I wish the Quorn folk would pull their fingers out and make a vegan friendly version.

*live*&*let*live

There is an offer on at Morrisons for Redwoods Cheatin'. Not sure if they stock it in all but I got some of the 'Beef' and Sage and Onion the other day at £1 a packet! Great for sandwiches and my son loves it too, can't be bad!
    Sorry to hear about your PCOS, me too and endometriosis, bane of my life you have my every sympathies x

Mousee!!

could you consider Dragonfly patties a meat substitute?

Have you thought about making your own seitan or tempeh?

Seitan is very easy to make at home... I used to make it with breadflour a lot, until I got some gluten powder online, so it's cheap for you to try. Just requires a little effort to start You can find loads about this online, but basically, it's kneeding and rincing a dough untill the water runs clear, and then simmering or steaming the dough (with added flavours) in whatever way you prefer.

Tempeh is a little more effort, but I really like it, and the texture reminds me a lot of Quorn. You can also but this in health food stores, normally about the same price as you would pay for water packed tofu from an independant store (about 2.25 for a pack round these parts)

I'm not sure about soy products and PCOS though? You might want to look online about that.

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    There is an offer on at Morrisons for Redwoods Cheatin'. Not sure if they stock it in all but I got some of the 'Beef' and Sage and Onion the other day at £1 a packet! Great for sandwiches and my son loves it too, can't be bad!
    Sorry to hear about your PCOS, me too and endometriosis, bane of my life you have my every sympathies x

Thanks - I love the redwood cheatin range but still find it quite high in fat, so only have it for a treat!

Yep me too with the endometriosis so I feel for you too - what a nightmare! xx

Thanks Ms Derious, I haven't tried tempeh or seitan, again I was under the impression that they are quite high in fat content but I might be wrong?!

*live*&*let*live

Didn't realise that it was high in fat will check in my fridge! I normally just go off the cals per slice and as I am only having one or two at a time I find this is ok. Do you have a set amount you limit yourself to everyday? Say so much fat, sugar etc?

leedsveg

Quote KayJay View Post
    I wish the Quorn folk would pull their fingers out and make a vegan friendly version.
    Seems that Quorn products, like the Tivall products will always contain eggs. It's hard to imagine what's going to make them change in the next 5 years, say.

Quote KayJay View Post
    Thanks Ms Derious, I haven't tried tempeh or seitan, again I was under the impression that they are quite high in fat content but I might be wrong?!
    Depends what you class as high really. Tempeh is higher then seitan. I think some of the commercially available package foods contain added fat, home made ones aren't so bad.

Is there a reason why you want to be eating meat substitutes? I've cut back on them a lot because of cost, and it took a bit of a shift in my mind to get away from eating them, but now I don't really miss them very much. I have them now and again, for convenience more than anything else, and I normally don't really enjoy them much. Isn't it strange how our brains adapt to new routines?

Good luck with maintaining your weight. My brother's GF has PCOS, and I know it's a big battle for her.

*live*&*let*live

Quote leedsveg View Post
    Seems that Quorn products, like the Tivall products will always contain eggs. It's hard to imagine what's going to make them change in the next 5 years, say.

I know LV, it's a shame, I used to love Tivall when I was a veggie as a teen I used to scoff them. Quorn fake chicken too, is really versatile and its a shame they can't just omit the egg white, my son loves it in a curry and to be honest can't tell the difference. Wonder why they won't do anything to change slightly? Has anyone emailed them about it? What did they say? If not I will do, however something tells me as all you guys are so proactive that it will have been done! Nothing to stop me from adding pressure tho'

Realeat veggie mince is really tasty and I think its made by a vegan company?
    See my local diary ... http://herbwormwood.blogspot.com/

More discussion here

*live*&*let*live

Cheers for that Jimmeh, interesting thread. Standard response for obviously a standard company. I'm going to email them again, this is three years later since that thread and let's see if I get the same letter!

*live*&*let*live

Just emailed Quorn.

Hi
    I have enjoyed your products for many years whilst being vegetarian. However, now find that they aren't suitable for vegans. I heard several years ago that you were working on making your products without milk or egg. Could you let me know please how this is coming along? Have there been any developments or have you ceased to try? Would there be any issue in attempting to try a limited run minus dairy to see how they sold? Let the customer be the judge? Many thanks Nicola

See if they send the generic response that is several years out of date.

Thanks guys - will be interesting to see what Quorn have to say!

The main reason that I was eating meat replacers was because Yagga and the tesco fillets were nice to have with veg or salad in the evening (I try to stay away from carbs in the evenings as I tend to eat quite late after the gym).

I do make up some stuff like chilli, bolognese, lentil stew etc and freeze it but Yagga etc were good just to make up quickly.

I tried the Alpro Soya Nuggets at the weekend which were lovely but too much fat so will stick to them at weekends for a treat!

I probably sound a bit obsessed about my weight but after a huge struggle to shift it I want to keep it off and it's really tough with PCOS

leedsveg

About 15 years ago before I went vegan, I used to eat the occasional Sainsburys beef-style pie made from Quorn. I quite liked the taste and they were very realistic until you got to the last 10 seconds of chewing the 'beef' chunks when they kind of dissolved. I cannot see Quorn ever going the vegan route, they just can't be arsed. Still, there's more to life than Quorn.
    Last edited by leedsveg; Jul 6th, 2009 at 09:37 PM. Reason: clarity

Quote *live*&*let*live View Post
    Cheers for that Jimmeh, interesting thread. Standard response for obviously a standard company. I'm going to email them again, this is three years later since that thread and let's see if I get the same letter!
    no probs

I doubt they'll change their minds, but I'm all for giving it a shot

Fake bacon will fry in a tiny amount of oil and you only need two slices for a sandwich or to chop up in bologonese/soup.

Its not that high in fat.

*live*&*let*live

Just had my response from Quorn.......guess what......

8 July 2009

Dear Nicola

Thank you for your recent correspondence regarding Quorn products.

We are sorry to hear that you were upset to learn that eggs are used in the manufacture of our products.

The ingredients used in the Quorn range of products are vegetable in origin, but all contain a small amount of egg white which is added as a binding agent to produce the firm, meat-like texture that our customers enjoy. In addition, most Quorn products contain whey protein derived from milk.

Over the years, we have expended considerable effort working to find suitable alternative binders to replace the egg which would give the same eating quality and make our products acceptable to vegans. Unfortunately we have never been able to replicate the textures & flavours, (which market research data indicate are the optimum), of our current products with the commercially available, vegan approved, food ingredients.

We value and respect the views of all vegetarians and vegans and would hope to meet their criteria at some time in the future. We will continue to search for acceptable alternatives to eggs and fully assess new ingredients as they come onto the market place, but at present we can unfortunately give no indication of when and indeed if this will ever be achieved.

Thank you once again for contacting us with your enquiry. Please do not hesitate to contact us again should you require any further information or advice.

Yours sincerely

Mark Lumsden
    Consumer Care Advisor

Any surprises there then? NUP! Same damned email!

^oh my God ha ha!. Is that the same reply word for word? I really do hope they are still toiling away trying to find the perfect egg-replacer, but I doubt it

*live*&*let*live

Yeah, you can just imagine locked up workers toiling away, sweating over bubbling pots and attempting to write the correct mathematical equation that will equate to egg replacer. When they surface it will be 2020 and the world will be a much different place and EVERYONE will be VEGAN yay!

Has no-one told them about the few on the market already? Perhaps they don't work?