Thread: NPR: Vegan diets help you life longer

Default NPR: Vegan diets help you life longer

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/s...oryId=91285403

Well, it's a small mention, but in an article (with accompanying podcast), they say that a plant based diet contributes to long life. An author studied several groups of exceptionally long lived and healthy people to find out why.

The pertinent excerpt from the article (regarding Seventh Day Adventists)

"He says their plant-based diet is inspired directly from the Bible — the book of Genesis tells of God providing his people with grains and seeds — and that every week, they take a Sabbath Saturday they call the "sanctuary in time.""

Ok, personally, I shy away from the health aspect of veganism as a reason for it, since I want the focus to be on animal rights, not a more selfish reason like personal health. Still, if it helps get people thinking positive about it, all the better. And it does help with the erroneous belief that we need to eat meat, or veganism is unhealthy.
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

Default Re: NPR: Vegan diets help you life longer

Great article, bit confused about this bit though:

"set up your kitchen in such a way that you're not overeating"

How are u supposed to do that?

It's called the Old Mother Hubbard kitchen! Ours is like that towards the end of the month before pay day.

Quote Ruby Rose View Post
    It's called the Old Mother Hubbard kitchen! Ours is like that towards the end of the month before pay day.
    my kitchen has the Old Mother Hubbard syndrome too

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I imagine a strategy might be to stock your kitchen with healthful foods. I'm always tempted to bring home soy yogurt and soy ice cream- both high in sugar. I've recently discovered WholeSoy frozen yogurt (chocolate hazlenut) which is much lower in fat and sweetened with fructose. I buy bulk popcorn instead of chips....and so on.

Shrapnel- I, too, focus on animal issues when discussing veganism. It is the most important aspect of veganism to me also. However, I've found that many people just don't seem to care about animals but they do care about their health. My husband has 2 people at work that he has convinced to go vegan and it ended up as health aspects being the impetus. One guy had a heart attack and the other has diabetes and both were looking for a 'healthy' diet and adopted a vegan diet after my husband spent quite a bit of time educating them. It works out in favor of the animals so it's a good thing but I do wonder how people can be so uncaring/ morally bankrupt when it comes to being educated on what animals endure.
    "The conventional view serves to protect us from the painful job of thinking." -byron

Stu

Why do I keep reading this apparently new word 'healthful'? What's that all about? What's wrong with 'healthy'?

Quote Laura-Louise View Post

Yeah, like August mentioned, it's about how you stock it. Like, cut down on the ready to eat foods, the kind that are easy to eat and so tend to disappear quickly, keep the healthiest foods easiest to get, don't load up on junk, etc.

Quote august View Post
    my kitchen has the Old Mother Hubbard syndrome too

I haven't listened to the podcast yet but I imagine a strategy might be to stock your kitchen with healthful foods. I'm always tempted to bring home soy yogurt and soy ice cream- both high in sugar. I've recently discovered WholeSoy frozen yogurt (chocolate hazlenut) which is much lower in fat and sweetened with fructose. I buy bulk popcorn instead of chips....and so on.

Shrapnel- I, too, focus on animal issues when discussing veganism. It is the most important aspect of veganism to me also. However, I've found that many people just don't seem to care about animals but they do care about their health. My husband has 2 people at work that he has convinced to go vegan and it ended up as health aspects being the impetus. One guy had a heart attack and the other has diabetes and both were looking for a 'healthy' diet and adopted a vegan diet after my husband spent quite a bit of time educating them. It works out in favor of the animals so it's a good thing but I do wonder how people can be so uncaring/ morally bankrupt when it comes to being educated on what animals endure.
    Oy totally. How people can be so callous just boggles me too. And yeah, it's a good point that the right thing for the wrong reason is still the right thing; the animals benefit regardless of why they're not killed.

ivandurago

Quote Laura-Louise View Post

I was thinking something along the lines of limiting the amount of food you can easily snack on after meals. Such as keeping away microwavable quick meals, frozen foods, bags of chips/snacks, ect. Perhaps keeping more raw vegetables/fruits and things that take time to prepare around.

I know I eat wayyyy more than I need too, and thankfully I have a fast metabolism + exercise to burn it off, however it is still overconsumption and something I need to look at in my own life.