Thread: Sucralose in diet fizzy drinks

Default Sucralose in diet fizzy drinks

Dear all. Does anyone know of the health consequences of drinking soft drinks with sucralose sweetener in them? I have a moderate paunch, and have been advised that diet drinks instead of sugar drinks may help. While I don't strictly avoid non-natural substances, I don't like aspartame, and avoid it. Saccharin I'm generally OK with. Sucralose is a new one that I haven't read anything on.

So, do people think that Sucrolose is OK as a sweetener. Or does it have the same sort of, shall we say, "ambigious" health concerns as aspartame?

This is a bit of a cheeky post as I know the drinks in question (e.g. Sainsburys own brand) are vegan, so that's not the question. But I suspect that this is as good as place as any to find people who share the "guilty until proven innocent" viewpoint on artificial sweeteners.

Default Re: Sucralose in diet fizzy drinks

From that ever-so-trustworthy source, Wikipedia:

Effect on weight gain

Artificial sweetners including sucralose have been identified as possible factors in raising population obesity levels by making the consumer take up more calories later, because it confuses the brain and body responses about sugary substances and calories - associating sweet foods with fewer calories.[34]

Yes, I see the point. I also found that there was more on here about Sucralose than I thought. I didn't know that Splenda = Sucralose.

I need to adjust my drinking habits. I suppose at my age I should have gone off fizzy drinks, but not yet. Some time ago I used to make fruit-ish drinks by just adding citrus fruit to water. A single lemon (20 calories I think) would flavour up a whole 2 litres or so. Now, if I can figure how to get some lemon into fizzy water without making it fountain up, that would help.

At the health food stores, they have natural pops. They aren't sweetened with high fructose corn syrup like Coke or Pepsi but more natural sugars instead. They do contain calories but you can find some with a little less calories. I really like them. Mmm. Ginger beer, sparkling lemonade, cranberry fizzy drink. Move over Pepsi!
    Peace, love, and happiness.

I'm not sure if they have this in your country, but Poland Spring makes flavored, calorie-less sparkling water. They taste just like soda without actually tasting like soda.

http://www.polandspring.com/Products/Sparkling.aspx

It is made by Nestle, however, if you have ethical problems with their products.

Quote daricsmami View Post
    I'm not sure if they have this in your country, but Poland Spring makes flavored, calorie-less sparkling water. They taste just like soda without actually tasting like soda.
    Nope, no Poland Spring here.