Thread: Do vegans have nicer body odour

Default Do vegans have nicer body odour

I read somewhere that a couple who changed to a vegan diet notice a distinct and improved taste and smell to each others body odour-do you think this is true?

Default Re: Do vegans have nicer body odour

I don't know! I do know I stink to the high heavens if I ate a lot of garlic and onions the day before.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

It's possible but I don't personally think it's true. I think alot of the changes people notice when they go vegan are psychological. They want to see improvements so they convince themselves there are some.

I'm not saying that there are no health improvements from going vegan, when I turned vegan 3 years ago after about a week I noticed that I could see better, smell better and my wee tasted better.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Risker's brother has informed us that this is definitely not true. We both smell, apparently.

My brothers kindly tell me I stink all the time.

I think it must be genetically imprinted into all brothers . Although I have been told that being told you smell is how you are welcomed into the Risker family. Odd people.

Quote Risker View Post
    and my wee tasted better.
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

Quote Enchantress View Post
    I think it must be genetically imprinted into all brothers . Although I have been told that being told you smell is how you are welcomed into the Risker family. Odd people.

I don't think I really smell. I can never smell myself (except before I shower or something) and no one has ever told me before. I think they are just being meanies.

Mahk

Quote Risker View Post
    It's possible but I don't personally think it's true. I think alot of the changes people notice when they go vegan are psychological. They want to see improvements so they convince themselves there are some.
    What he said.

I dont really know if vegans smell better. I do know that since going vegan I have noticed that meat eaters smell gross (and alot of them have a pasty colour to their skin).
    I have been told that if you eat alot of asparagus that it can make your wee stinky-but Ive never eaten a heap of it to find out!

I was smelly before and I'm smelly now.

i smell like a health food store. according to my friends.

im not sure if thats good or bad...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

sugarmouse

When i drink loads of vegetable juices (which I do often if I feel bloated or have been eating unhealthily) I am told I have a scent of cabbage!

But in all...I tink body odour from people who eat healthily is nicer than those who eat fast food and junk..I think its just natural..so some vegan diets may have the effect of nicer body odour.

And to tie in with what Risker said, I think I taste nicer downstairs, too:
    eek:

Quote Risker View Post
    I'm not saying that there are no health improvements from going vegan, when I turned vegan 3 years ago after about a week I noticed that I could see better, smell better and my wee tasted better.
    Just to clarify, this whole sentence was a joke.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

I think this depends on the vegan.

Some vegans I know smell like garbage. My wife, on the other hand, smells better than flowers and cake.
    context is everything

Husbands are usually biased and as smell is something that attracts us to others!!!.

I think people either are naturally smelly or not!! I don't really smell, but some people I know are really stenchy no matter what they do

flowers and cake? wow...that's the sweetest thing I've ever heard, I'm sure.

I don't know either way...aside from my children, I don't smell other vegans and my children still smell pretty bad sometimes. Ha. I smell like sweat after strenuous activity and, well, sweating...
    ...take it to the bridge...

A friend of mine told me that I used to smell of milk before I went vegan, and now I don't anymore. That's an improvement, I would say! Btw, she's a vegetarian who doesn't drink much milk, and has always been able to smell the milk on milk drinkers. Eww, milk....

There has been research on this: The effect of meat consumption on body odor attractiveness: http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/1...t=AbstractPlus
    Results of repeated measures analysis of variance showed that the odor of donors when on the nonmeat diet was judged as significantly more attractive, more pleasant, and less intense.

Veli

^^^Good study.

http://www.naturalnews.com/002707.html

You can smell it coming out of them. And it really is something….you are what you eat. I find, if you were to ask me the key to health, the key to health versus disease, is animal protein is very different from plant protein. And for years, vegetarians would argue that it's the same protein -- you get everything the same! It's not the same protein. Animal protein has a lot more of two amino acids - one is methianine, and the other is cysteine, and those two amino acids have as their central atom sulfur. Now, imagine the smell of rotten eggs infusing into every cell of your body. The sulfur rotten egg smell is what we smell. It's what vegans or vegetarians smell on meat-eaters. And the more chicken you eat, the more you're going to stink. And the more you're going to stink and your own body fluids are going to stink.
    While i think you can avoid extreme body odor going vegan, i think that you still need to consume rich amounts of chlorophyll (green veggies, etc) to counteract some of the stronger smelling foods. Overall, vegans still smell better than meat eaters. But i noticed sometimes if i consume supplements, depending on how that supplement was manufactured-- can cause a bad smell in my body-- unless i stop taking it. So, any pills or supplements, i have to screen how they impact my body smell.

So that might be something to take note, if you're vegan and still experience bad body odor, you might need more chlorophyll-- or if you're taking any drugs, prescriptions or synthetically manufactured supplements-- they can contribute to your body odor.

I've noticed, i usually smell like whatever i eat, if i eat an orange, i can smell the orange scent, usually within a few hours or if i make almond milk, i will smell like almonds from my arm pits-- it's kind of cool.

i wish my armpits smelled like papayas...
    ...take it to the bridge...

I wish my armpits smelled like armpits. *sniff* Oh wait, they do.

i eat loads of garlic..very often raw. i yonk.
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Mahk

I've often heard that high chlorophyll juices like wheat grass and especially parsley counter act at least the bad breath associated with (especially raw) onions and garlic. I've tried to find scientific studies to back this up but all I can find is more folklore.

Does anyone know any science to back this up?

Whoever said (and I'm afraid I have to paraphrase it because I can't recall it exactly), "Common knowledge is nothing more than society's currently held, collective superstitions." was a genius, IMO. Anyone know the actual quote?

umm...I don't think anyone's ever paid money to scientists to see is chlorophyll gets rid of bad breath. Just chew some parsley some time to see if it works. It does for me. It also helps to put parsley in a vegetable juice if it has garlic. (I used to make organic veggie juices and smoothies in a deli)

desmond jones

Quote Tigerlily View Post
    I don't know! I do know I stink to the high heavens if I ate a lot of garlic and onions the day before.
    lol same here

other than that, though, i have like no body odor. i don't have to use deodorant very often, cuz all i ever smell like is my green tea shampoo.

and i'm a 15 year old boy,

Quote tofuandpotatoes View Post
    and i'm a 15 year old boy,
    Another!
    *points to user info under avatar*
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

I like to think I smell wonderful all the time . . . sadly I highly doubt this is true!

Do vegans have a nicer body odor?

NO

Quote Fuhzy View Post
    Do vegans have a nicer body odor?

NO
    Agreed. I stink.
    Ocassionally I smell of Marmite and Oranges...It doesn't smell particularly bad...just a bit weird.

I agree that what you eat will usually eminate through your pores and so if you eat stinky meat and dairy you'll smell different to someone who chows down on vegan chilli and jalapenos!!