Thread: Sugar addiction

Default Sugar addiction

Those of you who have been reading the 'Vegan Cupcakes....' thread would have seen my cupcake pictures proudly displayed. I LOVE cupcakes. Only thing is, since getting that book, I've been working up a steady sugar addiction! I've been having one cupcake a day, plus some vegan chocolate each night. Doesn't sound like a lot, but I've noticed that looking forward to the cake has become the highlight of my day and my meals just don't seem complete unless I finish them off with some sugar. I can feel a sort of 'junky' mentality slipping in....I want cake, I want cake, I want...you get the picture!

So, I was searching around the internet yesterday and reading up on sugar and it's effects and I think I may need to detox of it for a while. I'd like to get back to the stage where sugar is a sometimes treat, not an everyday fix! I'm wondering if anyone else has found sugar addiction creeping up on them? Anyone else tried detoxing of it for a while?
    In her satin tights.....fighting for your rights.....

Default Re: Sugar detox

A year ago I read this book on treating depression with diet. It talked all about the perils of sugar enough to scare me to give it up cold turkey. Within 2 weeks I was a different person. I now believe I'm sensitive to sugar because I can't just have a little bit or I'm binging and can't stop. Dh can tell when I've had sugar just by my mood. Scary isn't it?

My life has changed since I got off sugar. Sure I've fallen off the wagon more times than I can count but once I got it out of my body when I do eat it I feel so horrible that it's easy to give it up again.

Now I'm happy with just fruit. LOL!!

Quote Wonderwoman View Post
    I've been having one cupcake a day, plus some vegan chocolate each night.
    Sounds like me at the mo! I need to get off sugar for awhile too, starting will be the biggest hurdle! I did it last year tho, so I know I CAN do it.

I agree w/ KarenAnn, I think refined sugar is like refined wheat flour, once you start you find it hard to stop at a small amount. And I think it makes me moody and/or tired.

I'm going to try focusing on baking gluten free bread at the moment and somehow stop myself from baking sweet goods or purchasing any more white choc.
    cupcakekitteh.blogspot.com

I'm a sugar addict I'm the first to admit i have way to much sugar.
    my partner is actually concerned with the amount of sugar i have.
    so decided we should go one week without sugar i gave it a go and i lasted most of the week we finished on day early but throughout that week i hated every minute of it i was horrible constantly cranky. so i went straight back to eating sugar.
    i loved eating it again but the last few days I'm actually disappointed in myself for been so dependent on it. and wanted to no what is the easiest way to cut back or completely remove it.
    is golden syrup and stuff like that still OK to eat?
    Vegan blog- http://sarah-moo.blogspot.com
    Mummy blog- http://stayingsarah.wordpress.com/

I've also just seen there is a sugar thread in this section of the forum

I stopped eating sugar a few months ago. It's seriously changed my life. When you talk about "addiction" I was an addict in the worst the way. Sometimes I'd be driving home and would have to stop and get something, I couldn't even make it the half hour drive home! Then I wouldn't be able to stop. I could never have it in my house because I'd immediately eat every bite of whatever it was.
    It only takes about a week without it to detox. Greens are really good to help cravings. I don't think it can be an occasional treat though, at least not for me. I think it's easier to just give it up.
    "To reduce suffering means to reduce the amount of ignorance, the basic affliction with us." -Thich Nhat Hanh

I used to be like that, DiaShel, in my pre-vegan days. Now I don't have to stop and buy things but if I have something in the house it usually doesn't last, except for things like dark chocolate because they aren't sugary.

I need to stop buying white choc, there's so much sugar in it, and instead have a juice.

It's nice to know I'm not the only sugar junky! I used to have one sugar treat a week (like a piece of cake or a choc) and one ginger beer a week and that seemed to work fine for me. It takes a lot of discipline though, to stop it creeping up on me. My plan is to go 2 weeks without eating/drinking anything with added sugar. Then, I'm going to bake one item a week, but use agave/maple syrup/rice malt or stevia to replace the sugar. I love to bake and get great pleasure out of making nice homemade vegan treats for my family, so I don't want to give that up completely - I'll just substitute the sugar for a more natural sweetener AND make sure I don't eat the lot!

I'm going to monitor what happens during the detox. I think it will be interesting to see what happens when I no longer have the sugar treat to look forward to. It's become the highlight of my day. How lame! I'll let you all know what happens and I'd love for anyone else who wants to join me to post their experiences!
    In her satin tights.....fighting for your rights.....

I love to bake too but honestly until I kicked the sugar habit I had to give it up. I cut it way way back. If I do bake it's whole wheat stuff and it's sweetened with applesauce (still working on getting new vegan recipes--mine all call for eggs or honey--I've not been vegan for a month yet).

Don't know if you are into supplements or not but in my book they suggested taking 500-1,000 mg of Glutamine 30 minutes before meals to take the edge off sugar cravings. They also gave a strict low carb diet to follow for 1-3 weeks just to get you off sugar. Basically you give up sugar (artificial or otherwise). You can have stevia. But beyond that it's just whole foods but be careful of eating too much fruit because in the beginning that set me off too. Just try to space it out. I found when I was coming off sugar I could only have 3 servings of fruit a day and it had to be the lower sugar ones like green grapes, strawberries, etc. No banana's, red grapes, etc. Just for the first few weeks. I eat them all the time now with no problems.

If you eat often and drink green tea when you want sugar it helps. Following this plan with the supplements made it much easier to cope. My biggest problem was just finding things to eat (I used to live off sugar cereal and junk). LOL!!

Beanstalk

Default Re: Sugar addiction

Have you tried using corn syrup available from health food shops?