Thread: If you could only have one cookbook

Question If you could only have one

cookbook, that is, what would it be??

I do not own a vegan cookbook. Yup, I'll admit it, I make everything from random ideas my head and variations on meat dishes . . . but as I am getting older I think it's time I invest. Soooo I need advice. I can cook so thats not so much of a issue, I am more in need of a book that y'all would recommend for the yummy food within!
    Last edited by Ames; Jun 17th, 2008 at 06:13 PM. Reason: sp

Default Re: If you could only have one . . .

I've heard so many good things about Veganicom, it's not even funny. I am planning on getting this cookbook next.
    Peace, love, and happiness.

Default Re: If you could only have one cookbook

I also would suggest V-con, if you are only buying one. There are other really good cookbooks out there, but there are just so many recipes in this cookbook. I have been pleased with most of the dishes I have prepared.
    tabbouleh-bouleh

I'd probably go with McGee on food and cooking, then figure out my own recipes: http://www.amazon.co.uk/McGee-Food-C...3716258&sr=1-1

JC

i love my demuths cookbook (green world). it's fab. actually, i only like it because of the recipes for chocolate fudge cake and sticky toffee pudding. ignore me.

I really like vegan with a vengeance. It has enough basic things that my kids will actually eat without complaint.

pathologist

For me its Leiths vegetarian book. \its not specifically vegan - but lots of the stuff in it is either vegan or easily made so. Its just the way its set out - it is arranged in types of veg - so if one week we have lots of-say beetroots - its easy to find the relevant section of lots of good ideas.

V-Con for me! I couldn't live without it and I would smash anyone that tried to take it away from me!!! Smash I tell you!!!
    "i'm rejecting my reflection, cause i hate the way it judges me."

Any book by Sarah Brown, I first cooked her veggie stuff in the 80's and loved it then and most of it is vegan or can easily be veganised. I just never tire of her recipes
    Silent but deadly :p

Default Re: If you could only have one

Thanks peoples, I am currently on amazon doing some searching . . . think I may have trouble choosing just one!
    Last edited by Ames; Jun 17th, 2008 at 06:12 PM. Reason: sp

Ames, let me tell you a secret. It's unknown to the non-vegan world but it's a terrible addiction us vegans have.

Once you get your first cookbook, you'll be buying more and more and more. It's a terrible sick addiction .
    Peace, love, and happiness.

oooo . . . . pricey, but I think I could live with that kind of addiction
    much better than my smoking one that I am currently trying to get rid of!

Personally I'm having good luck with internet sites (I don't own a vegan cookbook either). One even lets you meal plan AND prepares your shopping list. Isn't that cool?

ifyou like baking..go for the joy of vegan baking..it's pretty good imo. but is just baking and that..breads..cobblers..pies..cakes etc etc etc

tigerlily is right though..i'm slowly amassing stacks of the things?!
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Quote karenann33 View Post
    Personally I'm having good luck with internet sites (I don't own a vegan cookbook either). One even lets you meal plan AND prepares your shopping list. Isn't that cool?
    Would you mind sharing link with me?? That sounds excellent!

I do enjoy baking but don't get round to it often. Perhaps if I had a book on it that would all change!

Have heard great things about vegan cupcakes taking over the world though
    I can dream can't I?!

I love Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World! If you want to get into baking, I would definitely recommend it. I tend to buy cookbooks but then not use them much (a habit I'm trying to break)...but I've used VTOTW a lot! Recently I got World Vegetarian by Madhur Jaffrey, which seems good (I've only made one recipe so far, which was delicious, and I'm planning on trying several more this weekend). I'm really into authentic or semi-authentic ethnic food, so this cookbook seems perfect for me. It's heavy on Indian food (since the author is Indian), but it also has food from a lot of other countries. It's not vegan, but if you ignore the chapter on dairy, 95+% of the recipes are vegan (and the rest are easily veganized), and since the book is over 700 pages long, it's not hard to ignore the dairy chapter. I'll have to let you know if I actually like the recipes I end up making...it looks very promising though! And like the cookbook mjnewbould mentioned, it's arranged by types of vegetable/legume/grain, so if you have a can of chickpeas lying around, you can just go to the chickpea chapter and find a recipe!

Vegan Feasts by Rose Elliot. First one I bought, and I love it.

But yeah, I agree with tigerlily - you won't be able to stop!

I have just ordered Vegan With A Vengeance and Vegan Freak - as there was a deal thingy on amazon! I'm sooo excited, and interested to read Vegan Freak! Lots of new recipes for me next week!

ooops. I also bought Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World . . .

OOh OOhh!

Bark and Grass
    A vegan cookbook 'zine.

It was given to us. Can't find it in stores. But I'm sure that it's still selling somewhere. Or at the least, a fellow vegan can make a copy for you.

Regardless, we tend to never use cookbooks, even though we have a dozen vegan cookbooks. All are a waste of space and energy except for Bark and Grass. Luckily, most of what we cook is based on our own family cooking and we dont' use a cookbook anyways.
    context is everything

I did see that on amazon earlier now you mention it! But thought I'd stick with what had been recommended on here (my only source of recommedations!)

Quote **Ames** View Post
    I have just ordered Vegan With A Vengeance and Vegan Freak - as there was a deal thingy on amazon! I'm sooo excited, and interested to read Vegan Freak! Lots of new recipes for me next week!
    Quote **Ames** View Post
    ooops. I also bought Vegan Cupcakes Take Over the World . . .
    Haha, already starting on the addiction, huh?

Lol, i thought this might be an entirely different sort of thread...Hehe...

I'd have cherrys website instead. I'm always making stuff from it, the recipies on it are cheap, filling, easy and delicious. Which suits me down to the ground. I made the chocolte cake from there for a film night two years ago and people still tell me how good it was and ask me to bake it again for gatherings and stuff.

MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM MMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMMM
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

I guess I am Mariana yeah, even being warned didn't help obviously! Well I wanted to buy one for new recipes for actual meals, so couldn't justify buying a book on cupcakes hence VWAV, but I want cupcakes too LOL. And the Vegan Freak was just a random 'oh what the heck' buy. Oh dear. I will have to not go on amazon for a while now!

Cattmogg that sounds a wonderful website!! Would you mind posting a link? I'd be forever greatful!

Here's the website Cattmogg was referring to - http://www.parsleysoup.co.uk/

It's run by Cherry, one of the members here.

ooo thank you!

Quote **Ames** View Post
    Would you mind sharing link with me?? That sounds excellent!
    Some are recipes I found that sounded good. Some are meal plans. Some are frugal sites talking about being vegan and some are just blogs that I stumbled onto that had recipes. I figure all these will stop me from spending money on cookbooks for quite a while.

http://vegweb.com/ (this one has the meal planner which rocks!!)

http://www.frugal.org.uk/recipes.html

http://living-vegan.blogspot.com/200...eal-plans.html

http://www.veganlunchbox.com/loaf_studio.html

http://www.randomgirl.com/recipes.html

http://veganagogo.com/

http://www.veganlunchcast.com/2007/0...meat-loaf.html

http://www.vrg.org/journal/vj2006iss...2mealplans.htm

http://www.vegkansascity.com/recipes.html

Quote **Ames** View Post
    Let me know what you think of these when you get them. A few low reviews on amazon scared me. My biggest issue is price of ingredients. So far after reading the reviews I think I can do fine just off the internet. I'll update my post with other recipe sites I found.

Dreena Burton's Vive le Vegan is still my most favourite and well-used cookbook.
    Check out the Toronto Vegetarian Podcast at veg.ca/tvp !

sarah kramer's "la dolce vegan".

Thanks guys!

Karenann - there were quite good reviews on the UK amazon just FYI. I know what you mean though about lasting off the interenet, I just like having books to flip through when I'm bored and such LOL.

Quote **Ames** View Post
    Thanks guys!

Karenann - there were quite good reviews on the UK amazon just FYI. I know what you mean though about lasting off the interenet, I just like having books to flip through when I'm bored and such LOL.
    I'm the exact same way. Sometimes having cookbooks to browse thru is inspiring. But money is tight so I'm trying to put it off for now. KWIM?

oh definatly - partly why I'm only buying my first now! and only get to now cuz I have a bit of extra money coming next week!

Quote **Ames** View Post
    oh definatly - partly why I'm only buying my first now! and only get to now cuz I have a bit of extra money coming next week!
    I just noticed it says you are 21. Do you realize how ahead of the game you are? I sooooo wish I knew this stuff when I was 21. I've changed my menus so many times as I learned about nutrition before then I lived on junk and thought nothing of it. I know being vegan isn't all about avoiding junk but to me it's all one package, being conscious of what you eat and being careful to eat treats in moderation.

Quote karenann33 View Post
    I just noticed it says you are 21. Do you realize how ahead of the game you are? I sooooo wish I knew this stuff when I was 21. I've changed my menus so many times as I learned about nutrition before then I lived on junk and thought nothing of it. I know being vegan isn't all about avoiding junk but to me it's all one package, being conscious of what you eat and being careful to eat treats in moderation.
    Well I have always been kinda weird when it comes to food and animal products. At the age of about 8 I told my mum that 'milk was for baby cows' to which she told me not to be silly and fed it to me anyway But yeah, as soon as I got to be old enough to make my own food choices I went veggie, closely followed by vegan. I have done the whole junk food thing and I am only just getting over it. Like I said previously, I love to cook and so really, there is no excuse for me not too LOL. Plus my thinking has changed, I too now see veganism as taking care of yourself as well as the planet - perhaps everyone goes through the same thing: veggie, junk food vegan, healthy vegan! Perhaps you just get a head start if you are younger.

Its funny I'm 42 but I was raised pretty much vegetarian but it was because we were broke not because of anything else. We did eat meat but not very much mostly on holidays. My parents had a huge garden and we'd just eat that and corn bread for dinner. During the winter it was a lot of beans, soup, etc.

My grandparents ate meat but very rarely as well. They raised their own chickens for eggs. Those hens were very well taken care of. LOL!! They had free roam of the yard and were well fed and fat not like those egg laying chickens I've seen on those horrible peta videos thats for sure.

Both of my parents grew up on farms so if meat was consumed THEY or their parents had to kill it. Never thought about it but maybe thats why they didn't eat much meat. They KNEW were it came from whereas todays children don't get the connection because it's all nicely packaged at the local supermarket.

Yeah that is a good point. Most of my family refuse to think about where their meat comes from. Even if its shown on TV during farming programs etc, and what is shown is a 'good slaughter' they refuse to watch and actually turn the channel over. I don't know if it's guilt, denial or what, but it does annoy me - if they are going to support that industy they should know how it works kwim? Like you say, at least your parents and grandparents knew all that.

i think i would say vegan with a vengance, i simpy LOVE everything i have EVER made from that book. ( i havent had enough time to get knees deep in veganomicon yet)

but i would still use vegweb all the time, because thats not cheating on the only one cookBOOK rule, right.

i vegweb.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote tipsy View Post
    i think i would say vegan with a vengance, i simpy LOVE everything i have EVER made from that book. ( i havent had enough time to get knees deep in veganomicon yet)

but i would still use vegweb all the time, because thats not cheating on the only one cookBOOK rule, right.

i vegweb.
    ooo I'm glad you said that - I bought it off of amazon couple days ago. Not arrived yet though!!

I'm getting a bit website happy over here I have to say, all these fab recipe sights!

My fave vegan cook book is Vegan Cooking by Nicola Graimes. Its great because theres loads of pictures. There's too many vean cook books without pictures. I got Vegan With A Vengeance which is good but its pictureless. Come on somebody, get a great one with loads of pics made.
    If i keep a green bough in my heart my singing bird will come.

Ooo I agree. I want pictures!!

Jane Sen's books (Healing Foods and More Healing Foods) are really good. Especially for somebody who is not used to following recipes. They are pretty simple and the layout is super-easy to follow ... I don't know why all cookbooks don't use the same layout.

Quote Aradia View Post
    Jane Sen's books (Healing Foods and More Healing Foods) are really good. Especially for somebody who is not used to following recipes. They are pretty simple and the layout is super-easy to follow ... I don't know why all cookbooks don't use the same layout.
    Ah thanks. I am going to look on amazon now

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Vegan Feasts by Rose Elliot. First one I bought, and I love it.
    I second that