Thread: Vegan Pizza Bases?

Question Vegan Pizza Bases?

Another random question from moi: Is there a certain brand of pizza-bases you use? I'm hitting Morrisons tomo as I really want to make vegan pizza for my tea tomo but just checked bases in cupboard and they are not vegan. Pants. Not got much time so would help if I knew what to look for! Ta.

Default Re: Vegan Pizza Bases?

Do you mean sauces or the crust? Sauces you can make yourself from canned tomatoe's, olive oil and some spices.

Quote karenann33 View Post
    Do you mean sauces or the crust? Sauces you can make yourself from canned tomatoe's, olive oil and some spices.
    The BASE. not the sauce.

Anyway, Tesco's value ones (in the chillers) seem to be vegan.

Make your own (super easy if you've a bread machine). Will always taste better and probably be cheaper.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    The BASE. not the sauce.

I didn't know Tesco did pizza bases...........I'll look for them today!
    Are they in with the chips etc?
    I like Sandra, she keeps making me giggle. Daft little lady - Frosty

they're in the fridges with the pizzas and other ready meals, not the freezers.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    Snap for Sainsbury's I do believe.
    Let the music mend our minds. Let the music bend our minds.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    they're in the fridges with the pizzas and other ready meals, not the freezers.

I had a look today Bryzee but couldn't find them, I don't think we do them over here.........typical!

eh?!
    aren't the plain pizza bases in morrissons vegan?!

arse.

you could use pitta bread. we sometimes do that...liiiiike crispy base.

are they not though??
    ahronli sed ah dunit so thid tek thuh cheyus graytuh offa mi nihbles

Tesco also do a packet which makes 2 pizzas for only 52p!
    all you need to do is add water and wait for 10 minutes!

Quote Mr Flibble View Post
    Make your own (super easy if you've a bread machine). Will always taste better and probably be cheaper.
    We aren't all master chefs. lol
    "It's not that people suddenly start breeding like rabbits; it's just that people stopped dropping like flies" - population explosion

I have a recipe for a vegan pizza crust and if I can learn how to make it anyone can. LOL!! I didn't cook for YEARS until I had kids and stayed at home. Dh did the cooking.

BTW: My first few pizza's weren't that great but I kept at it. Now I'd rather have mine than any that come from a store or a restaurant. Problem is it's not vegan so I will be back to the drawing board with the new vegan recipe.

Quote emmapresley View Post
    eh?!
    aren't the plain pizza bases in morrissons vegan?!

arse.
    There are some in morrisons that are vegan, they're in packs of 2 thin and crispy bases, I think they're frozen.
    "I don't want to live on this planet any more" - Professor Hubert J. Farnsworth

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    The BASE. not the sauce.
    be nice, bry!

ur engo speak confuddles us americanerssss...
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote x-SaRaH-x View Post
    Tesco also do a packet which makes 2 pizzas for only 52p!
    all you need to do is add water and wait for 10 minutes!

Yes I use that Sarah, it's great and makes a nice base..........the only thing is you have to knead it for 5 minutes. I know that doesn't seem a long time but when you have to make everything you eat, practically from scratch it would be nice to get ones that you can use straight away.

p.s. Do you think I could get away without kneading it? Have you tried it like that?

Waitrose do own-brand frozen pizza bases with tomato sauce, as someone mentioned on here the other day.

We had some last night and I thought they were quite good - the sauce had a nice flavour, though the 'thin' crust was a bit thicker than seemed necessary. (It's true it's a bit decadent not to make them oneself especially as we do have a bread machine, but we didn't get around to preparing dinner until about 10.30 and this made it really quick.)

Quote sandra View Post
    Do you think I could get away without kneading it? Have you tried it like that?
    You will need to knead at least a little bit, to bind the dry ingredients with the water. I started baking my own bread recently, and it's really easy, even without a bread machine. The kneading only needs to go on for as long as you think it should - when the dough holds together nicely, and is slightly elastic - but there may be some trial and error involved. The kneading is quite theraputic, so you might find it quite fun.

This is the basic recipe I use for pizza bases from scratch. This makes one base - if you need more just increase the amounts accordingly. This takes a while to do, as you need to wait for the yeast to work, but you can do other things while you're waiting. You can also use herbs and spices in the dry ingredients too, if you fancy it:

Ingredients:
    400g flour
    Pinch of salt
    250ml warm water
    1.5 teaspoons of dried yeast
    2 tablespoons Olive oil

-Mix the yeast and 100mls of water.
    -Seive the flour and salt into a bowl and make a small "well" for the liquid to go into. Don't mix it up yet.
    -Cover the bowl for about 20 minutes and let it do it's thing. (Do your dishes so far!)
    -After that time is up, the yeast should be bubbling away and enjoying the flour, add the olive oil, and start to mix up, adding water as you go to bind it all up.
    -Knead for as long as you feel necessary. Longer is better, but I usually do it for about 5-10 minutes.
    -Leave the kneaded dough in a bowl, covered by a teatowel for about 1-2hours.
    -Punch the air out of it, and leave covered again for about 30-60mins.
    -Flatten it out again, and shape it into the size and shape you want, cover in your ingredients, and cook at 170'c for about 25-35 minutes.

I know that isn't as easy as the premades, but it's a great money saver and very satisfying.

That's brilliant Wom...........I've printed out your recipe and stuck it on the fridge.
    I think I'll give it a go next time I'm making pizza, even though it does take more time, it would be worth it!

Quote sandra View Post
    That's brilliant Wom...........I've printed out your recipe and stuck it on the fridge.
    I think I'll give it a go next time I'm making pizza, even though it does take more time, it would be worth it!
    Make sure you post a picture so we can see how it goes! Good luck.

I'll do that Wom!

Herbsman

Quote xwitchymagicx View Post
    We aren't all master chefs. lol[/COLOR]
    Uh... you don't need to be a master chef to be able to mix water with bread flour, sugar, salt and yeast.

You certainly don't need a breadmaking machine either. All you need is a bowl, your hands, a warm place, and about 1 hour (about 50 minutes of which is waiting time).

You can even make dough in bulk and freeze it, or (leaving out the sugar from the recipe) make it the morning before you need it and leave it to rise somewhere cool while you're at work.

Ah forgot bout this thread lol. Don't panic Emma, the pizza bases in Morrisons are vegan yep, I just was going to steal a posh one of my mums Darn thing had milk in it. Yak!!

You certainly don't need a bread machine, but with one it takes a minute to weigh the ingredients and stick it on, then 5 mins of kneading and shaping 45 mins later. 1f the oven's hot you can go from raw ingredients to cooked in 1 hour, making it by far and away easier with a bread machine.

Herbsman

true, but it's a bit pointless buying one unless you are going to be making bread at least every other day, and if you don't have much space in your kitchen it's a bit of a waste.

making it by hand really isn't as hard as some people imply. i can't really think of anything easier, except perhaps having a wee. and it's actually more fun IMO especially when you need to take stress out on something, you can just beat the shit out of the dough while kneading it.

A bread maker could actually be a good plan, although it would most likely make me eat a lot more bread and I can't afford one! Perhaps some time in the near future . . .

I've had a breadmaker since Christmas (and before that I borrowed one for a few months to make sure I was going to use it - not a bad idea if you know anyone who's got one stuffed in the back of a cupboard!). I probably run it about twice a week but it would be less if we didn't keep giving half-loaves to friends and relations. We don't eat more bread than before but what we do eat is better quality than we could buy round here. I generally freeze half the loaf immediately after making one (unless I'm going to give it away!) although it keeps quite well in the fridge.

I agree that a machine isn't really necessary and that you could make it by hand but when I've tried that in the past I've not kept it up for more than a week or two whereas this is so easy that even an over-committed and domestically lazy person like me can do it. Also I've read that they use less energy than an oven but no doubt that might vary if you made several loaves at once in the oven and froze them.