Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: The One Hundred Press-Ups Challenge

Default The One Hundred Press-Ups Challenge

http://hundredpushups.com/

Anyone interested in partaking of the challenge?...I'm gonna do it mainly as my upper body strength is a little on the non-existent side at the minute and I quite like the idea of being able to do 100 push-ups.

There's also a useful little guide to variations on the traditional push up here, so you can work up to a full push-up the right way.
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

LGBunny

Default Re: The One Hundred Press-Ups Challenge

Is this 100 without stopping?

Probably, it's consecutive push-ups, so I'm thinking it's without stopping - could be wrong though?
    Blackadder: Baldrick, have you no idea what irony is?
    Baldrick: Yes, it's like goldy and bronzy only it's made out of iron.

That does take some fitness.
    I just did 81 consecutive pushups without stopping, after reading this, no warmup, no nothing. The damn cat that lives with us kept on shedding right on my sweat the whole time, and walking under my torso as I went up on the pushup, and licking my fingertips on the floor, and then nuzzling his whiskers on my face as I was breathing... and generally made it impossible for me to do more. Although it was cute. It was still quite annoying and distracting and ticklish.
    Then again, I'm already in shape (I lifted upper body this morning), so I doubt that what I did is standard.
    I'm going to at least finish off the last 19 right now, once I let the cat out of the computer room.

edit: done with 101 split into two sets.
    context is everything

I can do 100 cookies in a sitting.

I win.

thats cute, rodolfo
    my cats climb all over me whenever im on the floor... pilates, yoga, crunches, im really just their junglegym...

no push ups for me. my left shoulder doesnt like them and trys to dissattach itself from my body...

the last few times i tried pushups, i had to visit the E.R.
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote tipsy View Post
    the last few times i tried pushups, i had to visit the E.R.
    The TV show?

Was George Clooney nice?

he's even better looking in person!
    the aim of life is to live, and to live means to be aware, joyously, dunkenly, serenely, divinely aware.
    -henry miller

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I can do 100 cookies in a sitting.

I win.
    Wow! That is impressive. I can only do about 40.

As for press ups, I did the first in my life last week. I did about 10 and it nearly killed me!!

Quote Cherry View Post
    Wow! That is impressive. I can only do about 40.
    They'd have to be diddy ones. Like those maryland ones type size. I couldn't do more than about 10 humongo-cookies.

Quote bryzee86 View Post
    I couldn't do more than about 10 humongo-cookies.
    wimp
    -henry miller

Quote Poison Ivy View Post
    http://hundredpushups.com/

Anyone interested in partaking of the challenge?...I'm gonna do it mainly as my upper body strength is a little on the non-existent side at the minute and I quite like the idea of being able to do 100 push-ups.

There's also a useful little guide to variations on the traditional push up here, so you can work up to a full push-up the right way.
    Work your way up to it, do 5 or 10 more every few days and you'll soon get there. I try and do 2 sets of 160 with my feet on a chair every morning, and 2 x 30 chin ups on a pull up bar. Seems hard but once you can do them it's pretty easy.
    Some mornings i just can't be arsed though!
    Disobedience is the true foundation of liberty!

The title alone has worn me out already.

*makes Vegcurry a nice cup of tea and invites him over for a sit down*

I might give this a go. I think I'll save the initial test for a time when I'm less hungover though .

I had a go at a 10 minute press up challenge a while ago and got up to 180 by doing 9 every 30 seconds.
    50 is the most I have ever done non stop.
    I might give this a go, although I haven't been doing much bodyweight exercise recently so it may take some time to get back to that standard.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

I can do 25 max in one go, my arms would fall of if i tried to do that many.

I think that the training plan looks good, so I might as well do it because doing pushups is easier to do in the office than my swimming.

Next Monday will be day #1.
    context is everything

100 pushups? Are you kidding me? I just started taking Taekwondo classes and we MUST do pushups as part of the training.

I can't even do ONE real one and struggle to do 20 lame ones on my knees.

But I'm still working on it.

Stu

Quote xrodolfox View Post
    I think that the training plan looks good, so I might as well do it because doing pushups is easier to do in the office than my swimming.
    Yeah, swimming can be quite tricky in the office.

What about making it 100 side ab crunches (bicycle crunches) instead? I've got shoddy shoulders...
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Just out of interest here are all the world records for various press ups in case anyone feels the need to attempt them!

WORLD RECORDS

• non-stop: 10,507; Minoru Yoshida (JAP), Oct 1980 DETAILS
    • one year: 1,500,230; Paddy Doyle (GBR), Oct 1988 - Oct 1989
    • 24 hours: 46,001; Charles Servizio (USA), 24/25 April 1993 at Hesperia
      (new record claim, not yet verified: Jeffrey Warrick (USA), 46300)
    • 1 hour: 3,877; Bijender Singh (IND), 20 Sept 1988 DETAILS AND NATIONAL RECORDS
    • 30 minutes: 2,354; Rolf Heck (GER), 13 Nov 2000
    • 10 minutes (women): 426; Renata Hamplová (TCH), Rekord-Klub SAXONIA Record Festival in Schwedt, 2 Sept 1995
    • 5 minutes: 441; Giuseppe Cusano (GBR), Loftus Road Soccer Stadium at the Fulham v. Portsmouth game on 24 Nov 2003
    • 3 minutes (women): 190; Renata Hamplová (TCH), Record Festival Pelhrimov 1995
    • one minute: Record claims up to 199 in one minute have been made. We do, however, not continue to publish these record claims, because it became impossible to judge about the correctness of the exercises at this speed.
    • one-armed, one week (168 hours): 16,723; Paddy Doyle (GBR), Feb 1996 in Birmingham
    • one-armed, 5 hours: 8,794; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 12 Feb 1996 in Birmingham
    • one-armed, 1 hour: 2521; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 12 Feb 1990 in Birmingham
    • one-armed, 30 minutes: 1382; Doug Pruden (CAN), 30 July 2003 at the Body Quest Health Club Edmonton
    • one-armed, 10 minutes: 546; Doug Pruden (CAN), 30 July 2003 at the Body Quest Health Club Edmonton
    • one-armed, on back of hands, one hour: 677; Doug Pruden (CAN) at the Body Quest Health Club Edmonton, 9 Nov 2005
    • one-handed handstand pushups: Yury Tikhonovich (Russia) did twelve pushups while standing on one hand in June 2006 at the Starclub variete in Kassel (Germany). He repeats this feat almost every day in the rehearsal for his show VIDEO (AVI, 1.3 MB)
    • on fists: 5557 (in 3:02:30 hours), Doug Pruden (CAN), 9 July 2004, Body Quest Health Club Edmonton
    • 1000 pushups on fists: 18:13 minutes, Doug Pruden (CAN), 9 July 2003 at the Body Quest Health Club Edmonton
    • on back of hands, 15 minutes: 627; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 8 November 2007, Stamina's Boxing Self Defence Gym, Erdington, Birmingham RECORD HISTORY
    • on back of hands, 30 minutes: 1386; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 8 November 2007, Stamina's Boxing Self Defence Gym, Erdington, Birmingham RECORD HISTORY
    • on back of hands, 1 hour: 1940; Paddy Doyle (GBR), 8 November 2007, Stamina's Boxing Self Defence Gym, Erdington, Birmingham RECORD HISTORY
    • finger-tips, 5 hours: 8,200; Terry Cole (GBR), 11 May 1996 in Walthamstow
    • one finger: 124 Paul Lynch (GBR), 21 April 1992 in London
    • 100 push-ups with feet at a 80 cm [2 ft 7 1/2 in] high table: 45.7 sec; Roy Berger (CAN), 24 Feb 2001 in Ottawa
    • with a 50 lb [22.68 kg] plate weight on his back: 4,100: Paddy Doyle (GBR), 28 May 1987 in Birmingham
    • with hands on raw eggs: 112; Johann Schneider (AUT) / a video can be downloaded here as Quicktime video (1.2 MB) or AVI video (1.4 MB)
    • 4 hr relay (team of 10): 14907; Gatwick Airport Fire Service (Andrew Horstead, Clwyd Jones, Stuart Coxhill, Steven Bartlett, Jerramy Davison, Darryl Graham, Albert Lawson, Luke Philpott, Darren Hollman, Ian Mclean, Great Britain) at 18 November 2005 at Gatwick Airport

And i do urge you to click on Paddy Doyle and check out the unbelievable records he holds/has held!!!!

Them numbers just made my frail arms collapse in on themselves :/
    Trying just now I could do 5 in a row
    Two things are infinite: the universe and human stupidity; and I'm not sure about the universe-Albert Einstein

I was going to have a go at all those records myself, then I saw that one of them involves eggs, so I won't.
    Worcestershire's fastest veteran vegan mountain bike endurance racer with a beard.

Quote Big Good Wolf View Post
    I was going to have a go at all those records myself, then I saw that one of them involves eggs, so I won't.
    You should work your way through them untill you reach that one then stop!

Pilaf

On my best, most well rested days I could crank out about sixty normal push ups. I've been in weight training for about six months and doubled that from thirty last year. Not bad for a guy who weighs 260 lbs (but I've been told I don't look it because I'm tall and lean)

I can do around 20 pushups and then I keel over, hold my arms and die.

I can do around 50 of the girlie ones before my arms drop off.

Makes me feel really good, so I will work it up until I can do more proper ones and then give it a go!
    The taste of anything in my mouth for 5 seconds does not equate to the beauty and complexity of life.

I've been gradually working out again and I've worked myself up to 40 pushups without any weight training (just wii fit). When I did weight train I remember I used to be able to over 100 but I was vegetarian at the time. I'll make it to 100 again as a vegan!

OK, so being the arrogant 21 year old that I am I thought '100 press ups? easy!'

How wrong I was.

I had to do it in 2 sets of 50 and it was really hurting by the end; I'll keep practicing and report back when I manage 100 consecutive press ups. I'm a runner so I don't tend to do much upper body work but I am aiming to strengthen my core and my upper body as I have heard this is really good for your training....

Quote runnerboy View Post
    OK, so being the arrogant 21 year old that I am I thought '100 press ups? easy!'

How wrong I was.

I had to do it in 2 sets of 50 and it was really hurting by the end; I'll keep practicing and report back when I manage 100 consecutive press ups. I'm a runner so I don't tend to do much upper body work but I am aiming to strengthen my core and my upper body as I have heard this is really good for your training....
    If you're reasonably fit then you'll be surprised at how quick 100 press ups will come round.

I built up to doing between 180 and 200 at a time but i CANNOT get any higher! It's a total wall i hit so i just stop at that now rather than push it the 5 or 10 extra every time!

180 to 200? very impressive!

Holy crap! I'd be impressed with anyone doing 80+ I once got to being able to do 50 in one go, even though it killed my arms. It was a while ago, and even though I've been working out again over the summer, and sticking with weights, push ups are still hard. I can get up to 30, but I'm sure I can reach 35 and then 40 before long. I hope to get back to 50... but 100 consecutive push ups seems insane.
    Czujesz się wolny i robisz co chcesz. Jesteś piratem!

Josef

i could do a hundred pushups.

...i just dont' feel like it.

Quote runnerboy View Post
    180 to 200? very impressive!
    Was back down to 150 this morning, couldn't manage any more, think being in the pub all day on Sunday had something to do with it!

So where's all the folk that were doing this? Must easy be up to 100 by now!

qwerty

Does it one every 100 consecutive days count

I never used to be able to do a push-up and just surprised myself by actually completing some! (I guess the gym's been helping!) I am having one problem, though, I thought that you're not supposed to lie down between push-ups, right? If so, how do you not lay down between them? I'm not having much luck in imagining how not to do so.
    I'm just a love machine and I won't work without a union contract.

cobweb

my wrists are too weak!

Stu

Quote gogs67 View Post
    So where's all the folk that were doing this? Must easy be up to 100 by now!
    Yep, I can do a hundred.

There is a real psychological element though. It seems to be about pacing yourself (for me, anyway). If I aim to do 70, I'll do 70, but it will start to hurt around the 60 mark. So I can just about manage 70.
    If I tell myself that I'm aiming for 100, it'll start to hurt around 90, and I'll just about manage 100. Interesting.

Quote Mila View Post
    I never used to be able to do a push-up and just surprised myself by actually completing some! (I guess the gym's been helping!) I am having one problem, though, I thought that you're not supposed to lie down between push-ups, right? If so, how do you not lay down between them? I'm not having much luck in imagining how not to do so.
    Shows you the technique here!

http://hundredpushups.com/what.html

Quote Stu View Post
    Yep, I can do a hundred.

There is a real psychological element though. It seems to be about pacing yourself (for me, anyway). If I aim to do 70, I'll do 70, but it will start to hurt around the 60 mark. So I can just about manage 70.
    If I tell myself that I'm aiming for 100, it'll start to hurt around 90, and I'll just about manage 100. Interesting.
    It's very psychological. When i'm counting in my head i'll do it 50 then 40 then 30 say, so the last batch of 20 is 'easy' attainable even when 'the burn' is starting!

Stu

So you count backwards? That seems like a good idea. I'll try that.

Quote Stu View Post
    So you count backwards? That seems like a good idea. I'll try that.
    Nah, i just didn't explain it well!

I'll start off counting up to 50 say, once i reach that i start again at zero in my head but my next target will only be 40, once i reach that then another 30 is my goal which seems easier, then 20 and so on till the full amount are done.

For 100 then 40, 30, 20 ,10 is the obvious way to mentaly break it down. By the time you're at 70 then you're not saying '71' to yerself, you're back at 1 with only a target of 20, then 1 with only 10 to go, seems to make it easier!
    Sounds daft but it works!

Pilaf

I'm at eighty or so now but I don't do pushups often. I work my upper body strength at the gym usually. I'd make faster progress if I focused on the pressups but that's not the kind of training I'm into usually.

Quote Pilaf View Post
    I'm at eighty or so now but I don't do pushups often. I work my upper body strength at the gym usually. I'd make faster progress if I focused on the pressups but that's not the kind of training I'm into usually.
    You should read this article!
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/

I just do press ups and pull ups in the house out of force of habit really seein as i'm a bit old to do any fight training any more but i stumbled on that 'planche' article a while ago and wished to hell i'd seen it 20 years ago. I've been trying these for 5 mins every few days for the last few months and can feel a huge difference in my shoulders, upper arms, chest and stomach from even that little training.
    By sheer fluke I got a shot of rings a few weeks ago, a job we were on had them hanging on a frame, and can't believe every gym in the country doesn't have a set of them beside all the $10,000 machines!
    What a work out in only a few mins trying to do dips, lifting up to as far into a handstand as you can go and moving into the cross position etc.
    If i had space in the house i'd have them in a shot, blows away all yer fancy gym equipment.
    You ever tried any gymnastic training like that?

cobweb

cool, i'm going to have a go at that, Gogs! - i always feel like my upper back/neck needs to be stamped back into place, it feels horrible and i keep getting headaches, i reckon that might help (and my wrists prefer being stationary rather that up/down movements).

Quote cobweb View Post
    cool, i'm going to have a go at that, Gogs! - i always feel like my upper back/neck needs to be stamped back into place, it feels horrible and i keep getting headaches, i reckon that might help (and my wrosts prefer being stationary rather that up/down movements).
    Haha, brilliant. Let me know how you're getting on. It feels incredibly difficult when you start but it's amazing how quick your balance and strength increase.
    Saying that, i've not long moved on from hitting 60 seconds in one go in the frog stance, to the tuck planche, and i'm lucky if i can do sets of 10 seconds at that!
    As for the 'Tuck front lever'..........well.............looks easy in the pics but i struggled to even lift my knees to waist height the first time, let alone have my hips horizontal, lol!
    I've only been at it a few times mind you but it's sad when i cant even get into the 'start' position for the exercise let alone hold it for a full 60 seconds!

cobweb

ha-ha, meant to say my 'wrists' not 'wrosts', sounds like something from 'Allo Allo'

yep, i should imagine it aint easy, i will try later when my current headache disappears

Hmmm.. the most I ever did was 50, but if I REALLY, really wanted to, maybe 80. I don't know about 100.. *A*

I'll try right now. ^^
    I'mma 13 year old girl, though.
    Maybe I can do more when I'm older.

So dead tired!
    -gasps for air-

I did 70, but I admit I took some 5 second breaks between the last pushups and on a lot of them I didn't go all the way down.

But 50 is my best if you're asking for really proper pushups..
    Wow.. sweating right now. Nice work out. It's kind of hard to type when I feel so tingly in my arms.

Pilaf

Quote gogs67 View Post
    You should read this article!
    http://www.dragondoor.com/articler/mode3/229/
    Yeah thanks but no thanks. I tried one of those programs once and got a lot weaker. My body responds better to weight lifting. Plus I'm not all that interested in an "olympic body" anyway.

Quote Pilaf View Post
    Yeah thanks but no thanks. I tried one of those programs once and got a lot weaker. My body responds better to weight lifting. Plus I'm not all that interested in an "olympic body" anyway.
    I think the gist of that guys article was to use these exercises as a supplement to your existing routine though, not as a substitute!
    As an aside are you weightlifting as a hobby or for a specific sport?