Thread: holiday in turkey

Default holiday in turkey

Hi everyone, just wondering if anyone here has ever been to Turkey as a vegan, and what is there to eat if so? i am going there in a few weeks and wondering if things like bread will be ok? il probably live of salad and vegetables! and pack some nuts etc as i imagine i won't trust the waiters too much unless they have good understanding of no meat or dairy, bones!, fish,meat stocks etc! any advice is apreciated

Default Re: holiday in turkey

From what my dad says, they eat similarly to traditional middle-eastern food. Sometimes they'll have some dairy in there like yogurts or goats milk. And they eat lamb - which you'd obviously recognize. I don't think you'll have a problem.

Do you have a vegan passport from vegsociety? I'm looking into getting one, it seems like a really good idea. That way you can avoid having to translate things and you can just hand them the booklet.
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

A vegan passport, il look into that, thanks!

The vegan passport is a good idea.
    If they understand what you want than they will serve you delicious meals ... mmm.

I dont know about the bread .... Its often pita bread like ... I think they sometimes go over them with some egg to get the sesame seeds to stick. Not sure about that, it can be oil too. Lots of lovely salads, dips, vegetable, lentil dishes and hummus in Turkey (it depends on where you are going).

nope, egg is not typical on pita.

I got bored with the food after a week but there were salads and vegetables and fruit and bread everywhere that I could eat: they just tend to overcook veg and smother dishes in tomato sauce.

I would bring a few jars of spreads for picnics. Turkey is gorgeous!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair

thanks everyone, i got a vegan passport from the vegan society so i can use that if needs be, il prob get some eye rolling of my mum and sister who dont understand why im vegan and dont want to either! they will be embarassed by me ! ah well..

omni mums and sisters can be useful: they eat every restaurant mistake you get served. No guilt about wasting food.

Also, if hotels etc want to push your family into buffet meals then I would (charmingly) have each dish described in micro-gram and then settle on a vegan discount. Fair is fair. Turkish hospitality is grand; don't be afraid to be spoiled!
    the only animal ingredient in my food is cat hair