Thread: Hemp Protein (!!!)

songlife

Exclamation Hemp Protein (!!!)

Hemp seeds are remarkable, having all your essential amino acids and fibre and everything. It's protein is very special. I've been a big fan of hemp protein for a long time but I'm having trouble trying to sift through all the controversy between hemp and soy. Some places say soy is great for you, some say it will kill you. Some say things like this:

"One of the common arguments against hemp is that soy has a much higher total protein count then hemp seeds. But hemp seed protein is free of the tryspin inhibitors which block protein absorption that is found in abundance in soy. Hemp protein is also free of oligosaccharides found in soy, which cause stomach upset and gas." (from this page: http://www.hempfood.ca/high-protein-food.ihtml )

but other pages, like this one: http://www.enerex.ca/articles/soy_pr...mp_protein.htm
    argue that soy is actually more complete.

this is the product I use, and I can say I'm overwhelmingly impressed by it: http://www.ruthshempfoods.com/protein/hemp_protein.html

They also point out that it's completely raw and not chemically processed like MOST soy products.

I'm trying to find out what I should be doing with myself, if I should be taking soy as well as hemp, and if so, WHAT type of soy product. I'm really not into the whole idea I've been told (by people who seem to know what they're doing) about how soy is overwhelmingly chemically produced, and has all these other elements in it that prevent you from accessing the nutrients, and it actually robs your body of other nutrients, blar blar, I want to find out the truth

Thank you

Default Re: Hemp Protein (!!!)

I like hemp protein. It tastes WAY better than soy protein. I hate soy protein! And pea protein!

Hemp protein tastes good in smoothies, so it doesn't even matter if we need more protein or not, it's just tasty. Just consider it as a healthy food and not a protein supplement, if you don't think we need protein supplements.

Hemp also has good amount of Omega 3 and 6 doesn't it?

songlife

Quote E.F. View Post
    Why are you taking either of them in the first place? Adequate protein amounts? Protein is way overhyped, we need only about 10 % of our diet to be protein, if that.... Scrap both.
    well... I know we don't need loads of protein and I by no means overload myself. But I know that we need some, and more importantly we need all our essential amino acids (the ones our body can't produce). Plus it's got tons of fibre and other stuff.

Also I want to be able to answer questions about various proteins, especially to people who work out hardcore and who do need more protein than the rest of us. Namely, my brother, as I'm trying to convert him from whey protein to hemp. teehee

Slightly off topic, but i recently bought some hemp protein off the internet and was wandering how much is an adequate dose per day is? I've been having a smallish spoonful on my breakfast but was not sure if that was enough.
    Although I try to have 'in-built' sources of protein in my diet like legumes, tofu etc but as a student sometimes i'm pushed for time and dont get these other sources every day and was hoping that hemp protein sometimes would help make up the deficit?

cheers, PEACE

I am not sure if this help, but these are my thoughts on hemp.
    Hemp protein is the best. Although, both soy and hemp are "complete" proteins, hemp is superior for sure! Like you said, the amount of processing involved to produce soy protein is not good for you. The processed soy protein would leach necessary nutrients to metabolize itself, instead of having hemp rely on itself to do all the work. I read that article you sited on soy protein and it was interesting. They think that there is just a hype about hemp protein, but I am very skeptical about articles because I don't know who wrote it and what their motives are. The company that provided that article sells soy protein, but not hemp. They sell the worst kind too, isolated soy protein. I have been using hemp protein in my smoothies and it is so perfect. It doesn't make me bloated like soy and pea protein does. I love it. The last thing you want from your morning smoothie is GAS to share with everyone at work - right?

I would rather use more whole foods as protein sources - but when you want an addition to smoothies, it is great. I would avoid soy protein powder and use whole soy food such as tofu, tempeh, soy milk, edamame, etc. The great thing about hemp is that it is raw and cold processed, so the nutrients stay intact and no added enrichment is needed.

Kismet -The container specifies a serving size as 4 tablespoons, but I use about 2-3 instead. I think that depending on what you need that day you can add or subtract to meet your protein needs. I love that per serving (4 tbsp) there is 9 grams of fiber, 13 grams of protein, Iron (30%), Magnesium (47%), and Potassium (10%), organic, raw, vegan (duh), non-GMO, gluten free, and cold processed...(read that from the label of Living Harvest Hemp Protein).

BJJNick --- you are right, there is a great ratio of omega 3 and omega 6 EFAs. Considering diets are usually much higher in omega 6 EFAs, this will help to balance that out.

In the hemp protein powder - one serving (4 tbsp) has 600 mg of omega 3 and 1700 mg omega 6.

In the plain hemp seeds - one serving (3 tbsp) has 3 grams omega 3 and 7.5 grams of omega 6 (using the actual seed would be a better source of these fatty acids)

Also ---use the plain hemp seeds. They are cute tiny little seeds, but they pack a huge nutritional punch. I use them in salads, oatmeal, smoothies, sandwiches, pesto, anything really. Instead of using non-dairy milk, you can blend a couple tablespoons of the seeds with pure water and you have a great base for smoothies. Its yummy. They are nutty and delish. Try them if you haven't already!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"~ Gandhi

lauradawn you sound like an advertisement for hempseeds!! lol
    well i have heard hempseeds have highly digestable proteins, but from comparing soya protein to hemp protein (powders), hemp has a considerably low amount. however, i think we consume too much soya so i think hemp is probably the best bet... however i am no expert...

on the protein issue, i was flicking through earl mindell's "the vitamin bible" the other day, and if you are above 19 you can calculate your daily protein requirement as follows (i assume it is different for bodybuilders):

weight in pounds x 0.36 = number of grams of protein to consume per day

I know - I did totally sound like an advertisement! I thought that when I re-read it. I should be getting paid for that!
    I agree with you on the fact that most people get a lot of soy protein. It's obviously important to vary your sources of protein and I love both of them - so there you go!
    "Be the change you wish to see in the world"~ Gandhi

Can you get hemp seeds at health food stores? Or would I need to order them online?

weight in kilos is the number of grams of the most you need of protein a day
    eg I'm 65KG so the most protein I need a day is 65g
    and that's easy to get just from a normal vegan diet, cereal with soya milk for breakfast, good lunch and a good evening meal. eating wholemeal bread helps too
    of course it is important to remember people with different types have different protein needs. type a the least and o and B the most. although the research behind that is more corollary than true evidence.

Zero

Quote bradders View Post
    weight in kilos is the number of grams of the most you need of protein a day
    eg I'm 65KG so the most protein I need a day is 65g
    I am a bit skeptical of that view to be honest, I am 6'3" and 85kg but there is no way I would eat 85g of protein in a day. It's more like 50 - 60g generally.

But if it's working for you who am I to argue

Quote BJJNick View Post
    Can you get hemp seeds at health food stores? Or would I need to order them online?
    Some health food stores stock them, some shelled some not (they are edible either way, just very crunchy with the shells on), but you can order whatever you need online if you can't find them locally.

I'd just say have a look at the nuitrition info and do some sums.
    Anyway on the point of hemp seeds most supermarkets stock them, even the small Tescos and the golden ones they do are really yummy as a snack.

golden hemp seeds?

You mean linseeds?

silly bradders.

no I mean golden hemp seeds, their hemp seeds in raw cane rugar

sorry, correcting my own grammar it's 'they're' not 'their'

Zero

Quote bradders View Post
    sorry, correcting my own grammar it's 'they're' not 'their'
    There's an edit button at the bottom of your posts you know Bradster!

ha ha, didn't know that but I do now