Thread: Travelling to Holland

Default Travelling to Holland

Belgium, Northern France and Germany in September... We'll be spending most time in Holland...where I'm, my family, is from...

How hard is it to be Vegan in Holland? We'll be in Amsterdam and spend a good amount of time near Utrecht (Kedicham, etc) I don't mind the challenge, but does anyone have any tips? What about in Blegium, Northern France and Koln, Dusseldorf areas of Germany?

Any tips, advice, must eats, etc. etc. are appreciated greatly! Thank you!!

Default Re: Travelling to Holland,

I went to Amsterdam for about a week at the very beginning of my veganism and cant remember very much about it. I think I stuck to fruits from the hotel; or lunches, salads. I ate a lot of tomato dishes and roasted veggies for dinners. I'd check on the beers there, as well. They spoke relatively good English in Amsterdam. I went to the huge supermarket downtown, errr I totally forget what it's called, but they had tons of stuff - soy milk, fruits, veggies, and even g-free stuff.

Germany was hard for me because I hadnt yet started using the internet to find veg*n places to eat. I've heard of a few places in Munich that are veg*n. That's not really the same area, though. I stuck to what I knew, like potatoes and roasted veggies. I think the hardest part was that the majority of the people I came in contact with didn't speak english. I did most of my shopping at the supermarket when in Munich.

I dont know about France, its been like 10 years since I've been. If you dont speak the languages (German, French, Dutch, etc), I'd get a vegan passport for vegsociety.

There's a few members on here from Germany and France, so maybe you can PM them! This sounds like an awesome trip!! Have a great time!
    “I am not afraid of storms, for I am learning how to sail my ship.” ~ Alcott

Default Re: Travelling to Holland

I'm Dutch but living in France. It's no problem eating vegan in the Netherlands, particularly not in Amsterdam and Utrecht. The first and most obvious thing to do is to find organic stores. Ask any local for "natuurvoeding" or "biologische winkel". There's a list of vegan/veggie restaurants, see: http://www.veganisme.org/?restaurant

The first part of the list concerns vegan only restaurants - call first because they might not be open anymore. The second part is vegetarian restaurants with vegan options. The third part concerns omni restaurants with vegan options. My favorite restaurant in Amsterdam is De Waaghals. But De Bolhoed is very popular too.

I think this website is quite good
    http://www.happycow.net
    although as Taaitaai said - it is best to phone ahead as places do sometimes close.

Two good health storeish supermarkets in Germany are Alnatura and Basic Bio. (Koln is very pretty imho)

When I was in Belgium there was a really nice restaurant in Ghent which had an all vegan buffet and also another place that had good vegan ice cream.
    The day breaks and everything is new.

I had no problem whatsoever in Utrecht, Rotterdam and Amsterdam just wandering around without help from the internet.